Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Sterep receiver

I could use your guys advice. I'm tired of the CR-220 receiver on my ride and am too lasy to go to the trunk to change CDs every time I drive. I'm taking suggestions;

-MUST MATCH THE OEM ORANGE LIGHTS

-MUST BE SINGLE SLOT

-CAN'T BE OVER $500

-PERFORMANCE ISN'T MUCH OF AN ISSUE,AS LONG AS IT SOUNDS AS GOOD AS THE OEM STUFF(which I imagine isn't hard to match)

Does anyone know how hard it is to connect the head unit to the OEM DSP unit? Can it be done?

This is what I've found so far

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BLAUPUNKT-CAR-CD-MP3-BLUETOOTH-PLAYER-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ280258943048QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3 9754QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks

Old 08-31-2008, 04:55 AM   #2

If you want to stay with the orange color lights, you are limiting yourself. I purchased a Pioneer with included XM satellite radio, USB attachment and the rear speaker package. The sound is great and the total cost with professional installation was about $650. Without the rear speakers, the cost was only $400 installed.

The faceplate has the newer blue lighting, but it doesn't bother me much. I am thinking about changing all the lighting to the blue on the boxster when I get around to it. The bulbs are only about $20, but I think installation would be about $200-300 for all the lights.

Check Crutchfield for good prices and selection, including local installation.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:38 AM   #3

What are your specific dislikes with the CDR-220?

If you are just tired of changing CD's in the trunk, consider adding iPod integration. Here's an adapter that works well: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993

I found the best investments I made in my Boxster's sound were:

1. Add rear speakers (I have the Harvey PNP kit)
2. Upgrade dash speakers
3. Swap the stock 4 channel amp for a 6 channel amp from a 996

I eventually sold my CDR-220 and installed a Becker Traffic Pro. I don't think that affected the sound quality.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #4

It's not that I dislike my CR-220,it doesn't have a CD player. I wouldn't mind a CDR-220 if the price is right though.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Blink,
If it were me I wouldn't try to match Becker components with anything else. Weak amps, lousy speakers, weird impedance's, weird connectors, lame radio. I actually think the OEM radio in my 63 Chevy Nova sounded better.

So start over, clean slate. Find an Alpine or Blau. head you like and match it with quality speakers after listening to them and you will open up a whole new world.

Last edited by Topless; 08-31-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #6

That's not an option for me. I've tinkered with the stereo equipment on my old 99' and once it starts it doesn't stop. My 01' has almost every option stereo wise;dsp,rear speakers,hi fi,cd changer and I dont think it sounds bad,but by no means is it something I'd show off.

All I want to do it get a headunit that plays CDs and has an orange illuminated screen.

Anyone have a CDR-220 for sell?
Old 08-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Anyone have a CDR-220 for sell?
Here's one: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21897

His price is a little high.

Sorry I missed that you had the CR-220 when I posted my first response.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #8

If you're looking for orange lights, there are a few out there you can try.
  • All three of the Eclipse models will do light orange lights on the buttons, though the display panel is still blue and white.
  • Alpine has a couple that do orange, though it is a darker orange. Look at the 9887 and 9886 I think. The display panel is black & white though.
  • Clarion has the DXZ785USB which I believe has almost a limitless color selection. You should be able to match it. The display panel matches the button light color.
  • Panasonic made one last year that did a dark orange (almost red) though I don't know the model.

I'm going through the same thing with my Pontiac. I've narrowed it down to the Clarion or the Eclipse CD3200.

Last edited by Mike_Yi; 09-03-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote