986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Bleeder Tab (Paperclip looking thing) (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18943-bleeder-tab-paperclip-looking-thing.html)

Joji 11-30-2008 05:09 PM

Bleeder Tab (Paperclip looking thing)

I just installed a new coolant cap and 2 new o-rings in the bleeder. 1st off the O-rings the porsche mechanic put in was warped and bent. Bizarre. When I put the bleeder back together the silver clip does not click anymore when put in the up position. Does it matter ir did I put the bleeder on backwards or did I miss something when I put it on.

Also How do you check the coolant level. When the car is cold from sitting overnight the coolant is up to the cap (Full to the brim)

When I drive it and the car reaches 180 degress on the temp gage. the coolant level is 4-5" below the min line.

Is this normal or do I need to ad more coolant.

I have no more coolant condensation but the temp light goes on when the coolant level drops. or at least it seems that way
thanks

Sputter 11-30-2008 06:18 PM

Odd, the coolant should rise in the tank when warmed up.

You're saying that it's dropping when warm and higher when cold?. Have you burbed the system since fixing the bleeder? You could likely have an air bubble.
Any coolant under the carpet in the trunk?
I'm curious though, what made you decide the bleeder was bad?

4-5" inches below the min is too much. The warning light should be triggered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joji
I just installed a new coolant cap and 2 new o-rings in the bleeder. 1st off the O-rings the porsche mechanic put in was warped and bent. Bizarre. When I put the bleeder back together the silver clip does not click anymore when put in the up position. Does it matter ir did I put the bleeder on backwards or did I miss something when I put it on.

Also How do you check the coolant level. When the car is cold from sitting overnight the coolant is up to the cap (Full to the brim)

When I drive it and the car reaches 180 degress on the temp gage. the coolant level is 4-5" below the min line.

Is this normal or do I need to ad more coolant.

I have no more coolant condensation but the temp light goes on when the coolant level drops. or at least it seems that way
thanks

Joji 11-30-2008 06:44 PM

How do you burp the system. I think there is definietly air in there. When I open the cap it sounds like a lot of air escaping. When I lift the bleeder tab I hear a lot of bubbling going on when the coolant fallinto the system

Sputter 11-30-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joji
How do you burp the system. I think there is definietly air in there. When I open the cap it sounds like a lot of air escaping. When I lift the bleeder tab I hear a lot of bubbling going on when the coolant fallinto the system

Here is a writeup that Pedro did on the PPBB site. (the same directions are written up in the Bentley Manual).

• Start with a cold engine.
• Remove both caps (oil and coolant).
• Pull bottom plastic cover out (using a spatula lift one edge and pull out).
• Lift bow on bleeder valve. Screw oil cap on again.
Note:
On Tiptronic vehicles, the pneumatically operated coolant shutoff valve (flat-seat-valve) must be opened for the bleeding process. The electric switch-over valve must be switched off for this purpose.
Triggering can be performed with the PST-2 or PIWIS, or by pulling out the Tiptronic control module fuse B1 with the ignition switched off.
• Check whether coolant shutoff valve is open.
• Fill reservoir with coolant up to the bottom edge of the filler neck.
• Run the engine at idle and top off with coolant until no more coolant flows into the cooling system when the engine is revved moderately. (Coolant level now at the lower edge of the filler neck) The coolant temperature must not exceed 80 degrees Celsius; proceed directly to the next step if necessary.
• Close the reservoir and warm the engine up to operating temperature at an engine speed of 2,500 rpm until the thermostat opens (approximately after 10 minutes). Coolant temperature should now be 90 degrees Celsius.
• Check: The radiator supply lines and return lines in the front wheel housings must be hot.
• Allow the engine to run another 5 minutes at 2,500 rpm. Every 30 seconds, briefly rev the engine to 5,000 rpm. This is important for proper bleeding.
Note:
The level warning light can light up during the bleeding process (reset by restarting the engine). Interrupt the procedure if the coolant level is below the "MIN" mark. Open the reservoir with extreme caution and allow overpressure to escapeuntil the coolant level reaches the lower edge of the filler neck; top off with coolant if necessary. Again, intermitently rev the engine for 5 minutes.
• Allow engine to run at idle speed until any activated radiator fans switch off again. Then switch off the engine. Open reservoir cap with extreme caution until the reservoir is depressurized (danger of scalding!).
• Top up coolant expansion tank until level reaches lower edge of filler neck (cold, this corresponds to = "MAX").
• Reposition bow on bleeder shutoff valve. Unscrew cap.
• Put on cover and body seal. Screw on both caps.
• Reactivate ATF shut-off valve on Tiptronic vehicles.