Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 AM   #1

Angry I need a new Engine, where to buy? Please help

Well after the warranty company made me pay $2k in useless parts and to tear down the engine to show them the broken piston they denied by claim. I know it is a horrific expereince and I am talking to lawyers etc BUT I need my car running and I cant spend the 17K Porsche is asking. I got another qoute for 11K with a 2 year warranty on the engine but i kind of want to stay in the 4-5K range. Can anyone direct me where to go to get a reliable used engine for this price?? Its a 2001 Boxster S. Thanks for your help.

BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:51 AM   #2

Why not get one of the Raby builds? Even a stock spec engine is going to have upgraded parts.
Chris
Old 11-25-2008, 06:02 AM   #3

Where can I get that at and how much?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:31 AM   #4

www.flat6innovations.com, a board sponsor. You will get a professionally re-engineered M96 motor, that will not implode. However, you will not get it for $4-5k as your post specifies. If you buy a used motor off eBay or a dismantler, you're going to face the same problem or someone will, if you sell it after replacement.

Sorry to hear of your troubles and the warranty company jumping ship on you. They are a bunch of crooks, if you want my opinion. Better to just stick a thou or two in an account annually and self-insure rather than give your money to the profiteers.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #5

I did look on there and they have like a couple engines left but they have a 2.7L with a Min of 240 hp. I really want a 3.2 or higher. One indie shop said they can get me a 3.2 Reman by Porsche for 10K installed with a 2 year warranty..
Old 11-25-2008, 06:40 AM   #6

Several options, none of them $5k

Link

As you are going to pay $1-2k for labor just to remove and replace a crate engine most places.

That only leaves $3-4k for an engine and 3.2s generally sell for more than that used in running condition.

If only Porsche engines that were rebuilt and reliable sold for prices that Chevy engines go for...but it doesn't happen.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #7

Thanks Mike, the engine is already out of the car as i had to approve that to show the warranty company the broken part and take pictures. So the shop is charging me 750 to drop in a new engine in a empty car. I might suck it up and get a 3.2 Reman since it has the 2 year warranty so I can be in the piece of mind.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #8

I found a couple of motors on ebay that were in that price range that you would work. Simply search Boxster Motor.
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #9

Garage
Oklahoma Foreign here in Oklahoma City are always putting engines on EBay. They're strictly a Porsche salvage company. I'm luckily only 10 miles from my favorite place for used Boxster parts. :dance:
Old 11-28-2008, 04:13 AM   #10
EE3racing

My two cents....... If I had a M96 engine blow I would never spend that kind of cash to cross my fingers again. Face it, we all crave more power & speed but these cars go like snot even in the so called anemic 2.5 version. I hope to have the flat six options performed on my car before it has any trouble. The 2.5 grows to 2.7 and gains healthy torque & HP more importantly, the engine becomes reliable..

PS If you have no legal option against said warranty company then go to war! Write letters to your state attorney general, make sure you tell them you intend on doing it. Tell them you will post on the net and do everything in your power to dissuade anyone from ever using their service again. Even though you probably won't, tell them you will put a sign on your car that they screwed you and drive it everywhere (that worked like a charm when I proposed it) In short, they need to know you will do everything legally possible to make their life a nightmare and cost them further business. I had to do it to a boat dealer once and when the smoke cleared they were begging me for a equitable solution or willing to refund my money..good luck!

Last edited by EE3racing; 11-28-2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #11

For the other Boxster S owners on this board do you mind sharing how your engine failed and how many miles it had on it? It sounds like you had a broken piston. Did the piston really just crack? That's not a common failure mode that I've heard of on these cars.

As to what to do.... well you're in a GREAT position with the shop willing to drop in another engine for only $750. You DEFINITELY should get a replacement for your 3.2L. Why on earth you'd want another 3.2L though is beyond me. For just about the same money you can get an e-gas 3.4L which will fit with minor changes.

Personally I would call the national Porsche dismantlers to see what they have. Remember that now is a buyer's market, so don't be afraid to haggle and work a good deal for yourself. The economy is slowing down ALL business these days. I would recommend Silver Star Recycling in Sacramento, CA. I believe Oklahoma Foreign is good too. I know Silver Star compression checks their engines and will let you know how many miles were on it. Their engines also come with a 30 day warranty, so if it's a total dud you'll get your money back. I would bet that you can get a 3.2L or 3.4L from them for $4K to $5K (before haggling). Now on top of that you'll want to do a little more work while the engine is out of the car, like the water pump and clutch, so figure maybe another $1K in parts.

In the end, a used engine like this is going to be half the cost of a Porsche remanufactured engine or Raby rebuild, plus you get to keep your core (old engine) or sell it. I know you're concerned about the assurance of having somethings that's good, but at these costs I see it as a no-brainer. Buy a used engine and if it only lasts 5 years and you have to swap in another one, you're still just maybe breaking even with your other options, if not still money ahead.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #12

First off, I would not recommend a 3.4. The 3.4 has the highest rate of "D-chunk" failures, due to running the same bore spacing as the 3.2. The only way to get the increased displacement is thinner cylinder walls.

If you are looking for a factory Porsche motor, I would recommend a 3.6, or even better, a 3.8. I'd also look for a "new" motor (i.e. one pulled from a wreck) vs a factory rebuild.

If you're considering the $10k for a factory 3.2, I would much rather give my money to Raby and get a quality re-engineered powerplant, if it were me.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but as has been pointed out, it is absolutely a buyer's market for everything in our current economy, so shop wisely.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #13

>The 3.4 has the highest rate of "D-chunk" failures

True, I'd personally take my chances... but I don't frequent the 911 boards enough to know how much (how frequent) of a problem this is. Maybe I should count my blessings for having a 3.2L.

>I would recommend a 3.6, or even better, a 3.8.

He's got an '01 Boxster S. Going to a 3.6 or 3.8 would require more parts and a lot more headaches. JP just gave up on his 3.6L conversion for this reason. I think that with this guy being concerned about price, going to a 3.6 or 3.8 might be a stretch for him.

>it is absolutely a buyer's market for everything in our current economy

I can't believe how cheap some things are getting. My Assistant wants to buy an '05+ Mercedes SLK350. We went and test drove one several weeks ago and I checked out the used pricing. It looked like $30K could get a decent one, $28K was rock bottom. NOW I see that two low mile (20,000 miles) SLK350's sold on eBay for $19K and $20K, and it seems that most decent ones are going for $24K. So I've seen the prices on this particular used model drop by 20% in the last two months on eBay and Autotrader. That's just crazy!!!

Kirk
Old 11-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #14

Actually, the 3.6 or 3.8 isn't that much more work- talk to Tholyoak as he has done plenty, and is just finishing a 3.8 into an 01 S. I am also planning a 3.8 into my car one of these days, I'm just waiting to find the right motor, which in the current economy, might not be too difficult

And yes, I agree, its sickening how cheap things have gotten. I just picked up a new winter car, and wound up with a 98 BMW 740i with a 60k motor and a brand new transmission, as well as new brakes, exhaust, suspension bits and 18" BBS RK's for $4k. The body is about average for its age, the interior is pretty nice, but either way, I'm not going to complain!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #15

>Actually, the 3.6 or 3.8 isn't that much more work

I'll just agree to disagree with you on that point. I know that Tholyoak can do these conversions blind folded and with one arm tied behind his back, but for most shops and weekend mechanics it's not that easy. I don't think it's real clear how to cleanly address the cam timing control difference when putting one of the newer engines in an older car. Again, case in point, JP has his 3.6L for sale now after giving up on his conversion. If I was going to do it I think I'd do the whole swap and then ship it to Todd for the final touches.

>wound up with a 98 BMW 740i with a 60k motor and a brand new transmission, as well as new brakes, exhaust, suspension bits and 18" BBS RK's for $4k.

WOW!!! You are a lucky man. That sounds like quite a deal on a very decent daily driver. I've been looking but have not been so lucky.

Kirk
Old 11-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #16

Well, thankfully for my swap plans, Tholyoak and I are in the same city, but if you do the research (which is posted on Renntech), the swap for the VarioCam Plus motors into the VarioCam cars isn't all that difficult, but you will need access to a PST2. Your idea of shipping the car to Todd to make the electronics work isn't a bad one, however.

As to my new 7, it's far from a perfect car but I think it'll make for a decent daily. I'm actually rather excited to have a car again that I don't care about and park it anywhere!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #17

Thanks for all the replies guys. Yes I am still fighting the warranty company, it has escaladed up to the President and he even denied me. Its going to coporate right now.
As for an engine i did make an offer on Ebay for 3500 on a 2001 S but the link seems very shady as there isnt much description on it. It does say 100 day warranty. I might also have the check out the Oklahoma and Silver Star deals. Also i would LOVE to put in a 3.6 or 3.8 but i dont think the shop will do that?

Here is the motor: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150296769670&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.shop.ebay.com%3A80%2F__%3F_ from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm39%26_nkw%3D150296769670%2 6_nd1%3D%26_fvi%3D1
Old 12-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #18
EE3racing

Did you tell the ceo you are in contact with the state attorney general? Worth a shot, if my engine ever blows, and even if it doesn't, I may have to do what I never thought I would and go back to Japan

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=7241
Old 12-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #19

I only know of one dismantler in Rancho Cordova. That's Silver Star Recycling. The phone number doesn't match up though. Also on Silver Star's website their old eBay user name has been canceled.... I'm thinking that this auction is run by Silver Star but they're being kind of incognito about it.

The description of the engine being "remanufactured" is a bit false. If all they did is put new head gaskets on the thing, then I'd hardly consider it to be remanufactured, and certainly not like a Porsche reman engine.

Bottom line, I'd give them a call and ask them for a bit of history on the engine and more detail on what was replaced or refreshed as a part of their "remanufacture" job.

Kirk
Old 12-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #20

I would certainly ask what has been done to the motor for them to consider it "remanufactured." Looks sketchy to me. Also, keep in mind a warranty from a worthless company is worthless, as it sounds like you are unfortunately finding out currently.