Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 10:36 PM   #1

Ignition Question

I have a 1998 Boxster, and I only have 1 key that I think is the spare. The key is broken and some button in the middle of the key is gone. I am not sure if it was key less entry or just a light. However the key works. If I buy a used ignition with a key for that ignition that has the key less entry on it will it work with my car or would I have to replace the computer too??? Thanks!!!

P-51 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:57 AM   #2

A new or used ignition switch and key, key would still have to coded at Porsche dealer. My 2000 Boxster came with only one key. Went to dealer and ordered new key and a spare (doesn't have the large fob so it can be carried in wallet.) Dealer parts dept screwed up order and the requested spare was not shipped. No apology. Guy behind counter didn't even know new key had to be programed. Asked to speak to someone else. Bottom line, 1 new key and reprogramming it and my existing key - $400.00. And it took 1 1/2 hours. They also, unknown to me, washed my already spotless car, but didn't rinse the wheels. Good work, Beechmont Porsche in Cincinnati.

Last edited by jotoole; 11-30-2008 at 01:46 AM.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote