986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   99 boxster ? about replacing a bulb or alight housing (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18494-99-boxster-about-replacing-bulb-alight-housing.html)

colby986 10-16-2008 03:11 PM

99 boxster ? about replacing a bulb or alight housing

i have a 99 boxster and i believe that i just blew the bulb on the front right headlight. i have had my boxster for 2 years and she has been a dream so i dont know if i have to replace a lgiht assembly( no damage) or i can just do the bulb. may be dumb ?? but dont want to spend excess moneys.

thanks colbys986

Lil bastard 10-16-2008 03:34 PM

You can change the bulb, it's an H7. To do this, you must remove the headlight. First, pull back the lining in the trunk on the side of the affected lamp. Then, you'll see a rubber 'stopper' in the side of the trunk under the lining. Pull this 'stopper' to recveal a hole where you insert the tool from the toolkit (5mm hex on a 't' handle). Once inserted on the nut, turn anti-clockwise until you hear a loud (heart-stopping) 'pop', this has just released the headlight which will now slide forward out of the fender.

Then locate the bad bulb socket and open it by twisting, swap the bulb and slide the headlight back into the fender with some authority as you'll need to get it into the electrical connector in the fender. Then, using the same tool as before, turn it clockwise until another heart-stopping 'pop' - now the headlight is 'locked' back in place. Replace rubber 'stopper' and trunk lining and you're done.

bigb 10-16-2008 04:04 PM

Couple of things to keep in mind:

1. when releasing the headlight using the tool from the kit, always move it towards the seating area of the car (helps avoid confusion about clockwise/anti-cw when doing it on the passenger's side headlight or the driver's side).

2. The low-beam bulb is the one higher in the headlight housing, and the high-beam bulb is the lower one.

3. Both the bulbs are the same type (H7) for halogens. So, in a pinch, you can just take the high-beam bulb and put it in the low-beam slot. You will not have high-beam on that side until you get a replacement bulb, of course.

4. Do not touch the bulb with your fingers - apparently the oil etc. present in our fingers creates hot-spots on bulbs, causing them to go out.

5. When taking the headlight out, if it doesn't seem to want to come out after the loud pop, try moving the tool just a little bit towards the front of the car (opposite of what you did to release the headlight).

It is pretty easy, and the H7 bulb is not too expensive (should be less than $20 at the dealer). Do keep in mind that you get the correct wattage - a high watt bulb will most definitely cause yellowing/melting on the inside of the headlamp.

Good luck.

Burg Boxster 10-16-2008 04:06 PM

In a pinch, you can swap a bulbs from either the fog, high, or low beams as all 3 (in halogen set-ups like yours) use the H7 55W bulb.

Additionally, I usually just go ahead and replace the same bulb on the other side. In most circumstances they were put in new at the same time and usually tend to go around the same time (w/in a week or 2). Of course, if you know a specific reason why, other than end of useful life, it failed you can just replace the one. ;)

ronev 04-19-2009 07:50 AM

I joined this forum for this specific problem....no low beams. You guys are very helpful!

I pulled one low beam bulb, checked it with an ohm-meter, it was open (so it was bad). I went to AutoZone, got 2 H7 bulbs, replaced them, and all is good. Took about 25 minutes.

I would always check the bulbs first (with an ohm-meter)....saves time and money.

Thanks to all of you!!

ronev

1999 Boxster, Zenith Blue, Factory Aero Kit.

rgriffin 06-09-2009 06:49 PM

Does anyone know what to do if the round clear lens (closest to bulb) gets yellow spot and cracks? What is correct wattage for bulbs? Do I have to get whole new headlamp assemblys? Thanks for any help!

BoxsterDuke 08-02-2010 09:47 AM

Headlight removal tool

Please see my post regarding "bulb replacement".....has anyone else had the hex socket tool explode in their hands, almost slashing their wrists... :eek: ...and if so, what did you replace it with? Appreciate some help Guys??