986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Krauts and Japs at it again! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18355-krauts-japs-again.html)

Lil bastard 10-01-2008 06:55 AM

Krauts and Japs at it again!

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/30/porsche-accuses-nissan-gt-r-of-cheating-the-ring/?icid=200100397x1210457835x1200608170

Brucelee 10-01-2008 07:37 AM

JUst to head this off at the pass, as someone who is of German heritiage, I don't have an issue with the term Krauts. Nor, do I find Pollack offensive. Nor Mick, nor Frog.

There, I have hanled my lineage.

:D

Lil bastard 10-01-2008 09:57 AM

Sorry... no offense intended... I'm of Irish decent and have heard all the 'Pat & Mike' jokes there are and find them very funny...not offensive at all. I was just trying to give it a 'catchy' title. If anyone is offended, I apologize as this was NOT my intent!

I realize that German-Americans had NOTHING to do with the Holocaust and that Japanese-Americans were NOT the ones who attacked Pearl Harbor. Both groups are honored members of the US citizenry!

fragdude 10-01-2008 11:15 AM

Gossipy, I love it!

jk

this will be interesting though. Lots of people do buy the GT-R saying that is faster than a Turbo around the 'ring. I wonder how this will effect buyers. Maybe some people who placed orders on the GT-R will ask for the $$ back?

Kirk 10-01-2008 02:23 PM

Nissan may have been using one of their "ringer" cars at the Ring. :p

If you read the latest Car and Driver they did an article about the inconsistency in Nissan GTR test cars. Evidently some of them have significantly more horsepower than Nissan claims, to get the acceleration times they're getting. That's still up for debate, but on average it just looks like a plus for anyone who buys one. Porsche may be comparing the power/weight ratio claimed by Nissan, which C&D has shown to be under valued.

Kirk

bigb 10-01-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk
Porsche may be comparing the power/weight ratio claimed by Nissan, which C&D has shown to be under valued.
Kirk

That would be true if Porsche were simply comparing numbers, without doing an actual test. In this case, however, Porsche bought a GTR and drove it around the ring. They bought it in the US, and the way these things go, I am sure the Nissan folks did not know it was Porsche that was buying the car.

CD (or some other car mag) did point out the inconsistency of "heavier--same-HP--yet-faster" in the GTR. IIRC they insinuated that it could be the electronics (or perhaps that was my personal 'take away' from reading the article).

Btw, I'm sure Porsche has access to a dyno, so they must have done a check already on the claimed vs actual on the GTR.

EvilTwin 10-02-2008 09:09 AM

Porsche needs to step up to the challenge. The Nissan did beat the total lap time but it was using R-compound tires. That doesn't matter because GM brought the new ZR-1 to the "ring" with stock Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires and set a new lap record of 7:26.4. That was on 06/27/08.

pteam 10-02-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Porsche needs to step up to the challenge. The Nissan did beat the total lap time but it was using R-compound tires. That doesn't matter because GM brought the new ZR-1 to the "ring" with stock Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires and set a new lap record of 7:26.4. That was on 06/27/08.

And a 2008 dodge viper acr with 600 hp on ps2s has set the record for fastest production car on production tires shortly after at 7:22

jmatta 10-02-2008 10:47 AM

I don't think that stereotype is necessay in this day and age. It was funny on Archie Bunker's "All in the Family", but not so funny nowadays.

As for the Nissan..."cheater".

Frodo 10-02-2008 02:53 PM

No...it's still funny.

fatmike 10-02-2008 04:22 PM

I tend to believe Porsche on this one. Nissan probably used non-stock racing tires.

Think thru the scenario a little. If Porsche's accusation wasn't based in fact, then all Nissan would have to do is show up tomorrow at the ring and replicate the test, bringing a flock of magazine reporters. Nissan would then prove their product on a huge stage. That would totally backfire on Porsche.

Surely Porsche thought this through...right? I guess we'll see.

Quickurt 10-02-2008 04:33 PM

Achtung!!
Vas is ziss kraut krap? Hummph?

Hai konichiwa. Wakarimasen "jap" ka? Anata wa "ass" hirogohan-o tabe tai desu!

:D :D