Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #1

This Ad is NOT fake - '63 Pontiac Tempest sells for $226.5k

Unbelievable!

'63 Pontiac Tempest

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
FTD

huh?

Please explain.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Ridiculous!
Sounds like either a hacked/bogus account, or a kid on their parents computer.
Whatever happened, I would have gone with this .

Last edited by rick3000; 11-18-2008 at 10:07 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #4

No one is paying that for that lol, negative feedback for that buyer coming soon!
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #5

Looks legit, CRAZY but legit.

http://bringatrailer.com/2008/11/07/long-lost-racer-1963-pontiac-lemans-super-duty/#more-1318
Aron in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
FTD

Wow, Aron - thanks for the link. What a KEWL story.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Track rat

Garage
Nice piece of Detroit history. Definitely for the more money than brains crowd.

My dad owned a 63 Pontiac Tempest for a while. A beater car that he bought in the 70's for my brother to drive to school. It was a V8 block with only 1 cyl head and a plate bolted across the other side. 4 working cylinders and a 2 speed push button slush-o-matic trans. What a pile. It was really slow and it was hit and totaled within 1 year.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
EE3racing

Something tells me I should have hung onto this:

Old 11-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #9

It was the fastest drag car in 1963; not one of the fastest, THE fastest.

There was a good deal of documentation, and you could watch the facts start on either side of the river and be built into a connected bridge, over a couple of days watching the auction happen. If you have a copy of HotRod from 2/1963, the car is there.

Was it worth that much? To me no, but to the winning bidder, it was a deal.

Maybe the most unbelievable thing was that this auction started with a 'Buy it Now' price of $4,000 ! The economy just turned very sweet for the Seller!

It appears that the current owner (Bro-in-Law of the Seller) acquired the car to satisfy a delinquent bill for the car's storage. I wonder if any heirs, assuming there were some, will challenge the ownership? He may have to split his winnings in some way with them, especially if the old man who owned it suffered from dementia or Alzheimer's which impaired his ability to manage his affairs... I can smell the lawyers gathering now.

There is all sorts of documentation on this car and the original alloy front clip has been located in FL (the owner of the clip can also virtually name his price for that too).

Maybe another $200k to get the clip and a total restoration and the buyer will still probably come out ahead - it's 1-of-6 (1-of-3 known to still exist) which makes a lot of Shelby's, Yenko's and such, seem mass-produced in comparison.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 11-19-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #10

Garage
That is one bad ass story! Barn finds are still out there. For those interested in a great story, go to the link and read the discription. Then page down and read the 34 questions from interested buyers (you'll need to log on). You can read as the seller discovers what he had. That is truly a one of a kind, original, restored diamond.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #11
FTD

I haven't figured out what the alloy front clip is.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #12

Wow, classic stuff. What a barn find!!! If only someone had known what they were looking at straight off they could have grabbed it for the buy it now price of $4,000!

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
I haven't figured out what the alloy front clip is.

The front clip is the front sheet metal of the car, the whole front and grill, possibly the front fenders and hood. It is made of aluminum instead of the usual steel and so is much lighter allowing the car to go faster.

Supposedly, this was removed to allow the car to compete in a different class (probably stock) which would require thew car to have all factory parts so they didn't have an advantage over other cars in that class.

But, it's necessary to reunite this alloy clip with this car to make it 'correct'.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 11-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #14

Can't you guys hear Marisa Tomie (aka Ms. Mona Lisa Vito) saying:

"Now, in the '60's, there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction, and independent rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, weight, wheel base, and wheel track as the '64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest."

If she says so, umm, I want one.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Wow, classic stuff. What a barn find!!! If only someone had known what they were looking at straight off they could have grabbed it for the buy it now price of $4,000!

Kirk
What, so then the guy could turn around and sell it for over 200k? That would be the same as stealing. I'm happy that didn't happen, and the original guy got what the car was worth. He deserved it far more than someone who took advantage of a situation.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:46 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
What, so then the guy could turn around and sell it for over 200k? That would be the same as stealing. I'm happy that didn't happen, and the original guy got what the car was worth. He deserved it far more than someone who took advantage of a situation.

WTF? Stealing?
Old 11-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG

Nope... I don't think that the "original guy" "deserved it" more than anyone else. The "original guy" who put up the auction and got the quarter of a million dollars was kind of "sealing" it too. See some older gentleman (who has not been named so as to try to hide this from the family) had this car in storage. When he passed away he got behind in his storage payments (hard to do you see when you're dead). The brother-in-law (who owned the storage) of the eBay seller then got title to the car in lieu of overdue storage costs. It wasn't until they had the car up for auction that they figured out its real value.

The interesting things is whether or not the eBay seller will actually get to keep any of that money. See they can get title to the car if the due storage costs exceed the value of the car, which they estimated at $4,000 at most. Clearly they were wrong as the real value is $226,000. So.... IF the family can find out about this, they'll probably have them in court in a heartbeat and get at least $222,000 back for the car.... and the "original guy" will get the $4,000 or so that he truly deserves.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
WTF? Stealing?
Hehe... when it's an informed banker on Wall St. giving a loan to an uninformed house buyer that they know has no chance of being paid back, we call it criminal. But if it's an uninformed guy who asks 4K for a car that an informed buyer would pay 250k for, that's suddenly OK.

However, the word "stealing" was a bit strong. Unethical fits perfectly.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Nope... I don't think that the "original guy" "deserved it" more than anyone else. The "original guy" who put up the auction and got the quarter of a million dollars was kind of "sealing" it too. See some older gentleman (who has not been named so as to try to hide this from the family) had this car in storage. When he passed away he got behind in his storage payments (hard to do you see when you're dead). The brother-in-law (who owned the storage) of the eBay seller then got title to the car in lieu of overdue storage costs. It wasn't until they had the car up for auction that they figured out its real value.

The interesting things is whether or not the eBay seller will actually get to keep any of that money. See they can get title to the car if the due storage costs exceed the value of the car, which they estimated at $4,000 at most. Clearly they were wrong as the real value is $226,000. So.... IF the family can find out about this, they'll probably have them in court in a heartbeat and get at least $222,000 back for the car.... and the "original guy" will get the $4,000 or so that he truly deserves.

Kirk
I haven't heard the lead-in story about how he came to own the car, and couldn't find it on the net. However, with it being so valuable, IF there was a family around, it sure seems they would have known about it and rescued the car.

One thing is for sure... in your scenario, once the seller sold the car for 4k, and the new owner then sold it for 250k. the family, IF they exist, would have ZERO chance of getting anything. Not the best outcome, huh?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
haha wow... the new owner of that low mileage garage beauty just got rickrolled!

PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote