Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #1

Issues with Header install

I picked up those cheap chinese headers on ebay awhile back. Since a forum member asked here is my take on them:

The quality and build of the headers are really nice, especially considering the price. the fit is fine, however the headers are much bigger than stock so the stick out under the car more than the stockers. The car also has plastics that cover the stock headers from underneath the car, my plastics are pushed out a bit now because the headers are so much bigger. With my lowered car I sometimes rub the plastic piece over ramps. It doesn't affect anything though. I may take the time one day to cut out the plastic around the headers though.

As for power, I don't notice any gains and I feel that I actually lost some low end torque.

Buy them only if you want a difference in sound. I can't say that I love the sound but it is different and seems to be better.

Word of caution. after I had these installed I had a problem with a burst power steering hose. At first it looked like the larger headers are too close to the lines. This cost me $700 to fix/replace. I tried to blame my installer for not moving the lines further away from the headers and tieing them up but in the end he said that Porsche had redesigned that part a few times to correct the problems. Unfortunate coincidence? I don't know but it was costly.

If you do install the headers, I suggest wrapping some heat shielding around the steering line and maybe zip tieing them further away from the headers as a precaution.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to take pictures.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Its not really a "ebay header only" problem. most all headers for the boxster come close to the power steering pressure line, Only thing you can do is tie wrap the line out of the way.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #3

Porsche changed the design of the power steering hose so now it no longer is in the way. I learned the hard way as mine did go and caught fire. Luckily we got it out stat and there was no other damage. Now it is no where near the headers.

I bought the MaxSpeed headers and have been happy with them.
Chris
Old 09-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwind
Porsche changed the design of the power steering hose so now it no longer is in the way. I learned the hard way as mine did go and caught fire. Luckily we got it out stat and there was no other damage. Now it is no where near the headers.

I bought the MaxSpeed headers and have been happy with them.
Chris
Remember that headers get white hot when running the car hard so it is a really good idea to get your car up on a lift and make sure that nothing remotely flammable (hoses, plastic panels etc.) gets closer than 1" or so to those bad boys. Having your shiny sports car burn to the ground sucks. Many have learned this the hard way.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #5

that stinks to hear that you went through the hassle of buying and installing headers, only to find it made NO power and then burned up $700 worth of power steering lines...

makes me want to stay AWAY from headers on my 2.7....
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #6

+1 on the maxspeed headers. They are made not to get in the way and they only cost 800. They also cone with a 100 cell cat converter. Not to pour salt in a wound but you could have just got those. You may be able to claim it on you auto insurance, maybe.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #7

really? Nothing on the butt dyno at all?
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #8

It has been nearly a year from the install so I don't recall the difference in feel. However, the headers I have are the same (under a different name) that Randall installed and he has before and after dyno's that do show an improvement.
Chris
Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #9

I had the same issues with my s-car-go headers. I put them on fast, they sounded great and all that. I frequently beat the hell out of my car on one curvy road by my house. I got to a stop sign and noticed smoke from behind my car and then noticed flames..... I melted my power stearing line and the fluid caught. I turned the car off and thought the worst. lucky the fire went out when I shut the car down. had to replace the line at the dealer 900 bux and that was it. I got lucky. Zip tie the crap out of the P/S line out of the way...

My .02

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote