Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #1

oil change

Hi, I just bought a boxster , first Porsche for me, I want to change the oil, how do I jack up the car, can it be done from the rear or do I have to do it from the side.Is agip oil ok or should I use Mobil 1,also what brand oil filter should I use.
Thanks Don

Donald DeJianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
bmussatti

Don, do a search on oil change directions. They are here someplace.

Use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W40. You need about 9 quarts. Use an OEM oil filter.

What is "agip" oil???? Is that a typo?
Old 10-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #3

Search is your friend...there are many good write-ups on DIY oil changes. There is a list of oils approved by Porsche at one of those links...perhaps someone knows it offhand. "AGIP" is Italy's largest oil manufacturer with operations in the southern hemisphere.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #4

Ok, here is what I have learned from doing my first oil change.

1) Get a replacement drain plug just in case you strip yours when removing it. I believe it is about 12 bucks

2) Get an oem filter kit and Mobile 1... 9 qts will be enough.

3) Be prepared to catch the 9 qts that will be coming out of your car during the drain. It is a lot of oil!

4) Get a filter wrench... the bottom of the OEM filter has an area that a filter cup
wrench will fit on... this is much easier.. the housing is plastic so be careful not to use a band type wrench that wont grab it.

5) A lift is the best way to do this, but I believe you could jack up the rear and use
jack stands to get under there... the drain plug and filter are right in front of you and not difficult to access.

Best of luck!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #5

I use a ramp. Just backup the car onto the ramp. Very easy.

See if this will help.
http://boxsters.addr.com/jacking.htm
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #6

One thing not mentioned - you want the car level when draining so you get out as much of the old oil as possible.

I raise the car on one side, set a jackstand (in case the jack were to fail), loosen the drain nut, slide my pan underneath, then lower the car back down level (my drain pan just clears) and loosen the oil fill. After 30 min. (necessary to get all the oil out), I raise the car, replace the drain nut (with new crush washer), loosen and change filter cartridge and 'o' ring. Then drop the car again and refill the oil.

Couple of other points - run the car prior to this until the temp gauge needle just passes 100 degrees - much of the dirt you want to get out will settle, running the car allows the oil to pick this dirt up and hold it until drained, also heating it slightly allows it to drain more quickly and fully without a danger of scalding yourself (be careful of Hot exhaust parts).
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
FTD

I use ramps on an incline, that once the car is backed on to them the car is exactly level. Sticking chocks under the front wheels is a good safety extra. I go off and do other things ie: fix dinner or whatever and let it drain for a good while. I have trouble with my pan. It should hold all of the oil but I have a little mess anyway so I have started putting down newspaper just in case things get a little sloppy.

Lil B's technique looks easy, too.

Also, I use Mobile1, but other discussions on this forum recommend Redline. However, I didn't find it when I set out to buy oil so convenience won.

I have embraced other points made here and elsewhere regarding the right tools / equipment / preparation.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:03 AM   #8

I follow the same procedure Lil B described...my pan just barely fits under the car when lowered back down, but everything is very easy to get at. If careful, you should have no problem with the drain plug; I also bought the filter adapter that fits right on the housing to remove.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:39 AM   #9

Same here. Due to the incline on my driveway having the car on the ramp levels the car perfectly. It also provides a lot of room to work under the back of the car. To me it's easier and safer than jacking up and placing on jackstands

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
I use ramps on an incline, that once the car is backed on to them the car is exactly level. Sticking chocks under the front wheels is a good safety extra. I go off and do other things ie: fix dinner or whatever and let it drain for a good while. I have trouble with my pan. It should hold all of the oil but I have a little mess anyway so I have started putting down newspaper just in case things get a little sloppy.

Lil B's technique looks easy, too.

Also, I use Mobile1, but other discussions on this forum recommend Redline. However, I didn't find it when I set out to buy oil so convenience won.

I have embraced other points made here and elsewhere regarding the right tools / equipment / preparation.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #10

My last oil change had Agip oil put in. Mobil1 is no longer 100% synthetic.

Redline is awesome stuff but $$$.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
FTD

One more thing on the oil change. The first time I added the amount stated in the owners manual. That ended up being too much, and it showed itself at the track. I should have measured what came out and used that as a guide for how much to put in. The second time, still not measuring what came out, [I did not have a couple of gallon containers to pour it in] I put in 8 quarts and drove for 30 miles. Then combining the dip stick results and the OBC reading, I added another half quart. I eventually added the remaining half quart to bring it to a full 9 quarts. If I had done this on the first oil change I might have found I only needed 8 quarts or 8.5 quarts.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #12

agip oil

agip is an Italian oil, they recommended it where I bought my car, it is also recommended by Porsche . They don't care for Mobil 1 but said it is ok.Thanks for all the replies.
Don
Donald DeJianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:22 AM   #13

If one were to switch from Mobil 1 to Redline, I assume the recommendation is also 0W-40?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #14

Did my first 986 (2.7L) oil change tonight. It was actually one of the easier oil changes I have done. Everything is very convenient to reach. My wife used to have a 2000 Dodge Neon that you had to be like the "rubber man" in the Fantastic 4 to reach the oil filter. I did make a bit of mess at first. I had no idea the oil would come out in such volume. I tried catching some in a sample bottle for Blackstone and it quickly over-filled and went all over the place. Oh well, that is why we have kitty litter.

Next time it's air filter and spark plugs. :dance:
Old 10-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #15

Changed the oil in my 97 Boxster last night. Was very simple put it up on ramps drained the oil and changed the filter. It was really quick save $190 over what the Porsche shop wanted.
jopo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #16

The results are in!

I can live with this. . .