986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Sumitomo Tires (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18864-sumitomo-tires.html)

lemieud 11-20-2008 05:06 PM

Sumitomo Tires

I happen to see a boxster S with Sumitomo HTR ZIII Tires. Does any one know anything about these tires such as their performance or wear or cost?

Thanks,
Dennis

RandallNeighbour 11-20-2008 05:33 PM

Great tire for it's low price point. I have the II's on my track rims. III's are even better from what I read and hear from a buddy of mine.

One thing you'll come to find out is that with rubber, you get what you pay for. Sumi's are great tires to put on the car for tearing up back roads or the track in summer.

However, my bet is that they get loud as they wear. Most cheaper tires do.

I shod my new Carrera lights with Michelin PS2 to see what the best tire money can buy felt like... and these tires really are better than the Sumi's... but not 3 times better :)

Sumitomos = $450 shipped (or thereabouts)
Michelin PS2's = $1250 shipped

BTW, neither of these tires should be run on the car in cold weather under 40 degrees... you'll slide around like an ice skate... and the Sumi's flat spot in colder weather (although this goes away as the tires warm up a bit). The Michelins are better, but not designed for winter.

Hope this helps!

Tire Rack's reviews are great. Search for the tires you want and read reviews by boxster owners who have put at least 4000 miles on the tires before they comment.

bmx672 11-21-2008 04:50 AM

I had Sumitomo's on my Audi... really didn't care for them. Loud, couldn't be ballanced and they were hard, so when it got a little chilly they were not good on the road, nor when it was wet.
You do get what you pay for...

EE3racing 11-21-2008 05:02 AM

They flat spot into wagon wheels in just a few days of idle parking time. I think you can make your car crisper, upgrade the handling and feel, with another choice for sure.

limoncello 11-21-2008 05:21 AM

2nd Randall
I used a set of Sumi II's for track days - chewed them up nicely and had fun doing it (southeastern location, couple 100 degree days, big chucks of rubber all over the track from everybody). But they handled fine (included hot, cold, wet, dry track days days) and for the price you can't beat them. Save your good tires for the street...
If you don't mind paying the higher price for PS2's to chew up on the track, go for it.
If you don't track, disregard -
When I first got them I drove them some on the street - they were quiet when new. Don't know how long that would have lasted though, since I tracked them soon after.
Hope this helps, good luck!

art52 11-22-2008 04:41 PM

Z111's SUMITOMO

I have just purchased the Z111's 17" for my '99 Boxster. Getting great revues in Oz from major dealers. Much improved on the old Z11's. Bargain and very good looking to boot! Why pay more than twice the price for less than maybe 5-10% difference in overall ability. So far, "grippy", smooth, lovely ride etc. Previous tyres were Pirelli Rosso's.