986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   986 Forum & You (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18464-986-forum-you.html)

9eighty6 10-14-2008 04:52 AM

986 Forum & You

Just out of pure curiosity ... how often do you find yourself on this site?

cas951 10-14-2008 06:49 AM

I don't post much but I check to see the topics several times a day.

JP-s-in st. louis 10-14-2008 07:07 AM

When I am at home with my non work laptop everyday. Do I post always NO but I look at what some of you are posting.

lucky_topher 10-14-2008 07:12 AM

i'd post more if the forum weren't so slow

Gary in BR 10-14-2008 07:42 AM

I look everyday, a few times a day actually.
I know the members here well enough to know
that most of you know more about subject than
I do so I let you answer.

rick3000 10-14-2008 08:19 AM

I look a few times a day, but I only post where I think I can help. The forum has slowed down in the last few months, which is why I haven't been posting as much.
Motor and technical stuff isn't my specialty, but most Boxster DIY, audio and anything to do with a hardtop or RTS, I can help out. :cheers:

ekam 10-14-2008 08:40 AM

Am I the only one who leaves the browser window up and hit the refresh button every 5 mins?

Kirk 10-14-2008 10:43 AM

Has the forum slowed down lately? It seems like it to me. I get on here once a day and check the new posts. I've found lately that I'm spending less time reading them though. I thought maybe I was just getting smarter and didn't need as much help. :p I'm thinking though that with the slow economy people are spending less and getting on the forums less to ask questions about mods and DIY stuff. Basically anything you do with these cars, whether mods or repairs, is just damn expensive and hard to stomach when the economy is going south.

Kirk

TriGem2k 10-14-2008 10:46 AM

I leave a 986forum tab open pretty much anytime I'm on any of my computers.

9eighty6 10-14-2008 01:35 PM

Hello everyone,

Kirk, I think you have a great point ... people are buying less cars (especially those considered to be a 'luxury' such as a Porsche) and that makes less traffic here. Combine that with many of us holding onto our wallets and therefore spending less on Mods for the time being there is less going on. It is true that almost everything one can do with the Boxster is relatively expensive unless DIY.

I know I am on here all the time. I would like to thank Brucelee & Rkwei for running such an informative and classy forum in general as well as to everyone else who helps others with their questions, comments, or anything inbetween. I find the discussions, threads and information to be handy and interesting. I haven't noticed the site slow down at all personally ... so it's all good here.

:cheers: & thanks for voting!

Jeph 10-14-2008 03:10 PM

I don't know if the economy theory comes into play with this forum. The majority of the posting is done by the same 20 or so members.

I've been on forums for a while, and they have cycles of popularity, and periods of lapses. I myself had a hard time selecting an answer for this survey because sometimes I post/check the site multiple times a day and sometimes I go a week without wondering what's going on here.

Ebb and flow.

chrisdridley 10-14-2008 05:14 PM

I look a couple of times a day but don't post much.
I am new to the Porsche world and am learning as much as I can.

turbo23dog 10-14-2008 05:33 PM

I'm normally on twice a day. Almost always eat lunch at my desk and read a Porsche site or two. I'll also get check again at home after dinner while listening to the TV financial network talking heads.

djomlas 10-14-2008 07:17 PM

i like this forum lot, its been a great experience and met and chatted with a lot of people, but like Jeph said, its weird that sometimes i would post all the time, and sometime not at all or long long periods of time.

RandallNeighbour 10-14-2008 07:57 PM

I look at the threads every day, and watch replies daily through email receipt.

But I never touch. I promise. :dance:

My wife once said I enjoy the forum more than my boxster.

That's partially true. This forum has never cost me thousands of dollars in repairs... but it has cost me thousands in mod envy I guess.

Brucelee 10-15-2008 06:00 AM

I am here all the time, kind of.

Anyway, mostly it is to look at Randall's 97. That has to be the nicest 97 on record.

:dance:

RandallNeighbour 10-15-2008 06:47 AM

Local forum members and I would beg to differ with you. The car has two small rust spots, a thoroughly peppered front bumper, and (gasp) one of my rocker panels is pulling away from the car and I must remove it again (3rd time) and finally install it correctly.

It certainly is in the running for highest dollar amount spent on a 97 by an individual without replacing a motor.

So quit your faux praise there, you rust-free Corvette driver :D

BTW, I was just thinking the other day if I would ever get to Carlsbad, CA so I could shake your hand and meet you in person. I bet a lot of forum members would enjoy meeting you!

Brucelee 10-15-2008 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Local forum members and I would beg to differ with you. The car has two small rust spots, a thoroughly peppered front bumper, and (gasp) one of my rocker panels is pulling away from the car and I must remove it again (3rd time) and finally install it correctly.

It certainly is in the running for highest dollar amount spent on a 97 by an individual without replacing a motor.

So quit your faux praise there, you rust-free Corvette driver :D

BTW, I was just thinking the other day if I would ever get to Carlsbad, CA so I could shake your hand and meet you in person. I bet a lot of forum members would enjoy meeting you!

Actually, I am driving a Lexus these days. It is rust free however. :D

And because of gas prices, the L is mostly in the garage and the Sporty gets the nod whenever possible.

I am ALWAYS up for meeting forum members. It is a great time of year here in Carlsbad, save the wildfires.

I was mentioned to Richard Kwei the other day that we have the greatest group of forum members.

Thanks to all for visting.

:dance:

FTD 10-15-2008 10:51 AM

I initially posted a lot - wanting to get involved and be a part of the group. Everyone's avatars gave me a sense of familiarity and eventually friendship. This is the only forum I have ever posted in until recently to help an aquaintance get a new local forum growing- so my point is that I am not a blogger or internet junky. I just like this group and I have also learned a LOT.

While I am slow at work, I have become annoyingly dependant on it for mental entertainment - salivating for new posts and comments almost daily. Its kinda pathetic. But it can also lead me to new threads of research so at least I am not clock watching. :)

One day I will take a pic that I like and have an avatar. I think that helps.

eslai 10-15-2008 11:20 AM

I check these forums once a day. Unfortunately they don't feel as relevant for a 987 owner as they do a 986 owner.

I actually probably get more useful information out of Cayman Club, but their board is a little cheesy at times with the heavy-handed cayman pride sometimes. Too much "we're going to out-911 the 911 guys!!!" if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, if anyone's down for a meet-up in San Diego/North County, I'd be interested.