986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rear speaker kit source (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/19042-rear-speaker-kit-source.html)

shaman1204 12-13-2008 12:36 PM

Rear speaker kit source

The girlfriend wants to know what I want for xmas, so I think I want her to get the rear speaker kit for my 2001. I know Sunset has them but I was just asking to see if anyone has procured one for a good price lately?

Burg Boxster 12-13-2008 12:57 PM

Sunset has an ad in this month's Panorama w/ a price or $79.86
Best I've seen so far...

If you already have door speakers (the M490 or M680 hi-fi package) you might want to tell them you have an '03. This way you also get the extension harness at no charge. Currently you won't need it but the extension harness will allow you to power them off the AMP in the front trunk. Your current amp (4ch x 40W) will not power these so you will have to run them off the head unit/radio (at 18W) for the time being. However, 6x40W amps can usually be found on eBay for ~ $50. It's a worthwhile upgrade to drop one (a 6x40) in to power these speakers evenly w/ the door and dash speakers. This way, you won't have to spend money on the extension harness later on...

Adding rear speakers is a nice addition. Act surprised when you open them ;)

shaman1204 12-13-2008 01:46 PM

Cool, thanks.

shaman1204 12-17-2008 09:32 AM

Merry X mas to me! I just won a 996 6x40 amp off of ebay for $48 shipped. How difficult is the amp swap?

Burg Boxster 12-17-2008 10:23 AM

Congrats! It's extremely easy but make absolutely sure you got the amp that is compatible w/ your system as there are 2 versions (3 if you include the MOST fiber-optic from '03-04).

Anyhow, the 2 main versions are M490 or M680. M680 has the DSP controller by the "batwing".

All you need to do is run the rear speaker leads from the cabin to the front trunk (remove battery and poke hole thru rubber grommet behind battery. In the cabin, this will be approx 6" directly above the gas pedal). Feed the rear speaker wires thru grommet in firewall. Once thru, then along firewall towards passenger side and thru grommet leading to trunk compartment (from battery tray area). Run behind trunk carpet back over to AMP. If you have the M490 system, the wires get plugged into the 5, 15, 6 and 16 pins on connector. They might be the same on the M680 but I'm not 100% sure. For posterity in case anyone reads this thread, there are 2 different pairs you need for the '03-'04 MOST AMPs.

Then, take your new AMP and with a utility knife trim off the extra tabs on the inside of the larger plug. On your existing AMP it's the blue plug - on the new one it's most likely white. Use your existing 4ch amp to see which ones need removed on the new amp. Then just plug in the new AMP and you'll be good to go. :)

One more note...since you have an '01 - make sure you have your 4 digit radio code before you begin (check owners manual for card or note or options sticker under front hood). After you reconnect the battery you'll need to input the security code to get it to work.

Here are the best set of instructions I've found for installing the rear speaker kits... PNP Virginia Rear Speaker Kit Directions

Good luck and congrats! :cheers:

fragdude 12-17-2008 11:52 AM

$48 seems like an awesome deal, haven't found anything like that on ebay. All the amps I can find are m680s. Im assuming that the DSP controller is necessary and would have to be installed as well by myself? unfortunately I don't think the ebay sellers are selling them together...

rick3000 12-17-2008 02:10 PM

There $80 at Sunset, I paid $130 in June!
The rear speakers definitely worth it, especially at $80. The install can be a bit tricky but the difference in sound is noticeable, especially if you have a hardtop. Amps help, but the biggest sound difference comes from replacing the dash and door speakers. Unfortunately, those are both harder to DIY because it is all custom.

shaman1204 12-17-2008 05:54 PM

Whew! I just checked about the M490 or M680 thing on the 996 amp that I won on ebay. Luckily, it's the M490, part number 996.645.311.00 and I have the M490 package in the Boxster, so I should be good to go. Thanks for all the info.

threpwood 12-17-2008 06:00 PM

I think you should skip the rear speaker kit (the boxster rear console) because the speakers are too small to make any good impact.

I have this rear speaker kit in my boxster but wished that I didn't get that and just went with larger speakers or maybe a pair of sub. Just my 2 cents.

shaman1204 12-17-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threpwood
I think you should skip the rear speaker kit (the boxster rear console) because the speakers are too small to make any good impact.

I have this rear speaker kit in my boxster but wished that I didn't get that and just went with larger speakers or maybe a pair of sub. Just my 2 cents.

I have already replaced the dash speakers with Infinitis and figured this would help fill out the sound.

threpwood 12-17-2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaman1204
I have already replaced the dash speakers with Infinitis and figured this would help fill out the sound.

It won't do much though unless you can find speakers that are up to the standard at that size. I have similar speakers with subs on door sides and tweeters on front dash, with a very strong amp on the front trunk powering all speakers including the rear tiny speakers.

The rear tiny speakers are barely noticeable...and if you noticed it, trust me you don't want those kind of speakers in boxster. If not for the rear kit additional storage space, it has no value. I don't really regret it though because it gives me a reason to upgrade them one of these days :p