986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   car cover necessary for garaged storage? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18328-car-cover-necessary-garaged-storage.html)

drWalter 09-28-2008 10:29 AM

car cover necessary for garaged storage?

Hi all,

I've been enjoying my 2004 S all summer long, but am now starting to plan for what I'll do in a month or so when winter starts to threaten :ah:

The boxster will spend Nov. to end of March in my garage, my '03 GTI gets to play in the snow. I'm going to put the battery on a maintainer, which I still need to buy, but I'm undecided if I really need an indoor cover as well. I can see that a cover could protect the paint if something accidentally falls on the car, but this could happen any time, and I don't use a cover all summer long. If I don't mind dust accumulating over the winter, is there really a big advantage to using an indoor cover? I haven't noticed squirrels inside the garage, but if they did get inside I don't see a light cover discouraging them at all.

Thanks for your advice.

jmatta 09-28-2008 11:03 AM

I find that a cover will protect a build up of dust and such that accumulates over so many months. I live in an area void of rodents and moths, so it really is just to protect the car's finish from any exterior containiments.

Sorry the picture came out so bad!

Kirk 09-29-2008 08:22 AM

I personally like using a cover, although with a garaged car I do agree that it's overkill. I mostly drive my car on the weekends, so after the car looks beautiful with a fresh wash and wax I'll keep it covered in the garage to keep it looking that way for the next weekend. I would definitely cover it over an extended period like the winter (but I live in sunny California.. HA HA), if nothing else to keep the dust and grime off the car.

Kirk

Lil bastard 09-29-2008 08:51 AM

I store mine and I cover it. I believe it's best

70Sixter 09-29-2008 12:15 PM

I cover the -6 with an indoor cover that lets very fine dust thru over time as the car is not driven often.

I bought a heavy duty outdoor cover for the Box and used it indoors for a time. I noticed that even an apparently clean car was leaving dirt on the felt-like material over the fender touch points.

So now the only time the Box gets covered is immediately after a wash, and when I don't plan to take it out anytime soon.

I also run a dehumidifier in the garage as humidity is a problem here.

drWalter 09-29-2008 01:01 PM

I've decided to get a cover

Thanks to those who responded. I've decided to go ahead and get a cover, it should be worth it for the peace of mind. I'll start shopping around online pronto and maybe come back with questions about a particular cover that looks interesting. Thanks

Bobiam 10-01-2008 05:58 PM

As you said, it's only to protect it from something accidently dropping on it, if you have a secure garage. Save your money. You'll be tempted to fiddle around with the car numerous time in the winter and will have to be taking the cover on and off. There's a better chance of straching the car when doing that!!!
The garage (without sun, traffic and rain) is a whole lot safer that anything else that you do with the car.

I have a nearly new one that the former owner gave me. It's never been on the car. Probably never will be and I store mine just like your describe for winter.

Bob

Lil bastard 10-01-2008 09:53 PM

@Bobiam - Yea... it's best to set it and forget it! If you store a car... store it !!

It makes NO sense to store a car and then, (most likely due to your impatience) start it up mid-storage. That defeats the purpose of storing it altogether.