986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   B&M short shifter: reverse is tough! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18332-b-m-short-shifter-reverse-tough.html)

Jacques79 09-28-2008 07:02 PM

B&M short shifter: reverse is tough!

To those who have the B&M short shift kit, do you find it really harder to get into reverse?

I almost have zero feeling when I get into reverse, I kind of have to hope it's in...

Is this normal?

I also thought the shift action was a little too rough; I can't really flick my wrist to shift anymore...

blue2000s 09-28-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques79
To those who have the B&M short shift kit, do you find it really harder to get into reverse?

I almost have zero feeling when I get into reverse, I kind of have to hope it's in...

Is this normal?

I also thought the shift action was a little too rough; I can't really flick my wrist to shift anymore...

Try adjusting the cable that moves when you move the lever from side-to-side. Reverse shouldn't be any harder to feel than the other gears, at least it wasn't in my case. Is this a 5 or 6-speed. If it's a 6-speed, it's very possible that if the cable isn't adjusted correctly, the lever can be hitting the base before the cable is moved adequately.

Required force definitely is higher with the B&M.

Jacques79 09-28-2008 07:25 PM

Yeah I thought the B&M was the same thing as the Porsche OEM short shifter....I guess I was wrong because at my dealer they had a 2004 911 with an OEM short shift kit and the ****************s were much smoother and required less effort.

23109VC 09-28-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques79
Yeah I thought the B&M was the same thing as the Porsche OEM short shifter....I guess I was wrong because at my dealer they had a 2004 911 with an OEM short shift kit and the ****************s were much smoother and required less effort.

B&M on prune juice....

Jacques79 09-30-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23109VC
B&M on prune juice....

lmao

I missed that one :D

jmatta 10-01-2008 05:39 AM

You probably didn't get the cables back in properly. I have an '02S six speed and my B&M is nice, even a little notchy (which is how I like it). Compared to my 911 with a 915 tranny, this thing feels so precise and right I couldn't go back to the standard shifter.

fragdude 10-01-2008 11:21 AM

Agreed with the cable adjustment. Reverse is harder to get in on my shifter (porsche short shifter, but it really is just a b&m), but i know when its in.