Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 05:55 AM   #21
Porscheectomy

Thumbs down

Personal attacks, the low road to getting a thread closed. Bummer.

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-02-2008 at 06:00 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:51 AM   #22

I see merit in both sides of this argument. On the one hand, as someone with a finance background, who also happens to be a professional pilot, I completely appreciate market pricing. And there is truth to the notion that if these cars were known to all make it to 100k with only affordable, routine service that they would be worth more in the open market (as used vehicles). So far I have certainly benefited from this, as my cost of ownership so far has only been a fraction of what it would have been had I purchased new, or even went the route of Porsche CPO pre-owned. Now, obviously, in the unlikely event my engine lets loose, those numbers will significantly change.

The problem that I do have with the situation is this: These have been design defects since day one, and as such, are design defects that Porsche has decided to not rectify. I am also quite certain that these defects have not been rectified due to pressure from the Accounting Department saying not to do so. For them, it is more profitable to save the likely few hundred dollars a car it would cost to have fixed this close to a decade ago, even with the risk of out of warranty settlements (which may or may not have been attorney influenced) and even the possible actual lawsuit. Now, I'm not sure that the costs associated with the loss of reputation are factored into their argument.

Only Porsche has the true number of failures and unfortunately, even their numbers aren't totally accurate, as they exclude a good percentage of failures where the car never went to a dealer or a factory crate motor was never ordered.

The other real problem for 90% of us on this board is the fact that Porsche knows that we, as a group, will likely never buy a brand new car from them, so our loss of respect for them as a company will not cost them anything, as any car maker really only cares about selling new cars and could largely care less what happens to the cars once the original owners sell them. This also explains why there have been far more documented cases of goodwill engine replacements issued to original owners versus second or third owners.

In my ideal world, I think Mazda handled a similar situation with its motors (which developed after many cars were on the road) very admirably by offering a 100k warranty on those engines. I do also believe that the previous issues were rectified in future production cars. Do I think Porsche should offer a similar program for these cars? Yes. Does that mean that I necessarily support a Class Action Suit against Porsche? No.

I would like to see Porsche handle things better for the few folks who do wind up in the position of requiring a new motor, but unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen. And, while I consider my attorney a very good friend, in general I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having a law firm generate millions in revenue from a settlement on a case so that you and I can all get checks for $50. Does anyone really think that in such a case the loss of $40 million (plus their legal fees) is going to help them bring you and I a better car?

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #23

Garage
Well said Patrick,

I guess what I was really getting at with the lawsuit was to see if Porsche would do the same thing Harley-Davidson did with its Twin Cam 88 engine. I bought a '99 FLHTC with the first year 88 Twin Cam. The engines inner cam bearings were coming apart and destroying the engines. With documented cases, Harley-Davidson was forced to warrenty just those cam bearing from future failure. If a failure occurred the service department would order a repair kit that would consist of new bearing, cams, seals and gaskets. Labor is waived for the repair and the warrenty is good until 50,000 miles are on the clock, I think. My bearings were swapped out at 12,000 miles at no cost to me.

That to me is reasonable compensation to the customer for a design flaw. Should Porsche stand behind their product and do the right thing if the two (RMS/IMS) problems occur in a resonable mileage window? Yes. Do we need to go to the lengths of having to file a lawsuit? No. But Porsche should do the right thing.

BTW, Porsche designed, built and tested the V-Rod engine and its bullet proof!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #24

Ok-time to push the reset button on this one. Pls all simmer down.

I totally get how upsetting the prospect or actuality of a blown engine can be, esp given the cost of a new Box engine.

Having said that, the company has made it clear that they are not gonna help most folks out. Given that, either sue them, sell the car, buy a warranty, well you get the picture.

No need to take it out on our fellow box owners.

Peace my friends.

:dance:

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Ok-time to push the reset button on this one. Pls all simmer down.

I totally get how upsetting the prospect or actuality of a blown engine can be, esp given the cost of a new Box engine.

Having said that, the company has made it clear that they are not gonna help most folks out. Given that, either sue them, sell the car, buy a warranty, well you get the picture.

No need to take it out on our fellow box owners.

Peace my friends.

:dance:

I couldn't agree more with this statement. To me none of these ISSUES are that serious. I'm on my second tour to Iraq which will put me at 28 total months in country and as long as I'm not dead I can deal with anything. We take a lot of what we have for granted. If the worst thing that we have to worry about in our LUXURY sports car engine, I'd say we're doing pretty good.
boxster_s_boy_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #26

There is no perfect answer. Over the years all of the car manufacturers' have dealt with this issue. They generally will stand behind the original owner but not used car purchasers. Porsche has had issues like this with most of their models. I have owned a 914, 911S, 911SC and now a Boxster S.
It was so far back I can't remember the issues with the 914. However, the 911S had a major problem with thermal reactors (put on to cut pollution), the SC had issues with timing chain tensioners and blowing air boxes. Nobody has been able to mount a class action. My sense is that over the years and currently there are enough lawyers who own Porsches" that if they thought "class action" was winnable, someone would have mounted the campaign by now.
The only answer as a used owner is to purchase a warranty for some peace of mind if one is so inclined.

sbantit1 is offline   Reply With Quote