Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #1

Are alignments that specialized on our 986's?

I left mine today at my usual shop to get it done but they didn't have time and I have to pick it up undone. I like my shop but I hate having to make all sorts or crazy arrangements to get rides back and forth, especially for something like this.

I tried one place where I live but they didn't want to touch it. I'd rather look around to see if a shop near where I work can take care of it in the same day I leave it, so am I limited to 'specialized' shops for this kind of work?
Chris

Old 10-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #2

Yes they are

You can get a Boxster aligned for the track or for max mileage on your rears via even tire wear. Both within Porsche specs. So do you want someone doing it and settling for within spec? Or do you go find someone who knows the car and the effect the possibilities have on handing and tire wear.

I had best luck with someone who set up P-cars for racing. Such a person knows the theory and the practice and how to apply it all to your specific suspension. That was 14 k miles ago and my rears are wearing perfectly evenly. I figure I have 4k miles to go before they have to be replaced.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #3

I understand your points. However, I don't track this car and I just have the stock suspension. My steering wheel is slowly becoming more turned to the left so I'm looking for a shop near work that can do it.

My regular shop is trying to get me a put coil-overs but it's a lot more $ than I have to throw at it. I was thinking of maybe going with the M030 instead.
Chris
Old 10-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #4

If you do not track the car, why would you upgrade the suspension? The base suspension has more capability than probably 95% of the drivers out there can handle. I agree with Mike's coment through; you need someone who understands the alignment's intricacies, rather than a shop that aligns common vehicles.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #5

An alignment is just an alignment. But, the Boxster is more sensitive to an improper alignment and so it's more the skill of the tech rather than the alignment itself. No need to upgrade the suspension for a street car, but the M030 (S) anti-roll bar does give the car a better feel... you can keep the stock springs and shocks though
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #6

I never had problems until I had the CV boots replaced. I run 19's and the last shop---uh, misplaced---my rear spacers; life has not been good since. I am hopeful a new set of spacers and a correct alignment corrects the situation.
HB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:26 AM   #7

I guess I should clarify. I don't track the car 'yet'. I suspect next year I'll start doing some DE and AX with it, plus I am the Rally chair in my region and we start up in full swing next year. I am bringing the Box back on Monday and the shop will jump on it then.

Seeing as I do want to upgrade the suspension I'll probably do this in stages and get the M030 sway bars first, then purchase the Bilsteins next, then later have Musante install and set up the car. I might as well do it once and do it right.
Chris
Old 10-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #8

alignments on this car are VERY easy. any shop with the new hunter machine should be able to do it fine in about an hour.

there are allowable 'ranges' the machine gives you for an 'in spec' alignment. within these ranges, there are good alignments and bad alignments. if you give the shop the numbers to hit, they should be able to do just fine even if they've never touched a boxster before.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
alignments on this car are VERY easy. any shop with the new hunter machine should be able to do it fine in about an hour.
My mechanic's shop has the Hunter DSP400 alignment machine, is that sufficient? I know they service lots of Ferraris there as well. Thanks.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Always tell the shop exactly what specs you want for each axle, don't accept "anywhere within the high and low spec".

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote