986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Winter modes (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18796-winter-modes.html)

Samson 11-14-2008 04:43 AM

Winter modes

So, what do you guys do in the winter?

I put snows on my IS300 and a cover on the Boxster... and it may emerge from hibernation with a shiny new 997 shift box.

http://ericfilcoff.com/pictures/WinterChange.jpg

ekam 11-14-2008 05:15 AM

I drive it the way Porsches are meant to be driven... hard and all year round baby! :cheers:

jmatta 11-14-2008 05:26 AM

Have no other choice...

coreseller 11-14-2008 06:27 AM

Just put Michelin Alpines on the GTO (it's similar to driving on marbles now), the Boxster goes into hibernation until March.

Paul 11-14-2008 05:20 PM

Snow tires on 16" wheels and a hardtop, drive on....

roadracer311 11-14-2008 08:49 PM

It's 9:36 pm and 71 degrees in San Francisco tonight. :p
(not normal for this time of year though)

rick3000 11-14-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam
I drive it the way Porsches are meant to be driven... hard and all year round baby! :cheers:

Same here, you just need a hardtop and snow tires.

yellowboxster01 11-14-2008 09:40 PM

year rounder and I have no snow tires or hard top. I've been thinking of a Zeintop and 17's with snow tires. Probably a wise investment, well the tires at least.

Kirk 11-14-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadracer311
It's 9:36 pm and 71 degrees in San Francisco tonight. :p
(not normal for this time of year though)

Yeah, what are these guys talking about? Winter??? I drove around most of today and until 9PM tonight with the top down here in Northern California. It's supposed to be up to 81 F tomorrow. Having previously lived in Wisconsin though I understand the concept of a beater car. I've got a 21 year old Honduh I drive as my beater and the Boxster sits cozy, warm, and dry in the garage at home when the weather is nasty.

Kirk

Dave S. 11-15-2008 05:35 AM

For me, the sporty vehicles go into storage for the winter. I live in the Colorado mountains @ 8700 ft. It takes 4 wheel drive and some ground clearance to get to my house from about mid-December through early March. In Spring when you can finally take them out again, its like getting a new car.
Dave S.

Mike_Yi 11-17-2008 09:41 AM

Snow tires and a hardtop.

Hopefully I'll do that soon. My jack needs a new seal so I can't change the tires. I have to put the hardtop back together after getting it repainted, so I can't do that yet either.

blue2000s 11-17-2008 09:52 AM

A sump of fresh Royal purple, a tank full of gasoline w/sta-bil, a battery tender jr on the disconnected battery, 45psi tires and a nice soft flannel cover is the hibernation ensemble for my Boxster. The AWD Eclipse and Impreza love the winder so I oblige.

Allen K. Littlefield 11-17-2008 12:44 PM

I will install the Stebro 2nd cat delete pipes in Dec. I purchased from Chris Chaudanova on this list. He is very easy to deal with and I would buy from him again. This will chuck about 25lbs from the cars butt, add some welcome sound and give an alleged 7-8 hp increase. Come spring I will add a 15lb Deka battery in place of my 50lb monster. I will drive it on a clear dry day in the winter, not snow or rain however. The best thing you can do for machinery is to use it and I don't think I could stand not driving it for 5 to 6 months.

AKL :cheers:

blue2000s 11-17-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
The best thing you can do for machinery is to use it .

I'm in agreement with this up to the point of how the environment effects the machinery. I've seen some pictures of the under side of Boxsters that were used in the snow belt in the winter and it wasn't pretty.

Dry roads in winter where they salt will still have salt on the road that gets kicked up onto the car. All it takes is to introduce some water and the steel will begin to corrode.

rick3000 11-18-2008 07:20 AM

Do you have these pictures?
I have never seen any Boxster, anywhere with rust. Every Boxster made has been treated (galvanized?) so they cannot rust. They all came with a 10 year rust free guarantee. All you have to do is wash of the underside, and all the stuff stuck to the coating comes off. :cheers:

fragdude 11-18-2008 07:59 AM

I haven't spent the winter in New York for the past few years, but I have driven through it. Whenever I'd come back down to VA I would have the underside of my car washed asap. I suppose if I was to spend a whole winter driving in NY I would probably wash the underside once a week or so...

blue2000s 11-18-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000
Do you have these pictures?
I have never seen any Boxster, anywhere with rust. Every Boxster made has been treated (galvanized?) so they cannot rust. They all came with a 10 year rust free guarantee. All you have to do is wash of the underside, and all the stuff stuck to the coating comes off. :cheers:

1) Galvanization is a sacrificial coating. Once it's been used up, the steel is next to go.
2) There are several aluminum/plated steel interfaces, these are not completely neutral, galvanically, so in the presence of a salt, the materials will corrode more quickly.
3) bearings, bushings, clamps, ect are susceptible to corrosion because salt can find it's way into places that are not easily reached with a hose.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18138-clutch-sticking-whining-undercarriage-rust.html

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15182-rust-engine-compartment.html

tolum 11-18-2008 09:07 AM

I'll be missing her...Happy winter time Boxy. See you in spring...Snif...Snif...

rick3000 11-18-2008 09:52 AM

Let me correct myself.
If you go all winter without washing the underside then you may have to worry about rust. But I have never seen a Boxster with rust, and speaking from experience you don't have to worry about rust if you you wash the underside of your car every few weeks in the winter.

There is no need to baby these cars, they where made to be driven. And the ones that are often have far fewer problems, in my experience :cheers:

(Sorry, if my previous post came of as rude.)

ekam 11-27-2008 04:37 AM

Man, I don't know how you guys do it. I can leave the car in the garage for 4 days max, then I have to take it for a spin.

It's like storing the vagina in the winter time. That's crazy!!! :dance:

I just drove it this morning to work. It's going to make my day feel a lot better. :D :D :D :D