Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #21

How durable would it be over time, after repeated washings, sun fade/shrinking, scratching, etc.

What would it do to the paint underneath, aside from non-equal paint fade witrh the rest of the car?

Those may be things to consider.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #22

Vinyl Wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
How durable would it be over time, after repeated washings, sun fade/shrinking, scratching, etc.

What would it do to the paint underneath, aside from non-equal paint fade witrh the rest of the car?

Those may be things to consider.
I am in he business of vinyl wraps and I would also recommend to be careful with vinyl wraps, full or partial. Make sure the installer is using good products: 3M, MacTac on full wraps and probably Oracal on cut vinyl. Ideally you want the vinyl to be laminated to increase longevity and you want to avoid pressure washing against the seams. finally and most importantly, no vinyl on suspect paint areas (road-rashed...) and EXPECT TO REMOVE THE FINAL AFTER 3 YEARS max!!!
We just removed a full wrap done 4 years ago on an Avalanche and we are now waiting for the claim adjuster to come and estimate the damages due to the poor paint job which lifted off with the vinyl... not pretty...

I am contemplating a full wrap for my 986 but I will probably go for something more Racing oriented like the paint job on the attached pictures... still working on the design though.

Good luck with the project!

Mike
986FortyEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #23

Less is more....

I'm a big fan of the phrase "less is more" meaning sometimes you can make MORE of a good piece of art by doing less and not overdoing it. So yes, your car is an extension of your self expression and your personal artwork in the form of a bad ass sports car. That's what turned me on to my red racing spears. First started with the Porsche 550 Spyder and then still used today by RUF in their RK Spyder version. These lines look great and compliment the car.

By the way, my vinyl graphics have been on for 3 years and still look brand new. Keep in mind to buy Premium Gloss Finished Vinyl and to use a good car wax when washing your car. Yes, you can put wax on the vinyl. Maybe that's why mine held up so well. My Boxster is also garage kept but I use a high pressure self service washer every time with no problems.

Here is the 987 car that inspired me by RUF.

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote