Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #1

need help asap! Stuck on the freeway

my car is fireing off a smoke from the exhaust.

I was driving and all of a sudden white smoke started to come out from the back. Pulled over when I hit the throttle pure white smoke that smells sweet comes out the tail pipes. Anyone know what it is????

619-813-4683

*youth is wasted on the young*

Photos of my Boxster S

Painted center console, artic silver
, De Snorkle, 18" Carrera lightweight - 285-30-18 - Fabspeed Exhaust

http://www.cristopherbenitah.com/boxster.jpg
cbenitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #2

Sweet smelling smoke? Coolant is getting into the engine where it shouldn't.

Could be a failed cylinder head gasket... could be impending catastrophic failure, something like a slipped cylinder sleeve.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #3

car is now towed. I called my go to guy and he said 99% it's the AOS. I think. Anyone had this issue?

Photos of my Boxster S

Old 08-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #4

Air/Oil separator I'll pick one up today from Newport Beach Porsche and be out cleaning the oil from the exhaust by 4pm.

If anyone ends up with this same issue: stick your hand into the "smoke" coming out the exhaust, then smell it. Oil smoke smells a LOT different than coolant "haze". When the AOS fails, the car will still run "ok".. when the head gasket fails.. the car will run like crap because that one cylinder is not firing. You can also peel back the carpet and see air bubbles being pushed into the water reservoir.

I stick a rubber glove over the oil filler (cap off) to check the AOS and breather system. If it sucks the glove in.. it is AOS.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #5

haha good to see you on here B. Thanks for explaining! I will call you when the tow is close.

Photos of my Boxster S

Old 08-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #6

I joined back in 2004 Before Bruce Lee took over, I was offered this site

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #7

Nice.. That would have been a lot LOL. Well I'm glad to see you back here now I have another place I can pm you!! I'm taking a break at in n out for now. It should be an exciting weekend if the 914 gets on the road. It should almost have the same color scheme as the boxster.

Photos of my Boxster S

Old 08-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #8

I thought AOS after I posted. Easy fix.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #9

Fray,

do you know Eric Shaffer in Austin?? He is a 944Turbo guy who bought a Boxster recently to race with PCA in BoxsterSpec

B
Old 08-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #10

BTW, I love the red rims on the black car - never would have thought of that color option. What make are the rims?

-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #11

964 Cup wheels Fairly easy and inexpensive to come by Craigslist NorCal has multiple sets right now for sale. The car has 275's on the rear and 255's on the front in that shot. With 4mm spacers in the rear. and Hoosiers measure big

B

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 08-30-2008 at 01:44 PM.