986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Any iPhone mounting solutions? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18773-any-iphone-mounting-solutions.html)

Jump 11-11-2008 09:43 AM

Any iPhone mounting solutions?

I just picked up an iPhone and I definitely want to take advantage of Pandora, Wolfgang's Vault and the variety of internet radio stations available while in the car. While I had come up with a workable (but not great) solution for my iPod, I haven't been able to find anything to hold the iPhone in place. The iPhone is too big to fit in the location of my current iPod mount. Just laying it on the seat or floor isn't acceptable for the obvious reasons associated with driving a Porsche.

I looked at the options provided by Kensington and Griffin with the flexible neck that plugs into your cigarette lighter but I doubt that with the weight of the iPhone, that it would hold in place during hard cornering.

I'm just wondering if anyone has come up with anything innovative?

Here is what I did with the iPod. I purchased a clear plastic case for the iPod and simply used velcro to mount it to my dash. It is easily removable when I need to and the CD drawers aren't needed when I have my iPod hooked up. It doesn't really get in the way of any of the air/heat controls so the only downside of this is the removal of the velcro from my dash when the iPod is done serving its purpose.

http://web.mac.com/doug_schweigert/i...s/P7300005.jpg

RandallNeighbour 11-11-2008 10:21 AM

I swapped my ash tray out for a non-smoker's kit, which has a little cubby space perfect to perch an iPhone in. I do that with mine.

You, my friend, did not mention dynolicious, a wonderful little program for the iPhone. Measures speed, 1/4 mile times, Gforce, and all sorts of other stuff! Check it out on iTunes.

Jump 11-11-2008 10:42 AM

Thanks Randall, Does it get in the way of your arm/elbow at all in that location?

I'll definitely check out dynolicious

Perfectlap 11-11-2008 11:38 AM

I employ the between the legs placement. I already have the Sirius receiver mounted to the cubby hole, my V1 and then often a GPS...adding the Iphone (hacked for Tmobil) is getting darn ridonkulus. Too many gadgets.

Jimi 11-11-2008 01:10 PM

Yeah, I'd sure like some good ideas on a stable and vertical iphone placement. I've seen Dynolicious (don't have it yet) and REV. I have Rev light, and the ODB wireless device is supposed to come out in November and that looks pretty cool, too. But they recommend a vertical placement.
Jim

Chippy 11-11-2008 01:17 PM

try a Brodit. They mount/ clip to the side of the console and they do a specific boxster mount. They then do a specific device mount that attaches to the base. The mounts also rotate - handy if you want to watch a movie!

Brodit

FrayAdjacent 11-11-2008 01:23 PM

I wouldn't count on getting very good quality audio streaming from internet radio stations, even with 3G enabled on the phone. I usually leave 3G off because, while my city does have 3G coverage, it is spotty.

I would like to have a place to mount with power so that I can use the GPS or other uses like dynolicious.

Eventually, I hope there will be turn-by-turn navigation apps that don't cost an arm or a leg. I had an original iPhone, and the 3G phone is much more useful! I got a little 'lost' on my motorcycle after splitting off with another rider... but the GPS function showed me right where I was, and I was easily able to find my way home.

RandallNeighbour 11-24-2008 07:13 AM

I want a suction cup thing for my 3G iPhone like my Garmin GPS. I found this one but sheesh, I hate to pay $30 for every gadget I want for the phone. The thing is only worth about ten bucks:

http://www.extremepda.com/MOUNTIPHONE-GN.html

I also want someone to tell me how to keep the thing turned on when I'm using it in my car for navigation. It keeps turning off to save power, even when it's plugged in.

BTW, resting it vertically in the non-smoker's tray doesn't get in the way of my arm or elbow for shifting... but I can't use it for dynolicious there because the iPhone has to face the back of the car and be vertical or horizontal (I think),

Hey, all you 3G iPhone users... have you downloaded "Say What?" It's a very good voice recognition program that autodials numbers for you, just like the RAZR I used to have, except you don't have to train it. It's a lot smarter than the Motorola software on my old cell phone and it looks through your entire phone book, not just a few people you've recorded.

RandallNeighbour 11-24-2008 07:51 AM

OK, I just ordered this one and it was inexpensive and rated highly on amazon.com, but I bought it directly through the seller's web site because the shipping costs were a little cheaper:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/HAiCOM-Custom-Car-Mount-for-Apple-iPhone-3G.aspx

9.95 + 2.50 s/h

I will report back when I get it and tell you if I like it or not.

Jump 11-24-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I also want someone to tell me how to keep the thing turned on when I'm using it in my car for navigation. It keeps turning off to save power, even when it's plugged in.

If you're referring to the display, I think this will work: Settings -> General -> Autolock -> Never

RandallNeighbour 11-24-2008 10:30 AM

Thanks Jump. That worked.

Now I wish they'd add a "dont' turn off when plugged in" option.

I bet that will come with turn by turn navigation

yimmy149 09-16-2009 02:59 PM

I'm looking for a windshield mount for my iPhone 3GS. There appears to be a ton of them out there, but many of them won't accept an iPhone if it's in a case. (I have this case - recommended) Others the reviewers say are too shaky in cars with firm suspension.

Any recommendations?

-james

Cloudsurfer 09-17-2009 06:18 PM

I have thought of molding an iPhone home cradle into the cubby in the non smoker kit... result would be something similar to this:

blueillusion97 09-17-2009 07:06 PM

I removed my console below radio because i needed more leg room and manufactured a mount there mainly so i could use REV app on iphone with PLX wireless OBD2 to log data. Ill post a pic or video when im done fixing my car, hopefully ill be done this weekend if i wount be too busy with work.

yimmy149 09-21-2009 01:29 PM

The reason I wanted a windshield mount is so I could use it to navigate on occasion.

roadsoundlover 12-22-2009 03:23 PM

iphone mount

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
OK, I just ordered this one and it was inexpensive and rated highly on amazon.com, but I bought it directly through the seller's web site because the shipping costs were a little cheaper:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/HAiCOM-Custom-Car-Mount-for-Apple-iPhone-3G.aspx

9.95 + 2.50 s/h

I will report back when I get it and tell you if I like it or not.

So what do you think of it? Do you have pics? Thanks

yellowboxster01 12-22-2009 05:20 PM

I bought a $10 suction cup mount off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-MOUNT-HOLDER-FOR-IPOD-CLASSIC-1ST-2ND-GEN_W0QQitemZ230403143858QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA_Ac cessories?hash=item35a518f8b2

Took the suction cup off and mounted it to the carpet on the side of the center console. I drilled two small holes in both the mount and console piece and then put two bolts with nuts through them. It was pretty solid but, I decided to gorilla glue a piece of aluminum where the original plastic mount is and on the backside of the console piece is also a piece of aluminum for a little extra support. It's rock solid now.

ChrisZang 12-29-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Eventually, I hope there will be turn-by-turn navigation apps that don't cost an arm or a leg. I had an original iPhone, and the 3G phone is much more useful! I got a little 'lost' on my motorcycle after splitting off with another rider... but the GPS function showed me right where I was, and I was easily able to find my way home.

GPS Drive by MotionX is quite good. http://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps-drive/
It costs less than $5 on the App Store, meaning it costs 10% of all the other GPS apps, like TomTom, Navigon etc :eek:
The company who makes it that they do it so cheap as they don't have have a line of standalone GPS devices, so they don't have to protect their other product line

slogans7 12-29-2009 02:14 PM

I can tell you what does NOT work - the Belkin charger/FM transponder thingie. It won't support the weight of the iPhone so it and your phone will rotate in the lighter. It comes with an adapter to make it tighter, but it makes it so tight that you may rip out the lighter's guts when you pull the thing out.

ChrisZang 01-04-2010 08:12 PM

My $2 redneck iPhone holder

OK, so here's my $2 iPhone holder solution:
Got a swivel belt holster from eBay for $2
Then I cut a black styrofoam block to size so that I could easily push it in (and get it out) the storage cubby, but with enogh friction so that it sits tight. Now you can easily put it in and remove it.
Then zip-tie the belt holster to the styrofoam (look at the pictures then it all makes sense).
Now the iPhone is neatly tugged away (and even the built in GPS still gets a signal)
My solution only blocks the "Auto" button for the A/C and the temperature display but I can easily live with that