Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #1

Unhappy Headlight Failure 2002 Bxstr S

Last weekend, I turned on my headlights and nothing happened. I pulled the light switch to "driving/fog light" mode and still nothing. I noticed that the indicator light on the light switch did not illuminate when I turned on the driving/fog lamps either. All of the park lights come on as usual. If I pull the turn signal stalk the high beams function as usual. Any suggestions!!!! The vehicle is garage kept and I drive it a few days out of the month.

TexasBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #2

Garage
Fuse? Wiring to the switch?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #3

My guess is that either the headlight switch or the ignition switch are bad (assuming you have checked the fuses).
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #4

My ignition switch went bad and i had to jiggle it to get the headlights to work. That was a nice 750 dollar bill from Porsche.
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #5

Angry Thanks for the heads up

I checked the fuses slots A-9 A10 and A-7. All of them had been completely removed!!!! When I looked in the fuse boearlier I did not have the diagram available to me. I assumed they were blank spots in the box. I checked all of the other installed fuses and they were all fine.

I am now on my way to the dealer that services my car. I recently had it inspected, so he was they were the last people to touch my Boxster.
TexasBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #6

mine did the same thing. I have a 2002 S. I found that it was my light switch. It was dirty and did not make the internal contacts. I used some electrical cleaner in a can and shot it into the switch. let it dry, and flicked the switch a few times.
Like snapping your fingers and turn the switch. Three seconds later, I had lights and it has worked there after.

James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #7

Lights later

My 2004 S headlights only come on after the switch has been turned on for anywhere from a few minutes up to 45 minutes. All the other light positions work properly. The colder it is the longer it takes.
It's going to the dealer for repair under a certified used warranty in a few weeks so with any luck the cost will be minimal.
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #8

I appear to be experiencing similar conditions, when I first switch the lights on they come on, but if I switch back or flick the high beams on I lose the low beams entirely. I can switch back to "start"mode and then my daytime running lights work again. Has replacing the headlight switch helped others?

Thanks
Gary
gbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #9

My car had similar symptoms. I pulled my headlight switch, took it apart, filed the contacts with a points file (use for smoothing down ignition points on motorcycles) and put it back together. That was about 6 months ago and no problems since.

The switch is not intended to come apart. It wasn't easy to re-build.

Try pulling the fog lights on and then smacking it back in. If your headlights come on, then it's probably the headlight switch. The switch isn't that expensive, and as long as you're not re-building it yourself, it's pretty easy to swap out. (you'll need to find one of the DIY guides that have been posted here or on Renntech about switch replacement though, since there are one or two little tricks to getting it out.)
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #10

Mine just failed again, a bit more than 3 years later. Took it apart again, and applied the same fix again. Worked like a charm. Hopefully, I get another 3 years out of it.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer311 View Post
My car had similar symptoms. I pulled my headlight switch, took it apart, filed the contacts with a points file (use for smoothing down ignition points on motorcycles) and put it back together. That was about 6 months ago and no problems since.

The switch is not intended to come apart. It wasn't easy to re-build.

Try pulling the fog lights on and then smacking it back in. If your headlights come on, then it's probably the headlight switch. The switch isn't that expensive, and as long as you're not re-building it yourself, it's pretty easy to swap out. (you'll need to find one of the DIY guides that have been posted here or on Renntech about switch replacement though, since there are one or two little tricks to getting it out.)
Hey Roadracer311 - The Litronic headlights on my 03 S just flickered a bit then stopped working. I followed your lead and pulled the light switch out to engage fogs and pushed the switch in briskly and, the headlights are on again.

When you say "switch replacement", are you speaking of the knob used to turn lights on/off or an electronic relay of sorts??

All the best!