Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 05:30 AM   #1

Question Radio amplifier to be installed

Guys;

Just buy an amplifier for ma car radio that is an Alpine one, not the original one. My car is a 2003 Boxster base. I did remove the stock amplifier. Any body can confirm speakers wiring color code at the amplifier BIG plug?

Tks!

Upgrades so far: 4 Stalks installed,OBC, Cruise Control, Variable wipers, Rear speakers, Alpine CDEHD149BT deck, Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amplifier, Blaupunkt THb 200A pre-amplified subwoofer, XM radio integration, 997 shifter, front motor mount, LN Engineering IMS upgrade and much more.
tolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #2

did you hook up the Alpine unit to the stock amp? Curious as to how you did that b/c the '03+ MY have the MOST fiber optic connection b/w the h/u and amp.

Anyhow, your making the right call to upgrade both the h/u and amp. A search in the archives will yield all the info you need... try speaker install or amp install. Let us know how you do/make out
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
did you hook up the Alpine unit to the stock amp? Curious as to how you did that b/c the '03+ MY have the MOST fiber optic connection b/w the h/u and amp.

Anyhow, your making the right call to upgrade both the h/u and amp. A search in the archives will yield all the info you need... try speaker install or amp install. Let us know how you do/make out
I'm not keeping the existing amp. I did buy a new one that's why I'm asking for existing wires color VS speakers (+/-) to plug it on my new amp.

Thierry
Upgrades so far: 4 Stalks installed,OBC, Cruise Control, Variable wipers, Rear speakers, Alpine CDEHD149BT deck, Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amplifier, Blaupunkt THb 200A pre-amplified subwoofer, XM radio integration, 997 shifter, front motor mount, LN Engineering IMS upgrade and much more.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #4

You cannot plug in the stock head unit to your new amp in an 03-up car. You CAN replace the head unit and amp, and then wire that to the stock speakers, or (better) wire the new amp to upgraded speakers.

As has been said, "search" is your friend

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #5

Wiring

Tolum,
Here's a repost of the Amp wiring. Keep in mind this is for my 2001 S, so it may be different on your car!

When you unplug the stock amp there are 2 connectors. The big fat one is the one to the speakers that you'll end up cutting. The smaller one with thin wires is the one that feeds the sound into the amp. Here's the wiring colors for the thicker wires on the fat black connector

Striped wires are negative.

Right dash speaker
Red = positive
Red and brown = negative

Left dash speaker
Yellow = positive
Yellow and brown = negative

Sub door speaker (I think this is the right side but might have this reversed)
Brown = positive
Brown and Green = Negative

Left door sub (again might have this reversed with the right)
Purple = positive
Purple / brown = negative

solid brown is the ground (don't need this but could use this if you wanted to ground the new amp)
Blue is the switch wire

I'm assuming that you don't have the optical audio system.
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #6

I have to split my budget a little bit. Am I better to start by adding a sub or an amplifier? What would be the first step?

Tks!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #7

I added the door subs first because it was the largest effort and the stock amp can push them. The stereo should sound better with the new subs and great with the new amp. I agree, take it in steps as the budget permits...

Good luck,

-Steve
Pyramid 4 channel amp
Old 04-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #8

Hi all new ere

Someone has taken sissors to my wiring loom at some point as i decided to swap the standard cd player for a ripspeed dv710 dvd player/stereo , i need help folks as i havent a clue what colours do what in behind the stereo , more so on the side of the wires that go back to the amp.

Any help is really appreciated & thankyou in advance
sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #9

Sorry i forgot to add that my Porsche is a 2000 Porsche Boxster 3.2s

thnx
Old 04-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #10

amp

Help me understand what's not clear in the list that's below? I posted the amp wiring a while back and it worked for me.

-Steve
Pyramid 4 channel amp
Old 04-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowndad
Tolum,
Here's a repost of the Amp wiring. Keep in mind this is for my 2001 S, so it may be different on your car!

When you unplug the stock amp there are 2 connectors. The big fat one is the one to the speakers that you'll end up cutting. The smaller one with thin wires is the one that feeds the sound into the amp. Here's the wiring colors for the thicker wires on the fat black connector

Striped wires are negative.

Right dash speaker
Red = positive
Red and brown = negative

Left dash speaker
Yellow = positive
Yellow and brown = negative

Sub door speaker (I think this is the right side but might have this reversed)
Brown = positive
Brown and Green = Negative

Left door sub (again might have this reversed with the right)
Purple = positive
Purple / brown = negative

solid brown is the ground (don't need this but could use this if you wanted to ground the new amp)
Blue is the switch wire

I'm assuming that you don't have the optical audio system.
Hi yep it may be me being stupid , but im a little nervous about the wiring now after seeing so many

In behind my dash (radio related wires) i have the 8 speaker wires to one side and the antenna socket , im left with a single white wire and a bluey coloured wire then there are 2 black coastings covering a/ the wires that goto the blue plug and then like a twing cable with a red and a yellow wire and a brown wire.

I have full function on the dvd but no sound from the speakers , when i try to connect these nothing happens so i am assuming that this is due to the amp (?????) , but i am unsure where to conect these on the inside end of the wires (not under the front boot) my Boxster has only 4 speakers 2 dash , 2 door.

thnx in advance , if it would help i can tomorrow take a photo of what i mean
Old 04-07-2010, 03:22 AM   #12

phew i sussed it , the wire was the blk/red one that was stumping me