Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #1

How do I top-off or change the Manual Trans. Oil?

Looked inside the owners manual and it just says take it to an authorized dealship. Is it located in the service mode/engine area? I only saw the power steering fluid resiviour. Isn't there a way to check the manual trans. fuild level?

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 10-15-2008 at 12:37 PM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7060

The difference is that you're not supposed to fill up to the fill hole in the boxster. It's supposed to be something like 11mm under the hole level. I don't have the Bentley manual handy right now but I think it's shown there.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7060

The difference is that you're not supposed to fill up to the fill hole in the boxster. It's supposed to be something like 11mm under the hole level. I don't have the Bentley manual handy right now but I think it's shown there.
Okay, but is there a dip stick like there is for the regular oil checking? Or is it just a visual container like the brake fruid area has that you can see clearly where to stop because the container is clear plastic and has markings? Is it at least reachable in the service mode? I have the Bently manual at home. Guess I will look it up when I get home.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Okay, but is there a dip stick like there is for the regular oil checking? Or is it just a visual container like the brake fruid area has that you can see clearly where to stop because the container is clear plastic and has markings? Is it at least reachable in the service mode? I have the Bently manual at home. Guess I will look it up when I get home.
No to all of those questions. You have to make your own dip stick with a hanger or something to reach into the hole to see what the fill level is. And it's all done from under the car, you can't change the transmission fluid from above. Although you could fill it by adding oil through a hose, I suppose. I just use a hand pump with a 1 quart capacity.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote