Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #1

Sat nav/Audio problem ?

Hi all, i have just bought a 2001 Boxster S, problem is the sat nav display will not come on nor will the radio, the cd player below the sat nav has the map cd in & seems to be loading as you can hear it & both green lights are lit on the cd player, there is no sound comes out & i cannot get the display on the sat nav to come on, i have checked the fuse & found all are ok,

when i bought it i was told i needed a security card for it to work but instructions show this to be untrue as the slot is for a phone sim card, i have all the cards & codes,

Has anyone any ideas what the problem could be !

Thanks Alfy

Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #2

We need more info such as model # of the radio (as PO may have put a different h/u in). Anyhow, I can't speak specifically to the Traffic Pro model but you might want to check a few things.

The first Traffic Pro h/u is similar to the CDR-220 and looks like this:

-try removing the faceplate (pushing the CD eject button on h/u) and cleaning the contacts (w/ a pencil eraser or q-tip & rubbing alcohol)
- CDR-220 also has a second fuse on back of the head unit. TP might too? If you have a set of the radio keys, pull the h/u out and look. If not, you can see if a local stereo shop will let you borrow their keys (same as VW/Audi keys and look like this:

Finally, here's a link to the manual for the Traffic Pro and it mentions something about a software reset on P44. Manual Here

Good luck and hope this helps

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 10-11-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #3

thanks Burg Boxster,
the unit i have is the original PCM unit with inbuilt sat nav, phone sims, cassette, & a cd changer in the front boot, this is the PCM 2.1 newer version, http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=92&cat=5&sl=l

i noticed yesterday whilst the sun shone on the sat nav it is actually working but can only be seen with strong sunight on it, the cassette & cd however do not work, i am now wondering weather to take the old PCM out & fit a modern inbuilt sat nav/dvd player rather than paying to have the old unit looked at/repaired, any ideas which sat nav will fit good & sit flat in the dash,

Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote