Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #1

Engine Compartment Blower Fan / Coolant Level Question

Last Friday after work I started up my '98 Boxster, began to pull out of the parking garage and right away the red cooling system warning light began to flash.

I stopped and turned the car off, then looked to the manual; which stated to check the coolant level (which was normal). It also stated that a flashing light could indicate a fault with the engine compartment blower fan. (986 manual p. 73)

I started the car back up ~5 min later, no flashing lights. I drove the car back home, ~10 miles with no problems. I then read the codes from the OBD which came back clear.

Could the flashing coolant light have been caused by going down the parking garage ramps? Causing the coolant level to read too low…? I have been parking in the same garage for about 5 months (when I started to drive it to work) and have not seen this before.

Would a fault in the engine compartment blower fan show up as an OBD error code?

I am driving to the Midwest later this week and want to make sure the car is ready for the trip. I have not driven the car since last Friday; only stared it up in the garage at home to verify the light did not flash when the engine was running.

The car was in for an oil change three days before this incident, in preparation for the trip. The mechanic did not notice any other issues with the car.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Peter

1998 Boxster
5spd, 56K miles

pschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #2

You need to take the car for a drive of some duration... enough for it to thoroughly come up to temperature.

If no cel appears, consider it a one-time glitch.

The engine compartment fan is linked to the DME and would not in itself cause any issues for the motor. The radiator cooling fans is another story. You can also try bleeding the system by opening the coolant bleed valve and run the car, top up as necessary.

Check all relevant fuses and relays to make sure these aren't causing an issue.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #3

@Lil bastard

Thanks for the info, and quick reply!

When I get home from work today I'll take the car out for a good drive and get the engine up to temperature. I will definitely look into your other suggestions this week to help me decide on driving the Boxster or Subaru for the up coming trip.

Regards,
Peter

pschaub is offline   Reply With Quote