Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #1

O2 Faults

About 8 mo. ago I got my car. One of the things I did is replace the O2 sensors since it was giving me a bad reading for one. I replaced them all with USOS-4000 Universal Sensors. Now it is reporting bad O2 sensors again. This is the breakdown of what has been happening:

7/29/09 - P0139 (replaced)
8/13 - P1118 (replaced)
8/30 - P1502, P1115, P1117, P1119 (replaced both pre sensors)
current - alarm has gotten wet and can't proceed but before that happened CEL came on once again

The thing that concerns me is that on the Durametric website, it says in troubleshooting '00 986s that when multiple O2's go off, it can mean that I have a bad MAF or air leak. That P1502 is suspicious. I had that code before and it turned out that my brake booster hose had a leak. Replaced it and CEL went away. This was about 3 mo. back. What do you guys think is going on?

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #2

You used the wrong O2 sensors

and didn't crimp them correctly and so are giving bogus signals to the ECU is my guess.

Bosch makes the ones Porsche buys and Bosch has multi-million dollar machines that do the crimp and then test. I've used them to replace both my pre-cat sensors.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #3

When my CEL kept coming on for various 02 sensor faults the first thing I tried (based on what I'd read in these forums) was to thoroughly clean the MAF with electrical contact cleaner and Q-tips.

No problems since then and that was almost a year ago. Probably worth a try for a few dollars worth of cleaner, although you do need some tamper proof star (torx) bits to get at the sensor.
Paul_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Fred Demara

don't know if this helps, but I have a set of 4 OEM sensors that had about 40k on the (no codes when the engine died)....you're for free if yours interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
About 8 mo. ago I got my car. One of the things I did is replace the O2 sensors since it was giving me a bad reading for one. ?

Last edited by Fred Demara; 09-05-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #5

So you disconnected, cleaned, and then reconnected the MAF and then cleared the codes on the O2 and haven't gotten anything back? I may try that. I find it hard to believe that I didn't crimp them correctly. I was actually using posi-lock connectors which are better anyway. This is something that happened out of nowhere so I just don't see how all of a sudden all the O2 sensors went bad or lost a electrical connection at once.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:50 AM   #6

Yes, the MAF has two 'mirrors' inside which I carefully cleaned -being sure not to leave any cotton fluff from the Qtip inside.

Reconnected everything back and cleared the codes with the Durametric gizmo and, although I couldn't tell any difference in how the engine runs, I've not had the CEL since. Before cleaning the MAF it would come back on every 20 to 30 miles or so.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #7

Interesting. I will have to try that. Did you ever get the p1502 error (idle air control)
Old 09-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #8

I wouldn't touch the MAF surfaces

with a q-tip. Rather use MAF cleaner spray and be careful not to touch any of the surfaces which could be doing the measuring of the airflow, rather just touch the plastic. Shake to dry. These things are expensive and I've never run across a generic one, rather just the Porsche branded and OEM maker.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #9

Just been looking at my logs and the codes I got were 1123 and 1125, so no on the 1502.

I was going to replace the MAF if cleaning didn't work, so wanted to ensure that it was completely clean. Don't think I understand what the concern is with using a Q-tip soaked in cleaner, but sometimes I guess it pays to play it safe.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
About 8 mo. ago I got my car. One of the things I did is replace the O2 sensors since it was giving me a bad reading for one. I replaced them all with USOS-4000 Universal Sensors. Now it is reporting bad O2 sensors again. This is the breakdown of what has been happening:

7/29/09 - P0139 (replaced)
8/13 - P1118 (replaced)
8/30 - P1502, P1115, P1117, P1119 (replaced both pre sensors)
current - alarm has gotten wet and can't proceed but before that happened CEL came on once again

The thing that concerns me is that on the Durametric website, it says in troubleshooting '00 986s that when multiple O2's go off, it can mean that I have a bad MAF or air leak. That P1502 is suspicious. I had that code before and it turned out that my brake booster hose had a leak. Replaced it and CEL went away. This was about 3 mo. back. What do you guys think is going on?
Ignore your MAF. These codes are not related.

P1502- Throttle jacking spring test-
Clean the contacts to the throttle jack and be sure the harness is not damaged. For more info: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=300de68904ded095af73b8701e48489d&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=%2Bp1502

P1115,p1117,p1118,p1119- O2 sensor heating below threshold.
Bad sensors, wrong sensors for your car model, mis-wired sensors, damaged wire harness. You currently have no working O2 sensors so no monitoring of your mixture. This can damage your cats and potentially your engine over time.