Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #1

A Sad Site Indeed

After having had an extra pleasure vehicle of one sort or another for over 20 years, this is the first time I've stored one for the winter. It's surprisingly much more painfull than I would of imagined to not be able to hop in it for an occassional attitude adjustment.....sigh.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
FTD

Boo hoooo, that does look sad. Fortunately it rarely gets snow or ice here in the winter so I don't have your sorrow. One day last year we had some snow, but no need to sand and salt the roads, and I took the car out with the top down and the heater blasting. It felt GREAT.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #3

Yeah, they're calling for snow here Monday and freezing rain / ice later in the week. Our local guys are pretty liberal with the salt / brine solution also. The Porsche is the first car I've owned with P-Zeros on it, it's amazing the effect low temperatures have on their grip. Looking forward to March already.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
FTD

I have two sets of wheels - my pretty ones with Michelin all weather Pilot Sports and my track wheels with very inexpensive Nexxens. It was quite the discovery to drive the Nexxens in cold weather. Whoooaaa! Dang. Too bad you're not closer to me geographically. I kept my front set of Pzeros because they still had some life on them, and now I would like to give them to whomever needs them. If you cruise down to the SE, stop by and I will throw some tires in your car.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
I have two sets of wheels - my pretty ones with Michelin all weather Pilot Sports and my track wheels with very inexpensive Nexxens. It was quite the discovery to drive the Nexxens in cold weather. Whoooaaa! Dang. Too bad you're not closer to me geographically. I kept my front set of Pzeros because they still had some life on them, and now I would like to give them to whomever needs them. If you cruise down to the SE, stop by and I will throw some tires in your car.

Well that's a heckuva nice offer there FTD, it is truly appreciated. A few years ago my cousin came to my house for a winter gathering in his then new Boxster. I was all ga-ga over it so he took me for a spin....literally. He accidentally looped it going around a left hander in my neighborhood, we spun off the road in between trees, mailboxes and a fire plug coming back out onto the road pointing perfectly in the same direction we were traveling, no exageration. He later said he saw God lol. Funny thing is he wasn't goosing it or on it, the car snapped without warning. The red car behind the covered car (GTO 6 speed) just had new Michelin Alpins put on her (I have an extra set of wheels for it for the winter), tires make ALL the difference. Thanks again.....Mark.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:19 AM   #6

Put her to bed already?

I just got my '98 (still repairing the lack of maintenance from the last owner) and I don't plan on putting it up until the first of the year (weather pending). I see the cover, but did you do anything else special?

And my definition of Winterizing is: Fuel stabilizer, pull the batteries, top off anti freeze and windshield fluid, take tires up to about 50 psi.
(My boat also gets the engine, bilge and water system filled with pink anti- freeze.... no fogging, its a diesel).

Last edited by vath2001; 11-30-2008 at 04:21 AM.
vath2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:36 AM   #7

Another Buckeye!! Plenty of other threads here covering this topic but the short version for how I winterized......Fill gas tank, dump in a bottle of Sea Foam (StaBil would also work), Change the oil and filter, wash and wax car, treat leather seats, fill tires to ~ 53 psi, plug in Battery Tender Jr. and put the cover on.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:42 AM   #8
FTD

It looks like your up on some kind of jack stand type something. What is that?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:52 AM   #9

Buckeye and a Rocket!
Some people don't really winterize... they do long term parking.
We own ice scrapers and snow blowers... they mow all year.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2008, 05:00 AM   #10

Those are wheel dollies. They enable me to push the car over in the garage to allow more room for the wife's rather large Honda van (got a few kids). When not put away for winter, the Porsche is parked where the red car is, I park that one outside then. I'm 45 and this will be the first time I've been able to park my daily driver in a garage during the winter, halleluiah. Wheel Dollies....a small price to pay for marital harmony, and no door dings.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:21 AM   #11

So such luck for me. The "daily" gets parked on the driveway now (thank god for heated seats). Thanks