986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Flashing CEL, Misfire, O2 Sensors.... HELP! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/18062-flashing-cel-misfire-o2-sensors-help.html)

P-51 Mustang 08-28-2008 07:44 AM

Flashing CEL, Misfire, O2 Sensors.... HELP!

I have a 1998 Boxster with 80k miles on it, I just got the car and it was running fine before I got it but, it had the CEL on. I plugged up my obd2 to get the codes and found 14 of them.... Since it was running fine I just cleared the codes. After this I tried to start the car and it idles horribly and will sometimes just die.. the CEL is back on and sometimes at idle it will flash when I rev it up a little it cleans up and runs fine but Idle is horrible.... I took the intake apart from the air box to the throttle body and cleaned it out. There was trash all in the throttle body and intake manifold, but I cleaned it all out and sprayed the MAF with cleaner and it is spotless now. That didnt work at all though it still runs horribly. Here are the codes I am getting.

P0130 Oxygen Sensor Ahead of Catalytic Converter (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Intercore Short Circuit or Limited

P0150 Oxygen Sensor Ahead of Catalytic Converter (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Intercore Short Circuit or Limited

P0140 Oxygen Sensor After Catalytic Converter (cylinders 1 - 3) - Interruption of Signal

P0160 Oxygen Sensor After Catalytic Converter (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Interruption of Signal

P0300 Misfire Damaging to Catalytic Converter

P0301 Misfire, Cylinder 1, Damaging to Catalytic Converter

P0302 Misfire, Cylinder 2, Damaging to Catalytic Converter

P0303 Misfire, Cylinder 3, Damaging to Catalytic Converter

P0304 Misfire, Cylinder 4, Damaging to Catalytic Converter

P0305 Misfire, Cylinder 5, Damaging to Catalytic Converter

P0306 Misfire, Cylinder 6, Damaging to Catalytic Converter

P1314 Misfire, Cylinder 2, Emission Relevant

P1117 Oxygen Sensor Heating 1 After Catalytic Converter - Below Lower Limit

I dont know what to do about this or what the problem could be. Please help! Thanks!!!

ChrisZang 08-28-2008 08:02 AM

I am by no means a Porsche mechanic but IF my car would throw all these codes I would immediately put it on a flatbed truck and have it towed to the next Porsche mechanic. At no means I would START the engine again

KevinH1990 08-28-2008 08:09 AM

I agree with Chris.

I had similar symptoms and it turned out to be the MAF. (I know you cleaned yours, but it may need replacement.)

The technician who reparied my car told me if the MAF is not working properly, it can send unburned fuel to the catalytic convertors. This can damage the convertors and possibly cause a fire.

Lil bastard 08-28-2008 08:26 AM

Cleaning the MAF has about a 50/50 sucess rate, especially over time.

A Flashig CEL is a BIG No-No, don't run the car 'til you get it sorted, only more expensive if you do.

Probably just need to replace the MAF, but maybe O2 sensors too.

ekam 08-28-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-51 Mustang
Since it was running fine I just cleared the codes.

You think the computer throw a CEL just for fun? :confused:

Looking at your username I sure hope you're not a pilot.

unklekraker 08-28-2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam
You think the computer throw a CEL just for fun? :confused:

Looking at your username I sure hope you're not a pilot.

flashing light "Cabin pressure low and Eng. 1 loosing power"....

where' is that darn switch? ahhh, there it is..."Switch to Off" :D :D :D

really, i sure hope youre not a pilot...hehehehehe!

Topless 08-28-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang
I am by no means a Porsche mechanic but IF my car would throw all these codes I would immediately put it on a flatbed truck and have it towed to the next Porsche mechanic. At no means I would START the engine again

Confirmed. This is not a DIY fix.