Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #1

faint buzz or whistling sound

I've a 2000 Boxster w/ 45k mi, that's making an intermittent low-pitched monotone hum or buzzing sound that I need to ID.

At first it was very faint, sounding like a bad wheel bearing humming. It would come and go and did not change tone, etc w/ changes in engine/vehicle speed. Now its louder although still faint -- and still sounds like bad wheel bearings I've heard. Porsche mechanic said that's not it, but I'm not convinced he heard it. Anyhow, it sounds like it could be coming from the front or right side of the car, which has me thinking it's a radiator fan. But, it could be coming from the right air vent i.e., engine compartment. I can't get it to happen when the car is parked, of course. (And I'm deaf in my left ear so the **** sound could be coming from anyplace ....). No helpful CEL codes.

Many Thanks

jefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #2

Boxster right front buzzing sound

I also have the same problem.... It happens at all speeds... 15-50..... The sound will go away when I push in the clutch and let off the gas. when I push the gas after shifting, it comes back..... If I am cruzing down the road, and just let off the gas a little bit, it will go away.....Car is at the dealer right now.... He wants me to identify the noise while he is in the passanger side.... Looks like I will be switching dealers after this stint........
riva24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #3

I have the same problem and mine is very faint. Noise goes away when I push in the clutch. I figured it was a heat shield vibration problem although it has not bothered me enought to lift the car and identify it for sure.

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #4

Garage
I had a similar buzz and creak at slow speeds, turned out to be the door latch. A bit of WD40 and it was gone! Always a good day when you eliminate an annoying noise.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #5

I posted a follow-up on this mystery noise. It turned out that the whistle was coming from the vent located next to the fuel filler (inside the filler door, toward the front). The vent is part of the fuel evap system; the sound is air being blown out (or was it sucked in). I experimented with fooling with the airstream to kill the whistle, which worked. Experiments included covering the vent w/ a screen and covering it with tape. All worked. Eventually the thing just stopped whistling even w/ no tape, although it has just started coming back.

Good luck
jefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #6

I have a similar problem, I hear a high pitch whining or whistling sound when I have the gas pressed to about 15-20% throttle, and it is in all gears. Others in the car can't hear it that easily but I can now hear it on the dot when it happens. Right when I hit that RPM range/gas pedal range in each gear it makes the noise.

I have the tiptronic transmission also and not sure if it's related to my transmission. The only incident that I can think of that might be correlated with this is a nightmare incident that happened to me... I was driving down the road at 30mph while in a huge fight with my woman, when she decided to shift the car into Park. My heart sank but I am hoping she is not the cause of a new problem since I just spent a week fixing other probs just a month ago. does anyone know if this can be the cause of the noise OR what else her dumb mistake might have cost me?
ut_cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I get a faint honk or buzz sound coming from around the fuel filler neck when i turn the engine off after about 4 minutes of more of running the engine... Would this be the vent valve thats mounted around the fuel filler neck that is right below the plastic cover (pictured below) or something else? Thanks in advance Guys

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote