986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   HELP!! Just blew engine, need your help please! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18783-help-just-blew-engine-need-your-help-please.html)

BoxsterLewis 11-12-2008 07:26 AM

HELP!! Just blew engine, need your help please!

K long story short my intermediate camshaft blew and its at the Porsche dealer now. Warrenty company is asking for reciepts of oil change, I change my own oil but throw them away.

*I found the reciept :)

jmatta 11-12-2008 08:03 AM

It doesn't say how far back you need receipts for; I think that would help. Also, most receipts have a zip or store location on them.

Topless 11-12-2008 08:15 AM

Wouldn't supplying someone else's receipts amount to fraud?? A sure way to get warranty denial. Most retailers have sales records of regular customers. Go to the place you bought your filters first. Combine their sales records with your own service logs and dates. You can do this.

tamarsha 11-12-2008 08:31 AM

I have a couple from Baker Motors there in Charleston but the term "insurance fraud" scares me. Not to mention the year and color probably don't match up much less the mileage, VIN.

renzop 11-12-2008 08:49 AM

Do not lie to the insurance company. Sure way to spend way more than $17K.

Instead, go to a notary and sign and have notarized a paper stating the approximate mileage and dates of your oil changes. Also search credit card statements for purchases. All you need to do is convince the ins. company that you did change the oil at recommended intervals.

If you really did the necessary maintentance and the ins. co. still refuses to pay then its time to hire a lawyer. But you better be absolutely positive you did the work.

blue2000s 11-12-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterLewis
K long story short my intermediate camshaft blew and its at the Porsche dealer now. Warrenty company is asking for reciepts of oil change, I change my own oil but throw them away. Can anyone PLEEEASE email thier reciept from when they bought oil for thier Porsche (Mobile 1 sythentic). I would GREATLY appreciate it, it would save me 17K :eek:

i'll even paypal someone 10 bucks to just email me that. E-mail to riveralc@saic.com and I will pay you.

I'm really sorry to hear about your engine. Do you mind telling us what you were doing with the IMS failed? Driving slowly in traffic, maybe?

MikenOH 11-12-2008 09:42 AM

what year car, model, mileage is this? Who is the warranty. company?

rick3000 11-12-2008 10:50 AM

You always want to document oil changes and everything over little thing, especially when you have a warranty. If you needed to you could get your oil analyzed, and that might clarify if the oil caused the engine failure.

BoxsterLewis 11-12-2008 12:00 PM

K i found my reciept where i bought the oil! I am waiting on there reply to see if they approve the 16K. Warranty is through great lakes warranty up north. It says they cover camshaft, so i dont see a reason why they wouldn't cover it...

Blue2000s, I was just pulling out of the golf course normally and heard a loud ticking but no engine light, then shortly after before i could pull over car just chut off :( I never thought this would happen to me..

I will keep you guys updated on everything..

Perfectlap 11-12-2008 02:54 PM

oh boy sorry to hear that.

I advise you to read the fine print on your warranty agreement. It usually demmands that the oil changes occur at a certified shop within the recommended interval. Some even demmand that it be done at a dealer. The lawyers for these warranty companies make sure to to make it real easy for them to get out of catastrophic engine failure claims.
When i was shopping my Warranty Direct extended plan I did the math for the price of all the dealer maitnenace (ALL OF IT) and I woul have ended up spending like...I don't remember but a lot on top of the $3K for 4 years of coverage. Decided to skip it.

IFlyS5 11-12-2008 03:08 PM

Certified?

Not that you need anything more to worry about, but I asked the dealer when I bought my 986 about doing my own maintenance. I know my way around cars better than some mechanics, but I was told that unless the maintenance is done by a "certified mechanic", then warranty claims can be denied. Hope this isn't the case with yours.

Hope it all works out!

23109VC 11-12-2008 03:27 PM

this whole engine failure - big $$ costs is freakin' scary.

i swear, if I'm driving along and my car makes this horrible noise and the motor shuts off and I'm at enough speed, I'm going to aim for a parked car and have a crash - maybe i'll get lucky and do enough body damage to total my car..

okay, i'm just kidding, but seriously, i'm sure there are a lot of people who just flat out wish their car was stolen, vandalized, or otherwise damaged in some "act of God" that triggers their auto insurance....

i looked into trying to get insurance coverage for JUST the catastrophic motor failure - you can't get it from your auto policy - and the dealers still want a ton for that coverage.

what if you park it at your house - and even though it's got a blwno motor - someone stole it..... ;) :eek:

Boxtaboy 11-12-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23109VC
i swear, if I'm driving along and my car makes this horrible noise and the motor shuts off and I'm at enough speed, I'm going to aim for a parked car and have a crash - maybe i'll get lucky and do enough body damage to total my car..

LOL. That is too funny man. :D

djomlas 11-12-2008 03:45 PM

if my engine ever blew, i would just get a used one on ebay, wouldnt even mess with paying 17k for something like that...quick 3-4k fix compared to 17 :D

sorry to hear it tho man, hopefully they will take it and warrant it

FrayAdjacent 11-12-2008 06:24 PM

It still sucks that Porsche won't cover at least some of the cost of something they either didn't design well, or didn't build well. Failed IMS is a common failure mode for our engines. This has to be something Porsche is responsible for.

BoxsterLewis 11-13-2008 08:09 AM

I called my warranty company and it seems like they do not care I did my own oil change, as long as it was done is what they wanted to see. So far so good, they said they just have to send an inspector out to make sure the engine was blown..We shall see!!!!