Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2002, 06:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

1999 or 2000?

Im looking to buy a used boxster. Im looking to spend under 30k
Maybe you can give me some pointers on the different "packages" available on the Boxsters.
I see that the "Sport" package is a sort after item on Boxsters. Can anyone tell me what is the Sport package, and are there any other packages I should know about. I see many 1999 going under 30k with decent miles, but the 2000 are above my cutoff points. Also what is the difference preformance wise between the 2. Is the 2000 faster, what is the BHP on both? Are the suspesions the same on both?
Thanks Any help would be appreciated? Im kind of a boxster newbie
Vin

vin1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 04:00 AM   #2

Question NYC to Hawaii?

I noticed that you will be moving to Hawaii in January 2003, is that correct? Are you buying the Boxster in Hawaii then?

Having a Boxster and living in Hawaii, now that would be really a sweet deal. What island?

I am not 100% sure on this, but I think the 2000 has about 8 HP more than the 1999. Anyone care to corrrect me on this please?

My 1999 has the Sport Package, but I am not sure anymore what it includes. I kind of think it is the 17" wheels. Oh yeah, here is what it is according to

http://www.986faq.com:

P63 Sport Package

Info

Includes:

* M396 17" Boxster Design Wheels and Tires
* M454 Cruise Control
* M490 Hi-Fi Sound System
* M535 Remote Controlled Alarm System
* M551 Windstop
* M696 AM/FM Radio with CD Player

Well good luck, hope you find the car of your dreams.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 07:04 AM   #3
Forum Member

Yes I lived there for 3 years, I love it there thats why Im moving back in Jan. But hopefully I can find a nice boxster to bring there with me.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:01 AM   #4

Cool HI

So how much will it cost to have it shipped from NYC to Hawaii? Not cheap I bet. Why not look for one in Hawaii instead and maybe with the additional money available you can get into a 2000 instead of a 1999. I have a buddy who lives in the Honolulu area, maybe I could ask him to look in the papers for Boxsters just to give you an idea if any are for sale on a regular basis over there.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:48 AM   #5
Forum Member

Hi..from California its $850 to ship. The question is whether have it transported to California by truck, and then shipped, or drive it cross country, which could be fun. Ive been checking out the prices in Hawaii, and they seem to go for a few thousand more, than here on the mainland. Also there arent many to choose from as of lately. I have a friend in Honolulu who is willing to sell me his 2001 Honda s2000, but I dont like them as much as I do the Boxster. Ive driven both, and I think the boxster drives much better, even though its a bit slower.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:08 AM   #6

Talking Ship to Hawaii

Yeah, if they cost a few thousand more in Hawaii then your plan definitely makes sense. Maybe you should think about spending a week out here before your move and buying it here in California and save the 3,000 miles on the odometer. $850 is not bad to ship it though from here. Whatever you end up doing, I am sure you will love the Boxster just as much as we all do. Be sure to post pictures when you get it, we all want to see it!
Old 10-21-2002, 03:00 PM   #7
Regional Moderator

For the record, 2000 was a significant model year for the 986. The S was introduced at 3.2 liters (250 hp), and the standard model went from 2.5 to 2.7 liters (200 to 217 hp).

I believe there were also some interior improvements in the 2.7, but I'm not sure exactly when this happened.

So, obviously try to get a 2000 instead of 1999, but don't be obsessed with it. But if you find a nice 99, keep this in mind when you are cutting a deal.

Good luck!

-Charlie
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 06:49 PM   #8

interior changes were very minimal -- minor dash re-arrangementes with radio/climate-control/storage shelf.

Other interior changes were made in 2001 -- roof liner in standard model, previously in S.

HI sounds quite nice. My only concern would be cost of living as I have heard HI housing prices are a bit higher than the mainland.

keep us posted!

ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote