Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: How thoroughly do you track maintenance?
I have a folder 39 79.59%
I just pay the bill 0 0%
Somewhere in between 10 20.41%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #1

How meticulous is your maintenance?

How well do you keep track of the maintenance done to your car?

You = You, or a mechanic

I have a folder:
Do you hang on to every piece of paper and receipt that pertains to your car? Do you scrutinize the bill to see what was done and what it cost? Do you consider it a valuable tool for resale?

I just pay the bill:
Do you fix it and be on your way?

Somewhere in between:

2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #2

I keep a log book and all receipts. I do just about all my maintenance. It helps with resale (that is if I ever sell a car) and it also helps me remember what was done when.

The most useful it the log book that I write every gas fill-up in along with any oil changes, replaced parts or problems. It helps keep track of oil consumption, gas milage or a lingering problem.

just if everything else in my life was that organized.
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #3

Garage
There's a simple answer to your question; If you were going to buy a used car, would you want see and have all the receipts from all the work that was been done? Hell yes!!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I keep all my receipts in two binders. It is mostly for me, and partly for any future insurance claims (hopefully it won't be needed). I have all the reciepts, maintenance schedules, insurance, packing slips, contact information, etc.
I always know what I need get done when it comes to maintenance so that I don't ripped off by the stealership.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I have a 3inch notebook with all documents 3 hole punched and put in date order. EVERYTHING ever done to my car in the last 6.5 years is in there and in date order.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I have a standard business size envelope that I have all paperwork on my car in order from date.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:14 AM   #7

I hang on to everything, the problem is I tend not to actually put it in a folder. So I have invoices scattered about in the garage.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #8

I have a very, very thick folder.......

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:34 AM   #9
FTD

I have a file folder that I drop receipts in. I log the oil changes and other self maintenance, although it might take me a while to get around to logging it. I put a date and mileage in my head and hope I remember it when I finally write it in. So, its all documented in some fashion. I do not document fill ups and mileage. My older sister keeps a binder and tracks quantity, price, and mpg with each fill up. Yikes!
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:43 AM   #10

My thick folder has every receipt down to the tools from Sears and NAPA, usually purchased when half way through a repair. As for dating maintenance I take the implicit approach. When did I do the brake flush? Here's the power bleeder receipt. Oil change? Oh look, a receipt for 10 quarts of Mobile 1. I don't write down exact mileage for these things but being a daily driver I can extrapolate from dates of the 15k services.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #11

I have a binder that I keep everything in - bill of sale, options list, and all receipts. Sometimes I open it just to laugh at how many pages there are after only 25 months of ownership - haha! It should help if I trade it in or sell it on in the future. I'm sure the next owner will appreciate it.
Arctic Silver /Black interior
Desnorkled then REsnorkled (planning on Revo flash & prob B&B Exhaust)
mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #12

I'm VERY meticulous about the work. I did the 60,000 service at 40,000 miles just to make me feel better. I'll still probably do the 60,000 mile service when it's due, except for the spark plugs (I'll just check and gap those). When you do your own work it's much more affordable (and fun), so you can be more meticulous.

As for record keeping... well I haven't done such a great job in keeping my receipts for the parts I buy. I know I should do that though. I just recently bought a notebook to keep in the garage so that I can track everything I do with note taking. It's already helping.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:26 AM   #13

I log all maintenance performed and all mods done w/ dates, receipts, notes.

I also log very fill-up w/ date, Odo, Fuel Type, mileage, price and mpg.

I have a 3-ring binder for the maint./mods, and a road diary (kept in the car) for the fuel service.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
all papers in a section of files in the file cabinet next to my desk - since day1
PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:32 AM   #15
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I keep a log of all of my cars and yard equipment on a clip board in the garage.

All receipts are kept in the owners manual case of each vehicle.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #16

I have all maintenance done at the dealer, on all our cars, and keep every receipt in the owner's manual folder. I keep the owners manuals in a file cabinet, as they are only really reference material after you've memorized them upon delivery.
No, seriously, after you have learned how all the trinkets work, do you ever look at your manual again, except for possibly a maintenance schedule check? The original owners manual folder is very heavy duty, always fits well in the glove box, since it was designed for it, and is always there to stick that receipt in, as soon as you get it.
I've found, in my more mature years, that the dealer really isn't that much more expensive than indies and it is ALWAYS the preferred place of possible buyers and IS NEVER QUESTIONED when you trade the car to another dealer. When you trade the car to the dealer where you bought it AND had every single oil change and maintenance done, those few hundred extra dollars are the GOLD STANDARD for trade in value because that dealer now has a used car to move that has a GOLD STANDARD history of maintenance, as wellas a great testimonial for their service department, and you all know what that would be worth to you, if you were sitting in my black boxster, dreaming of making it yours.
If you're lucky, the salesman will tell you what I traded it on.
Mine was the original customer's first Porsche and he traded it on a 997 after 9 months and 10,650 miles. He then traded the 997 after 7 months and 9k miles on a Cayman S.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I voted somewhere in between because I know there are people who are more meticulous than I am. I think my mom still writes her mileage in a little book every time she buys gas.

I just get it done, take the receipt and keep it in a file marked "car." I keep copies of everything pertaining to my car as long as I have it. I usually will give it to my dad to look over to make sure everything looks right though.

Oh, and Quickurt, I keep my owner's manual in my car. And yes, I have looked at it again a few times with various cars. It's usually for when a warning light comes on I've never seen before.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:07 AM   #18
bmussatti

Being in the market for a used and older Turbo (1996 or 1997 993TT) I can tell you first-hand that owners who keep detailed records, receipts, and files is very impressive and would command a premium price in the current market dynamics.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
I voted somewhere in between because I know there are people who are more meticulous than I am. I think my mom still writes her mileage in a little book every time she buys gas.

I just get it done, take the receipt and keep it in a file marked "car." I keep copies of everything pertaining to my car as long as I have it. I usually will give it to my dad to look over to make sure everything looks right though.

Oh, and Quickurt, I keep my owner's manual in my car. And yes, I have looked at it again a few times with various cars. It's usually for when a warning light comes on I've never seen before.
Warnings (lights, etc.) are the first thing I make sure I understand when I get a new car.
The Boxster has more info coming on the screen than I have seen in another car. I guess Wifey was sitting in the seat wrong yesterday, as a warning came on the screen to check passenger seat position. I told her to sit up straight and make sure the seat belt was snug. The warning went off. So Porsche monitors posture?
Old 09-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #20
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
Wifey was sitting in the seat wrong yesterday, as a warning came on the screen to check passenger seat position. I told her to sit up straight and make sure the seat belt was snug. The warning went off. So Porsche monitors posture?
Hey, what the heck were you 2 doing? In some States, that's against the law! Maybe even worse than 13 MPH over.