986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Key learning code (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18314-key-learning-code.html)

tolum 09-25-2008 04:59 PM

Key learning code

Hi;

I did order a new remote and blank key from Sunset. I have a friend that have a Porsche PST2 and will pass to my house this saturday to activate the following options: On Board Computer & Cruise control on my 03 Boxster base (Us model). When he called tonight to confirm our meeting I did ask him if he can program my new remote and he said sure no problem, but you need a key learning code from your Porsche dealer to code it. Because I did not buy my remote from my closest dealer, I'm not sure he will give me that info. Is there any other way to get that key learning code?

Tks for your help.

rick3000 09-25-2008 09:15 PM

I could be wrong, but I think he means the code on the white tag that came with the key. New keys come with a tag that has the code necessary to program it.

tolum 09-26-2008 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000
I could be wrong, but I think he means the code on the white tag that came with the key. New keys come with a tag that has the code necessary to program it.

No, I have that white tag. My friend told me that with that tag we also need a learning code from Porsche???

Tool Pants 09-26-2008 08:30 AM

Your friend is correct. I have all the codes for my car, but then I know people....

For a normal customer with proof of ownership I do not know the policy.

I know 2 local indepedent shops that have PST2s and program replacement keys. I asked them how they were getting codes, since they are independent. They have a deal with the dealership parts department that if they buy the remote from them, then the dealership will supply the code.

Ask your local dealership if they will give you the codes for your car. Bring in proof of ownership. I would like to know the reaction.

Sunset is a dealership and sold you the remote. I wonder if Sunset would give you the code.

These are security codes so I think a prvate individual is going to have a problem. I would think your local dealership would be happy to program it for you, if you pay them.

tolum 09-26-2008 09:52 AM

Do I need more codes for my friend to activete On Board Computer or it's only for the key?

Tool Pants 09-26-2008 12:48 PM

You do not need a code to turn on the OBC, just a PST2.

I went by my local dealer and talked to the service and parts guys that I have known for years. They will not give out codes to a customer.

You should ask to see if you get a different answer.

My local dealer will code a key that the customer brings in. $85. When I had a key coded there about 8 years ago it was $50.

tolum 09-26-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
You do not need a code to turn on the OBC, just a PST2.

I went by my local dealer and talked to the service and parts guys that I have known for years. They will not give out codes to a customer.

You should ask to see if you get a different answer.

My local dealer will code a key that the customer brings in. $85. When I had a key coded there about 8 years ago it was $50.

I got the following codes for my car this afternoon:
DME code
Remote control code 1
Remote control code 2
Ignition lock alarm code
Transpondeur code 1
Transpondeur code 2
Transpondeur code 3

Is this necessary to code a key?

silverredboxster 09-28-2008 08:31 PM

Similar problem

Hi,

I have the similar problem. Basically, my door lock, alarm, window are not working and I think the alarm control unit is the problem. My question is if I get a new control unit, do I need to do anything to activate the door lock, alarm and window? Or will they work after I plug in the unit?

Thanks

Jon (97 boxster)

Tool Pants 09-29-2008 07:22 AM

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16722-boxster-immobilizer-module-under-seat.html?highlight=control+unit

All the things you mentioned run through that control unit. There is a fuse on the control unit so check that out. The fuse is for the interior lghts and I forget what else.

silverredboxster 09-29-2008 10:03 PM

Thanks for the info.. I checked the fuse and it's good.. If I replace the unit, do I need the PST2 to make the windows, door locks, etc work? I know I have to bring it to the dealer to reprogram the remove and immobilizer..

Thanks

Jon

Tool Pants 09-29-2008 10:19 PM

You need a PST2 to code a replacement unit, then those things will work.

I take it the car starts, but only the "comfort" features don't work. That is strange. Usually when the control unit goes out you can't start the car. That is why I was hoping it was the fuse.

Todd knows this electronic stuff better than me.

silverredboxster 09-30-2008 01:07 PM

Hi,

When I bought the car, the car starts but window, alarm, door lock didn't work. So I unplugged the connector to the control unit and turned on the ignition. After that, the car wouldn't start anymore. Oh, the carpet was wet when I bought the car so I assume the control unit was fried. Do you think the control unit is the problem? Any suggestion? I was going to buy a unit and key fob from sunset and have a dealer program for me.

Thanks

Jon

silverredboxster 10-22-2008 09:22 PM

Hi,
I finally bought the control unit from sunset. When I compared it to the old one, I found out there is a 15 A fuse on the new one but it is missing on the old one. I then intalled a 15A fuse to the old unit and now the car starts, alarm works and door lock works. The only thing not working now is the windows. I checked power and ground and both are good. What else can I check? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jon

tamarsha 10-23-2008 08:30 AM

I had my driver side window stop working on me a while back while I was messing with the radio. After looking through the manual and on-line I disconnected the battery, waited a few, and hooked it back up. I was then able to run the window down and back up so it would relearn the up and down positions. I had to do this twice because I didn’t do the “on touch” up and down with the door closed.

Why the window stopped working in the first place I do not know. I must have been leaning on the switch or something.

silverredboxster 10-23-2008 10:44 PM

Hi,

I fixed the windows too.. Both power wires were corroded inside the front door grommets causing open cirucits.. Now everything works.. But I don't think i can return the alarm ECU even though i didn't even install it.. Thanks for all ur help.

Jon