Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #1

Decided to go with the GAHH top! Question about defroster.

Well, after my back window was damaged, I decided to go with the GAHH replacement top. I am excited about the glass rear window. Just a few questions...
What should I treat the top with when it is installed to preserve and protect it from new. Secondly, is it difficult to install and or connect the heater element. Thirdly, how much less view will I have from the drivers seat.

By the way, $1500.00 installed is my price... is this average. I am confident the shop I am using is excellent. Moorestown Upholstery in NJ has been doing work for my company for years and I have had nothing but excellent results.

I will get some pix next week after it is finished!

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:31 AM   #2

Wink

Sorry I have no advice for you but please let us know how you like the new top. I've been wanting to replace my top for a rear glass window for awhile now. Keep putting it off. Hope all goes well.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #3

Peter Serbanica

new top with glass
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Congrats, and please keep us updated on the reliability of the top. I'll probably be getting the GAHH in Spring.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
AUDIOGUY:

I believe the tops are already treated when they arrive new. Maybe GAHH can confirm this. Most like a cleaner and protectant called RaggTopp. I need to clean and treat my top BTW.

It is very easy to connect the defroster. You just connect the ends of the harness to the tabs on each side of the window and connect the other end to the terminal in the car on the drivers side.

I can't quantify it but the smaller view is definitely noticeable at first. After driving for a couple of days you just get used to the new view and it isn't a problem.

Best of luck.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #6

I purchased a GAHH top for my 2000 about one month ago. I think the tops are treated. I was very pleased with the fit and finish. Even though the back window is smaller, I find the shape easier to see out of. The defroster is a simple plug and play.

Just to let you know, I used a GAHH approved installer in Tampa, Florida and had them purchase the top. Total cost, including installation was only $1,150.00. You may want to negotiate a better price.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #7

Kap,

I know I am paying all the money for the job. GAHH sells the tops for over a grand on their site. With install at 500.00, I dont mind paying 1500.00 at all. The shop I am using is one of the best Top shops I have dealt with. You do get what you pay for in most cases. Thanks for looking out for my wallet!
Old 09-24-2008, 04:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
Kap,

I know I am paying all the money for the job. GAHH sells the tops for over a grand on their site. With install at 500.00, I dont mind paying 1500.00 at all. The shop I am using is one of the best Top shops I have dealt with. You do get what you pay for in most cases. Thanks for looking out for my wallet!

Joe,

Can you give some details on the installation timeframe.

thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I had a GAHH top installed last spring after tearing the plastic window during the winter.

It is the best upgrade I've done to the car. I love it.

As for your questions:

I treated the top about a month after buying it; when it was definitely stretched and ready for normal use. I use Raggtop.

I don't know how hard the defrost harness is to install, I haven't done it yet. But looking at the way it goes I don't think it'll be difficult at all.

The visibility out the back is cut in half by the smaller window. But that is a small price to pay for having glass and a defroster, IMO.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #10

Garage
Gahn top

Installed my own top about 18 months ago. Took about 6 hours to install and instructions were very easy to understand. Probably only saved about 500 bucks insatlling it myself but if anything goes wrong with it I can fix it myself.
mmontfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
I think I've had my Robbins Top with the retro fit glass for about six months and it still looks and works great. Other than a readjustment a couple weeks after installation I've had no issues or problems. I use RaggTop products to clean and protect it.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Kaplan
I purchased a GAHH top for my 2000 about one month ago. I think the tops are treated. I was very pleased with the fit and finish. Even though the back window is smaller, I find the shape easier to see out of. The defroster is a simple plug and play.

Just to let you know, I used a GAHH approved installer in Tampa, Florida and had them purchase the top. Total cost, including installation was only $1,150.00. You may want to negotiate a better price.

Eric
Man, I don't know how you guys got such good deals on these installs. I called GAHH and got a list of 7 different installers in my area (Chicagoland). I told every one of them that I had seen guys on the boards getting these tops installed for around $1,200, but no one could seem to touch that price.

I got quotes ranging from $1,422 to $1,790. The guy that quoted $1,790 did come down to $1,550 when I told him about my quote for $1,422, but that was the best I could do. I eventually called the $1,422 guy back and asked him if he would do "out the door" for $1,400, and he agreed. I have an apointment for next week.

For the guys who have gotten these tops installed for around $1,200, did this include the German Canvas with the defroster wire harness? I know GAHH is throwing the harness in for free right now.
dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #13

Update!!

My top is getting installed tomorrow. I will post some post-top pix when I get it back.

Cheers!