986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Water Pump (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18793-water-pump.html)

Savanh 11-13-2008 05:04 PM

Water Pump

Does any one know when should I replace the water pump on my 99 boxster and it had about 66,000 miles. I would appreciate very much.

kabel 11-13-2008 06:24 PM

When it breaks? (sorry couldn't resist) :D

Mine went at about 98k, bearings started to fail.

jotoole 11-14-2008 12:23 AM

Now

Have 2000 2.7 Boxster. Original owner replaced water pump @38,000 mi along with coolant tank per maintenance records, Porsche dealership, no reason given. My pump failed @ 73,000 due to broken impeller. If I were you I would replace it now to be on safe side.

shaman1204 11-14-2008 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabel
When it breaks? (sorry couldn't resist) :D

Mine went at about 98k, bearings started to fail.

How could you tell the bearings were failing? Noise?

kabel 11-14-2008 08:58 AM

correct, I detected a new noise coming from the engine bay.

shaman1204 11-14-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabel
correct, I detected a new noise coming from the engine bay.

I started getting a squealing noise coming from behind the seats when the car turns over. Just had my alternator replaced and I recently replaced my serp belt as well. I had a feeling it could be the water pump. BTW my car is an 01 with 43K miles.

kabel: Did your noise happen at start up or when idling, driving, etc?

Don't mean to hijack the thread Savanh but this could be valuable info for both of us.

kabel 11-14-2008 11:10 AM

mine was not a squeal, more like a muted grinding noise, changed in pitch with engine rpm.

I was surprised at how small/shallow the impeller is on our water pumps.

jotoole 11-14-2008 01:36 PM

savanh-
you would be really pushing your luck if wait for a symptom. water pumps can suddenly fail w/o any warning, and when it fails, you are done for the day. you also risk a cracked head due to heat damage which may not show up immediately. i would guess i've had at least 3 sudden, total pump failures with no apparent symptoms, and i always have one ear tuned for any change in noise from any part of the car.
the folks on this thread are giving useful info, no disrespect intended, but i used up a lot of my luck in Vietnam and spend what's left carefully. (but not too carefully, no fun in that.)

FrayAdjacent 11-14-2008 03:29 PM

I came to determine that a vibration around 3kRPM was due to the bearings in the water pump going bad, but I started feeling the vibration probably 10k miles before the pump failed. When it went, the sound was nasty, it sounded like a can rattling around in one of my wheel wells.

Not a huge deal, replacing it myself was easy, and I found the part for $107 on eBay. Replaced the belt and changed the oil while I was in there. Total was around $200.

Can't hurt anything but your wallet to change it now.

Franco 11-14-2008 05:30 PM

Hi, i replaced mine at 50,000 miles, noise coming from engine bay sounded like a dice bouncing around in a Styrofoam cup.Pump did not leave me stranded, i drove around for 3 weeks before figuring out it was the culprit and changed it myself.

On a side note this is the first vehicle i owned that needed a new water pump and at such a low mileage, sometimes i wonder :o

Savanh 11-14-2008 05:40 PM

Water Pump

Hay guys! I very appreciate for all of your input. I will go ahead replace it and I'll try to do it myself. But, since I'm new to the Boxster. What else do I need to look for sign of problem, that way I can try to fix it before it fail.

Again I appreciate for your input.

Savanh

pompous 11-14-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent

Not a huge deal, replacing it myself was easy, and I found the part for $107 on eBay. Replaced the belt and changed the oil while I was in there. Total was around $200.

I just did mine as well and probably wouldn't say its on the level of changing the oil lol I thought it was a nuisance personally, but very doable w/an average selection of tools i'd say.

Savanh 11-15-2008 06:27 AM

Water Pump

Can some one help decide what brand or should just get it from any autoparts like autozone or NAPA?

Thanks! and I appreciate for your respond.
Savanh

jmatta 11-15-2008 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savanh
Can some one help decide what brand or should just get it from any autoparts like autozone or NAPA?

Thanks! and I appreciate for your respond.
Savanh

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one at a generic auto parts store. I'd go to Pelican or Sunset if I were you.

pompous 11-16-2008 04:46 AM

I'm pretty sure all the generic autoparts stores can order them w/in a day or two and in my case NAPA had it in stock. I was pretty surprised at that as well though.

mmontfort 11-16-2008 06:34 AM

Water Pump

Got mine from Sunset in Florida for around $211.