Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #1

Installed the new Maxspeed headers

Well it is done, about 2 hours of work. Not difficult at all.
I installed the Maxspeed headers with the 200 cell Cats. Definate HP gains. It reaches redline much much faster and the sound.....so sweet.

I will dyno next week, I wanted to dyno prior to install, but I could not look at the headers on the garage floor any longer.

2002 S, Fabspeed bypass pipes, Maxspeed headers, Che muffler, EVO intake.

This modification is worth all of the 799$ I paid.

James

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
Well it is done, about 2 hours of work. Not difficult at all.
I installed the Maxspeed headers with the 200 cell Cats. Definate HP gains. It reaches redline much much faster and the sound.....so sweet.

I will dyno next week, I wanted to dyno prior to install, but I could not look at the headers on the garage floor any longer.

2002 S, Fabspeed bypass pipes, Maxspeed headers, Che muffler, EVO intake.

This modification is worth all of the 799$ I paid.

James
I was wondering when the first person would appear that has gone this route. So you like them pretty well? I would love to see the dyno #'s as I was thinking of doing the same for my '01 S.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #3

Now all you have to do is get a new muffler that doesn't have that nasty resonance.

I've grown really tired of my Che muffler over the course of the last few months. It gives me headaches unless I'm joy riding in the country with the top down and running through the gears.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #4

Yes the Che resonance is bad. If I am correct the cause is the two chamber design, So..... I was going to take it to the muffler shop and have them weld a tube that connects the muffler cans, like the fabspeed design.
Fabspeeds seems to be a che with a tube.

The dyno guy is out untill next week so I have to wait. However there is a unmistakable increase in speed. The motor revs much faster.

James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #5

James, be sure to document what the place does to add the piping and if it works. I'd much rather have this done to mine than pay out the wazoo for a maxpeed unit, which is not guaranteed to be resonance-free either, by the way.

Making that claim requires a LOT of design work that few are willing to do.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Yes the Che resonance is bad. If I am correct the cause is the two chamber design, So..... I was going to take it to the muffler shop and have them weld a tube that connects the muffler cans, like the fabspeed design.
Fabspeeds seems to be a che with a tube.

The dyno guy is out untill next week so I have to wait. However there is a unmistakable increase in speed. The motor revs much faster.

James
Fabspeed definitely uses larger inlet tubes than Che. internally, who knows, but I'd bet they're different.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Fabspeed definitely uses larger inlet tubes than Che. internally, who knows, but I'd bet they're different.
http://fabspeed.com/Boxster.html

I think people are getting stuff mixed up.Fabspeed sells multiple exhaust set ups. Althought I do not see their entire cat back set up anymore on their site.

How does their muffler have bigger inlets? I thought the diamete of the inlet piping on the muffler had to be the same as the 2nd cat's piping so the bolt clamps fit properly? (this wouldn't apply if you have the entire Fabspeed exhaust set up)
Old 09-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
http://fabspeed.com/Boxster.html

I think people are getting stuff mixed up.Fabspeed sells multiple exhaust set ups. Althought I do not see their entire cat back set up anymore on their site.

How does their muffler have bigger inlets? I thought the diamete of the inlet piping on the muffler had to be the same as the 2nd cat's piping so the bolt clamps fit properly? (this wouldn't apply if you have the entire Fabspeed exhaust set up)
They only have one muffler on their site, it's part of the cat-back system, first item on the list. Here's the quote:

""Cat-back" performance muffler system - no effect on 50 state emissions and OEM warranty."

"Fabspeed MAXFLO systems features 2.0” 50.2mm pipes that connect to a dedicated high performance muffler system. Complete Boxster dual outlet muffler with mirror show polished tips."

"all stock OEM Porsche and aftermarket Boxster mufflers Boxster use 1.5” rear inlet TUBES for filling the muffler. Therefore they are all limited in flow and power."
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #9

You may want to check out Maxspeed's new muffler. He re-designed the internals to get rid of the resonance. A PSE is the best solution, but the most expensive. I'd be willing to try it but every time I do someone else compliments me on the PSE so I hold off.

Chris
Old 09-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #10

As someone who has the FabSpeed system, I can tell you I'm quite sure it is more than just two "normal" mufflers connected by a bridge pipe. Also, realize that their system is all proprietary, and does not use the stock midpipes or equivalents (such as their own by-bass pipes). It is larger than stock, and doesn't use the U-tubes, which is why their whole thing only works as one unit.

I would be interested to see dyno charts off the Maxspeed headers, as their design looks horrible.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:22 PM   #11

Yes the design looks horriable, But after install I realized that the design is such that the headers do not get in the way of the AC lines, or the coolent lines, and just fits up there nice and tidy.
It may not be the HP gains seen with the fabspeed, but it is also 1/3 the price. I will get dyno results and post next week.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Did you notice a difference with the sound?
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:29 AM   #13

Tim, The sound is great. Huge difference. It sounds like a baby Carrera GT.

I am in Bastrop...If you want the next time I run to Austin for something I will let you know...maybe meet up somewhere and you can see/hear if you want.
I am getting the dyno this week I35/71 behind those car dealers.
James
Old 09-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #14

I'll be curious to see the dyno results, as well. I also have an '02 S with the Evo Hi-Flow, Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes and a "Pedro" modified sport muffler. I didn't do headers because of the primary cat issues and felt the gain would be negligible for the expense and possible CEL. My car has a real deep growl and screams when on throttle, especially starting at 3800 rpms. I actually wouldn't want it any louder than it is and this comes from a guy who runs headers and a Dansk sport muffler on an early 911. The nice part about the modified muffler is all the sound without the resonance and the bypass pipes really excentuate the mid tones.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:34 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Quote:
Tim, The sound is great. Huge difference. It sounds like a baby Carrera GT.

I am in Bastrop...If you want the next time I run to Austin for something I will let you know...maybe meet up somewhere and you can see/hear if you want.
I am getting the dyno this week I35/71 behind those car dealers.
James

That would be cool. Actually we should see about getting other Austin Boxster owners together for a Saturday afternoon sometime.

I just picked up the MaxSpeed Headers and Secondary Bypass Pipes from another forum member. I was going to have my shop install them with the standard OEM Muffler. I'm worried about it gettign too loud with the whole setup so I figured I'd start this way. Probably get it done next week. Can't wait!
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #16

Tim and others,

A little advise...Get new Header bolts. x 12 ($1.50 each & must be ordered from dealer) and the super high temp threadlock. I reused my bolts, I have had to retighten them daily, I have lost 4 of them on the road. I have now got the Super high temp locktight and they are staying put for now.

The thing is that 17 lbs of torque is not a lot, and the temptation to crank them down is great. I am sure someone will overtighten and strip the aluminum case threads.

Just a FYI.
James

Last edited by jhandy; 09-25-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #17

+1 on the new bolts and sealant.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote