986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   2.5 question.. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18369-2-5-question.html)

mikes_box 10-02-2008 02:23 PM

2.5 question..

which model year is the best for the 2.5 engine... i know they go from 97 to 99. of the three years which would have less issues... ie... slipped sleeve, rms, ims... thanks.

Lil bastard 10-02-2008 02:55 PM

Not an easy answer. Each model year had it's own issues. mid-88 - early pp were pretty much the only ones with cylinder issues. '97 had the worst RMS issues of the bunchj, but not by much and probably due to higher mileage and in-service time. I don't consider ims to be an issue with the 2.5... that was before Porsche redesigned it.

RandallNeighbour 10-02-2008 02:57 PM

I wondered the same thing. Many of the 97's and 98's have new engines in them for one reason or another. Mine does.

There were some mid year 98's that produced catastrophic failure. Garage queens you find that are manufactured for that three or four month period (can't remember which months, sorry) with original motors should probably be avoided.

If you don't yet own a boxster, I would definitely keep saving and buy one with a 3.2 in it and avoid the 2.5 and 2.7 motors altogether... you will be happy you did after you get the car. I sure wish I did.

The 2.5 is peppy and very satisfying if you drive mostly on twisty roads for pleasure. However, if you drive it to work every day and want to nail it to get on the freeway, prove to the kid in the Mustang GT that your car is fast and vastly more expensive to own and maintain, and/or straight line performance has any importance to you, the 3.2 will satisfy that need.

mikes_box 10-02-2008 03:09 PM

i've had a 97 but sold it due to an rms leak and me not wanting to put 3-4 in fixing the leak and also changing out the clutch... i've got the itch to get back into one and don't mind the 2.5 so am looking at the 97-99 years.... how would you know if the engine had been replaced....

Gary in BR 10-06-2008 10:06 AM

I think the dealerships keep records on the cars based on the VIN, so if the engine was replaced by a dealer there will be records of it.

I would not shy away from a car because of the engine if it was replaced by a dealer, or good shop.

rick3000 10-06-2008 11:56 AM

In the interest of getting the newest possible car, I would get a '99. But make sure and check out the date range for the slip sleeve issue on '99's. I think it was the first few months of 1999 but I am not sure.

insite 10-06-2008 12:31 PM

i second rick3000's feelings with one caveat: get one with at least 35k miles on it. there are SOME '99s that suffer slipped sleeves; this happens EARLY in the motor's life. go with a proven motor that has some miles on it and you should be good to go. mine has 135k miles on it and i take it to the track all the time.

mikefocke 10-06-2008 01:39 PM

Late build date in '99 model year

If the engine is original. But if the engine has been replaced...any year.

I always found 201HP to be more than enough...considering the 914-4 had 85.

Tips

Rick V 10-07-2008 02:28 AM

My wifes 97 has just a tick over 100k on the clock, it is her daily driver, no problems, and it has the original engine. If you pick one up with 60+ on the clock, the issues should be either non existent or been addresses already. And don't sell the little 2.5 short, it can hold it's own. I agree that the larger engines have more wallop but I can attest it can run with a 3.2 carrera.....................until about 120. I hate to say it but my wifes little boxster ia a good match against my SC, and the 2.5 has an awsome sound.
Just make sure to get a PPI, do your homework on a specific car and not a year. These cars are getting old, and with that comes individual issues.

jmatta 10-07-2008 06:01 AM

Why wouldn't you consider the 2.7? I have friends with base Boxsters and they really enjoy them. I wouldn't trade my 3.2, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 2.7. It's actually quite lively with the five speed. Sixth gear in my car is useless, other than keeping revs down on highway driving for great mpg (most fuel efficient car in my family!)