Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #1

Leather door panel sniped

I snagged a driver's side leather door panel off fleabay for $75 just now.

Now I need you people to help me find a passenger side black leather panel for cheap and the dash too. I just might upgrade to a dash with a glove box in it.

Anyone know what year they started with the glove box and if that will fit in my car?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #2

The Glovebox was introduced on the '03 MY, but you have to add the new passenger side airbag too if it doesn't already come with the new dash.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #3

Come on Randall, just pull the dash. It's not that hard! It's easier to cover the dash with leather than it is the door panels.

Quite the deal you got on eBay. Check Oklahoma Foreign. They usually have some but certainly not for $75.

Regards,
mike
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #4

when I bought my boxster from my dad - it had an option code on the paperwork stating it has a "full leather interior". both dad and I believe that means the seats, doors and dash are all leather trimmed...

having not looked at tons of other boxsters - do some NOT have leather dashes...is it all hard plastic, vinyl, or somethign else?

i'm just curious as to whether my dash and door liners are truly leather based on the option...

good luck finding your other door skin!

who needs a glovebox! i just keep my registration and other docs in teh front trunk.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC

who needs a glovebox! i just keep my registration and other docs in teh front trunk.
Where do you stash your gun?

Oh, wait, you're in Kalifornia, you're not allowed to have one (in your car).

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #6

23109VC,

The full leather interior package in the Boxster includes the all surfaces on the seats, dash, dash pod, door panels, sides of the upper console, the covered lid of the rear console and the roll bar padding. If you also have the Sport Touring Pkg, you will also have a color matched shift boot and parking brake handle. There are of course lots of additional leather covered items that could have been ordered beyond the full leather package, like the extended leather package.

For instance the basic Boxster red interior color was only avaliable in full leather. If it's red then is covered in leather or it's carpet. There are some exceptions to this, as I've seen some pieces that seem to be covered in red soft touch paint.

I quick way to determine from photos if a Boxster has the full leather package is the door panels have visible stitching.

Full leather

Non leather

Randall the door panel in your photo doesn't seem to have the stitching, so unless I'm missing something (quite possible ), it does not appear to be leather. You may want the seller to confirm that is actually covered in leather before they send it.

Last edited by Aron in Toronto; 11-27-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Aron in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #7

Let's hope that the panel is really leather. If not, I'll be calling my credit card company to refund my money... that's the beauty of using your credit card to pay for stuff through paypal on fleabay.

However, what you've recommended is very good advice. I'll PM the seller just to be sure.

.... just saw this listing on eBay for a red leather door. Not all leather doors have stitching on the door evidently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-97-986-Boxster-RT-door-trim-panel-RED-LEATHER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66 Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp328 6Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem270306078623QQitemZ27030607 8623QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessorie s#ht_628wt_0

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 11-27-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #8

Randall,

It's hard to make out in the ebay photo of the red door panel but I'm pretty sure it does have the stitching. It also has a seam where two pieces of leather are used to cover the compound curves of the door panel. The vinyl door panels don't have this seam. I suspect the vinyl is able to be formed to the shape of the door panel in a single piece.

As to your question about the dash, the glove box first appeared on the 03 models and I don't think they can easily be retrofitted to earlier years. IIRC, on the early Boxsters, there is a steel beam that runs behind the dash in that area. This beam has a different shape to accommodate the glove box on the later cars and I don't know if the beam is bolted in place or welded. You may want to search for a parts diagram for the glove box area and compare it to a diagram of an early model. I've seen several people ask about this, but I've never seen anyone actually attempt it. If you do, make sure to do a write up, I'm sure there would be lots of interest.
Aron in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #9

Aron, you got me looking carefully and the seller had another shot of the back of the door and a part number was written on it from the factory... for a dark gray leather door panel.

So, I might have just bought a very early (97) dark gray leather door panel without that stitching... which is fine if it's really leather. i can dye it darker if need be.

It will all pan out eventually one way or another. I'll keep you posted.

If I had oodles of cash, I'd buy a pristine pair of leather doors from a 996 turbo (they've got really cool door pocket covers) and a black leather dash. BTW, I've clad a lot of the other parts of the interior in black leather already. These larger pieces are what I'm lacking.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #10

Garage
Randall

I have had my eye on this site for a bit; http://928leathershop.com/Dashboard,_Console_and_Panel_Covers.html

Scroll down and you will see the leather for the dash, also I heard you can email them with requests.

-cheers

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote