Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #1

A Solara tried to race me...

First off, I do not race... in any way shape or form. Time to time I do like to corner fast, etc etc.
Anyway, there's a expressway entry on my way to work that has a two lane left turn at a stop light. Immediately after the left turn the lanes merge. Okay, so I'm in the left of the two lanes (first at the light) and the Solara is in the right lane. It's a white car with blacked out windows... he's gearing up and getting ready to time the light. The light turns green and his tires squeal... I just take off a little bit faster than normal. He's trying to out run, and out corner me from the outside, with a Solara... You all know what happened... I waived to him through the back window as I entered the twisty turns to the expressway.
Normally I would not do something like that... but some people need to learn respect of the Porsche brand.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #2

should have saved your gas
Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #3

I generally let someone jump in front, but he has to be serious about it. Last thing I need is someone cutting me off, then slowing down. Man, I hate that.

But if someone really wants to go fast and cut off a porsche, I'll let him if he's willing to punch it as hard as possible. It's fun watching them struggle when my foot is sitting over half a pedal of instant torque.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to REDBXSTR
Was some immature kid who did not know better.
19" Boxster S Sport Wheels, Preferred Package Plus-S, PASM, Bi-Xenon Headlamps.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I probably would've done the same thing.

Not too long ago a guy in a Totota MR2 (the one that looks like a boxster) tried to race me from a stoplight. I did the same thing you did. LOL

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I probably would have done the same thing. I don't street race, but there is no law against accelerating quickly. So depending on my mood I may just hang back, or leave them in my dust.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I probably would have done the same thing. I don't street race, but there is no law against accelerating quickly. So depending on my mood I may just hang back, or leave them in my dust.
You can be cited for 'excessive acceleration' in some states.

About learning to respect the Porsche brand... you do realize that a current model Camry V6 (hell, even a Rav4) is neck and neck with base 986 as far as acceleration is concerned, right?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #8

From time to time this happens to me too. Usually V6 Mustangs, but virtually the same scenario.

I'm always thinking, "Does the person want to see if their car is as fast as mine, or are they just needling me to nail it and provide a quick show of speed and performance?"

Porsches are just not that great off the line unless you've got this little badge on the back of your car...
Old 08-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
FTD

I was on the highway once, in a disappearing left lane, and sped up to get in front and over, and a big honking F350 gassed it to 'race' me. It was funny. I had plenty of lane left so it wasn't malicious. I just think its funny how truck lovers LOVE their trucks. It was like a mansion dueling with a dog house.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #10

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson
You can be cited for 'excessive acceleration' in some states.

About learning to respect the Porsche brand... you do realize that a current model Camry V6 (hell, even a Rav4) is neck and neck with base 986 as far as acceleration is concerned, right?
True. You guys do realize that Boxsters certainly aren't the fastest cars out there, right ? Now cornering and handling, that's a different story.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #11

That's what I was getting at... it's an immediate left turn. you might have 5' before you need to start turning. So basically the Boxster is one of the best cars for it. Like I said I do not race at all. I like to corner. This just happens to be a stoplight at a corner with two lane turning. If I see the guy again, which I'm sure I will, I'll act the part then just go really slow. The best thing about my commute is that I'm not the fastest or the slowest on the road. I average 80mph... there's guys out there that will run you over if you are only going 80mph. Its crazy. The cops are NEVER out during the morning or afternoon rush. I think they know traffice moves better... and most of us on the roads at that time are semi-professional drivers/commuters. you should see the number of cops out there during off times... 11am-2pm... weekends. I came home early today for a sick kid and I saw three cops one was on a bike and clocking people. I knew better though because it was off hours. I was only going 70mph.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboxster
True. You guys do realize that Boxsters certainly aren't the fastest cars out there, right ? Now cornering and handling, that's a different story.
This is true (and one of the reasons I like the car)... but in a 'turn the wheel a little and floor' it on ramp situation, you'd be surprised what you have trouble keeping up with. Throw in some actual fun twisties, then yeah. Boxster all the way.

Last edited by Samson; 08-27-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #13

Maybe the guy was just having a little fun - who knows. Maybe he wasn't trying to prove anything. Maybe he thought it would be funny to provoke you like that – I joked like that with a few muscle cars when I drove a beat-up old Mirage. If you didn't see the guy's face through the blacked out windows, you might not have read his intentions correctly.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Old 08-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #14

I dusted a Boxster S in my Mazda 6 Sedan on an empty expresway once. Suprised the hell out of the guy driving the "respected" Porsche brand as he tried like mad to catch me. Porsches make terrible dragsters. He learned quickly to respect the Zoom Zoom Zoom.

Even beat the pants off a bunch of Boxsters this past weekend in the Mazda 6 at an AX and couple of them were on race tires. ...I dont know, Boxsters seem fairly slow to me? Only Boxster that really gave me trouble was a fast 3.4 conversion car on big fat DOT race tires. I was on skinny street tires in a 3600 lb sedan.

My tip to you is to not race well made Japanese cars as you'll likely lose or break your car trying to keep up.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #15

Ummm, what? Hmmm, Mazda 6... oh, is this a knock knock joke

Okay, who's there?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #16

He probably meant a Mazdaspeed6. To be honest its got 274 HP and 280 lb-ft of torque at 3000 RPM and a 0-60 time of 5.7 seconds. Not too shaby for an economical and reliable family sedan.

I remember the second day after my wife drove her new BMW 335XI of the lot. She got beat by surprise by some young punk in a Mazdaspeed6 (she wasn't really trying to race him) and was so embarassed that she got mad at me for not suggesting that she get an M3!

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
Old 08-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #17
EE3racing

In the old school 986's it's all about gear choice, stay in fourth at normal 55 highway speed and the acceleration is pretty damn good. Occasionally my local detective cousin will ride along and encourage me to pass the racing punk perps for a closer look, who am I to disregard a direct request from the local law enforcement?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by angman
He probably meant a Mazdaspeed6. To be honest its got 274 HP and 280 lb-ft of torque at 3000 RPM and a 0-60 time of 5.7 seconds. Not too shaby for an economical and reliable family sedan.
Yeah its a MazdaSpeed 6 and its a torque monster! There arent many cars that can beat my MS6 off the line in 1st gear. With a couple cheap bolt ons they make over 300 HP. Power comes on very low around 2800 RPM and pulls with freight train like torque until about 6000 RPM. Many stockish MS6's pulling low 13 quarter mile times and slightly modified cars getting into 12's.

I had custom double adjustable Koni racing tubes made into coilovers for the car but kept ride height near stock so it looks like a regular sedan. Its the ultimate sleeper. It will out pull most cars in low RPM's and it handles almost as good as my stock Boxster. I'm always amazed at how well it does in AX being a 3650 lb car. Theres something devilishly fun about beating Porsches on race tires in a family sedan on street tires.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsfo
Yeah its a MazdaSpeed 6 and its a torque monster! There arent many cars that can beat my MS6 off the line in 1st gear. .
Considering the car is front wheel drive I question that statement.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #20

If someone tries to race me, I just laugh, turn up my Steven Ray Vaughan, and roll off.... :dance:

Closed Thread