Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #1

Question very tall drivers / custom seats?

Hi, I'm new to this excellent forum, and wonder if any of you are able to drive and love your Boxster while being tall. (I tried several searches of the forum but couldn't locate one exactly on point.)

I'm 6'5 1/2" tall, 220 lbs, not to put too fine a point on it.

Whenever I've had the need for speed, I've ridden a BMW motorcycle, which is adequate for the tall body type, but I've reached an age of encroaching sanity, and I swore that I would "get a sports car" after my last major accident/surgery, if I ever got the jones again.

And I really like the Boxster. I went down to my local Porsche dealer and he tried to sell me on a used 911 for the headroom, but I like the Boxster. I suppose I should rent a Boxster for a weekend to see if it works. (I could talk myself into anything on a test drive.)

I've been told that custom upholsterers can put in thinner, denser foam in the driver's seat, but this might present problems with heated seats?

Any experiences and advice welcomed.

dporcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
bmussatti

dporcella, well a lot depends if you are long legged or long waisted too. The 987 Boxster will have more leg & head room than the 986 Boxster.

GT3 seats might help too, but could sacrifice some comfort.

I am 6'2" and the Boxster is great.

Funny, I have more head-room in the Boxster than I do in my Ford Explorer.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am about 6' 1" and have no problem with fitting in my 986. You seem to be about 4.5" taller, but I don't think it should be a problem. A lot of taller boxster owners also do the GT3 center console delete to get more room. There are also a few threads on this, so search it.
Hope this Helps!

Last edited by rick3000; 11-03-2007 at 08:03 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #4

Time for a "foam ecctomy" of the bottom seat cushion or aftermarket seats. Perhaps even with custom rails to get you low enough (but not too low, I think there is a computer under the drivers seat)..
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
im 6 1 and no problems here (other than my mohawk haha), with hardtop its even worse tho, but softtop is fine.
i htink that you will be fine, but 987 sure do have more room.
gt3 seats will lower you a little if all you are catching is a little bit on top
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There is infact the cars computer under the driver seat, so you can go too low. But I think GT3 seats drop you down about 1-2".
Old 11-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #7

Smile admlmm

Hi, I have a 2002 and I am 6'3" and about 220lb. I have loads of head room but was troubled by the left knee room for the clutch foot until I discovered I had not fully lowered the seat adjustment. Now I am very happy and have lots of room all round. The 987's definitely have a bit more space all round.
admlmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #8

If you buy a 986, rather than a 987, and you want real leg room improvement do a GT3 console delete. Around $170 , easy to do yourself and really frees up the right leg. Looks good too. Lots of posts here on it, but you are welcome to write me about it.

Bob

Last edited by Bobiam; 11-03-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:10 AM   #9

A friend of mine (a former professional basketball player) is 6.6, and he did not fit well one time I drove him in my '98 Box.

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #10

Hitting Head on Rollbar

Hi. I am 6'-4" and 210 lbs and have no problem at all with either headroom or legroom. However, I do have a problem that bothers me that I didn't notice before I bought the car. I cannot adjust the seat to get around this. That is, the back of my head will strike the roll bar. In normal driving this is not a problem but I am worried about what would happen if I got rear-ended. There is potential for me to take some serious damage in an accident. Has anyone else encountered this? I am thinking of putting some kind of padding on the roll bar (like foam pipe installation?) but would prefer some kind of professional product if there is one. Any ideas?
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #11

Can someone with gt3 seats comment on their comfort level in regards to long drives? Especially for us 40's guys with sensitive backs.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:28 AM   #12

"Can someone with gt3 seats comment on their comfort level in regards to long drives? Especially for us 40's guys with sensitive backs."

I got a set of OEM GT3 seats and when I first installed them they seemed to be the same height as the factory seats. I have a long waist and so sit a little too tall in the saddle with factory seats. I got the Brey Kraus brackets for the GT3 seats which are perfect, drops the seats a little and are setup at just the right angle of tilt for me.

GT3 seats for long rides are great for me, at least as good as factory seats. I have done several 3-4 hour drives no problem. I would think they would do well for longer drives as well. Only problem I have found with GT3 seats is that they are a pain to get into and out of. For me, I have slide the seats all the way back to get in or out of the car. They are also a bother to look behind you for backing up because of their width at the top. But I still think they are great.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:09 AM   #13

I'm 6'4" and I barely fit in my 986. I hear the 987 has more head room, but I don't know about that. I'm fine on leg room, but head room is a bit tight.

I did do the GT3 center console delete kit. I did that because on the track my right hand was hitting my right leg. The console delete fixed that. I am going to be putting in racing seats with the appropriate brackets for the track and to get more head room on the street.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #14

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion
Hi. I am 6'-4" and 210 lbs and have no problem at all with either headroom or legroom. However, I do have a problem that bothers me that I didn't notice before I bought the car. I cannot adjust the seat to get around this. That is, the back of my head will strike the roll bar. In normal driving this is not a problem but I am worried about what would happen if I got rear-ended. There is potential for me to take some serious damage in an accident. Has anyone else encountered this? I am thinking of putting some kind of padding on the roll bar (like foam pipe installation?) but would prefer some kind of professional product if there is one. Any ideas?
I'm 6'4" 220lbs. I have the same problem with the rollbar. I too thought of some sort of foam padding on the rollbar that would look decent. Still running things through my head on what to do.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #15

New to the forum and new to our Boxster. I'm 6'6" and 260 pounds. I really don't fit very well in anything. But I do okay in the 986 for short trips. I have considered aftermarket seats, but it's mostly my wife's car anyway. I will stick to autocrossing my old Alfas. Even with top off, I don't think there is anyway I could drive the Boxster that hard with my size!

Erik
genericwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #16

I'm 6'1" and I have absolutely no issues with leg or headroom, in fact I have more room in the Boxster than my dad's old '97 Nissan Altima. But if you are having problems with your bones, you might want to consider getting such a low car. It can be a pain to get in and out of, especially when you have to do it in small spaces like a parking lot or your garage.

I definitely recommend the Boxster though!

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote