986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Thinking of an older S4 for my DD... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18859-thinking-older-s4-my-dd.html)

bmx672 11-20-2008 11:42 AM

Thinking of an older S4 for my DD...

I currently have a B4 A4. Bought it new and now it's 9 1/2 years old with 182k on the clock. It still runs great!
I've always wanted a twin turbo v6 S4 though. I've been seeing 00-01's for under $10k with 50-80k miles or so. I think that's a steal!
I'm thinking of dumping my A4 (which has $12k of mods) for about $5k-ish, possibly... and picking up an S4.
What do you guys think? Right now I'm running about 220hp with my mods. A chipped/exhaust S4 should be running over 300hp. I've been in them and they are incredible... especially for their age still.

Anyway,

djomlas 11-20-2008 07:23 PM

put your car back to stock and buy s4 from mod money...

or, get on the forum, and ask if anyone wants your mods and cash for trade plus cash...seems like a big waste of money to sell a car plus mods for 5K

Jeph 11-20-2008 08:50 PM

I've always been a fan of S4s. Go for it.

I know you've had yours since it was new, but are you wary of a used Audi? I hear they're costly in the reliability department -which is probably not ideal for daily driver.

Cloudsurfer 11-20-2008 09:25 PM

Great cars, but now you're getting to the age/ mileage where a lot of stuff is ready to get replaced. Turbos, timing belt, clutch, CV's, brakes , suspension bits ( think about Audi's beautiful multi link setup here- $$$), and of course, the usual maintenance.

I think the S4's and A6 2.7T's are priced pretty fairly in the market, much like the Boxster, when you factor in what can/ will need tending to. I would absolutely recommend a very thorough PPI on one of these cars.

bmx672 11-21-2008 06:45 AM

Believe me, I know all about the suspension and other things that can, and will, go wrong with them. The front alone has 8 control arms!
I would definitely have a PPI, but driving it would be the best thing of course. I know every little detail to the car except the twin turbo 6. I'd research the heck out of that.
I think I've been spoiled with mine. My turbo is still flawless! Engine is solid!
Basically I'd sell it with the mods because I do not have the original parts (ie exhaust) etc. or the existing mods are fastened on like bumper real valence etc etc.
My idea is to get a car with 80-100k less miles and still drive it for a few more years. My car now could probably do that anyway, so that's the debate. Other than the S4 being a lot more fun!

Kirk 11-21-2008 08:23 AM

It sounds like you can do any repair work yourself, so I wouldn't worry so much about the maintenance costs. A thorough inspection should get you set. I would question buying such a high mileage example though. I personally would stay away from any used car over 40K miles. The reason being that you really don't pay that much more for a lower mileage example. Then you've got something that is not well worn and which you can begin babying and taking care of properly. I'd look for a lower mileage S4 and go for it!

PSL-Boxster 11-21-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
put your car back to stock and buy s4 from mod money...

or, get on the forum, and ask if anyone wants your mods and cash for trade plus cash...seems like a big waste of money to sell a car plus mods for 5K

+1, part it out back to stock and see what you can get

bmx672 11-21-2008 10:17 AM

To tell you the truth I would be selling it to my brother-in-law... so I would let the mods stay and give him a good deal...

I would just have to educate myself on the S4... that should not be too hard.

I'm getting more mechanically inclined being that I have done a clutch in my current A4 along with a host of other things, brakes etc etc. So I'm not afraid to roll up my sleeves. That's actually one of the reasons my wife allows my car hobbies to even happen... with the promise to save $ when repairs are needed.

Every time I start thinking about my DD my mind wonders... what about a newer S4? Heck I've even thought about a used GTI! I had a new one before we had two girls! I loved it. I wouldn't mind picking one of those up. Granted they are no S4, but still fun. You can get 40k mile examples for $8k-ish. Not bad.

I don't know... I guess I'm looking to spend $8-10k for my DD. Just a highway workhorse is all like the A4 has been. I know the Audi 1.8t so well. (wife has it in the 02 Passat as well)