Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #1

What's the problem with amber?

It seems like the majority of forum members are anti-amber. When individualizing your cars, most members choose to de-amber when possible. I don't get it. I like the contrast with the amber on my black boxster, especially at night when the lights are on. I don't think it makes the car look older. So for me, the amber stays. I am interested in why so many members de-amber.

Eric

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:21 AM   #2
EE3racing

Of course it's a personal decision. I think the front with amber looks like HR Puffinstuff's giant eyes. It's also my opinion that the litronics look way cooler, they work much better for lighting as well.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:40 AM   #3

Some of the broad dislike of amber has to do with the fact that the orange plastic was used in the 90's and clear plastic is used in younger cars. De-ambering makes the car look far younger in particular and in general.

I wanted a 2003 S when I bought my beat up old 1997. De ambering the tail lamps, side markers and upgrading to litronics (xenons) made the car look far, far newer.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:04 AM   #4

The amber looks best on a black car, however, the current trend is to have as little amber on the car as possible. Therefore just by default yours looks a little dated, don't get me wrong you have a beautiful 986 and ultimately I would do what you like best. The amber looks good on black except on the front headlights where the Litronics definitely much better. I deambered mine and upgraded the tail lights and my boxster instantly looked 5 years newer.

Personally I think my car looks much better deambered, but then again it is just my personal taste. Do what you like!

Last edited by Wingnut2u; 08-10-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Wingnut2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:36 AM   #5

i can see both sides to this topic.... i would like to de amber mine, but then when you come to sell it the car cant be classed as original so you are closing down your market for people who dont want other peoples taste.............. but on the other hand i think as stated by others that the car looks years younger with the clear version.........either way "we drive porsches " cant get better than that
kegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:19 AM   #6

As others have said, amber looks older. It contrasts, or maybe "clashes" is a better word, a bit too sharply with the car's color for many people's taste. I think there are several colors that are an exception to this statement; red, yellow, and possibly that aqua-blue. Black looks satisfactory with amber, but it looks tougher with the smoked lights.

Even on the smoked lights, when the lights are on they illuminate amber.

Plus, with the exception of headlights, it's a relatively cheap and easy to do mod. Even if you prefer amber, I think the red/clear tail lights make such a significant difference in the appearance of the 986/7.

Non-amber lights are/were available from Porsche, so could it still be considered original kegman?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:02 AM   #7

WingNut- is that the front bumper from 986 Design or whoever it is that I see on various websites and eBay? Same for the skirts and what looks like rear valance?

As to de-ambering, I would agree it is simply an updated look. Litronics will make your car look 5 years newer, and you'll enjoy the significantly improved lighting at night.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #8

bmwm750 - front bumper is Caracter from xtrememotorcars on ebay, sideskirts are Techart from LLtek and rear is Gemballa from 911ava(Gemballa North America) on ebay. It's a mutt body kit but it worked.

Litronics are a must upgrade in my opinion, by the far the best bang for the buck
Old 08-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #9

I am with the original post. I like the "fried egg look" as one poster called it. Maybe its a black car thing. I am keeping the amber. As I keep telling my kids, "There is nothing wrong with older."
Old 08-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #10

Garage
I also think it's personal taste. With my Box being red (that sounds nasty) the smoked lens look better. I also like the Euro look, the amber lens, I believe, are a U.S. DOT mandate. Any time you can get one against the establishment, right?

Also, Wingnut2u...

I love the pictures of you car, that ******************** looks bad ass!!

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 08-09-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #11

I think the amber looks O.K. against my blue car, but I really want to de amber. However, I think it looks silly if you de-amber in pieces. When/if I do it I want to do it all at once... Personal opinion of course

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #12

If you have stock litronics, ditch the ambers and go clear oem. Just looks so much better.

I did save my old ambers for the next owner, but I doubt they would want them.
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #13

I like my amber but like it's been mentioned, my car is black too..
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #14

Seal gray with black mesh 19's, chrome rolled lip. Rolling the HB as a proud member of the Amber Army.
HB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
If you have stock litronics, ditch the ambers and go clear oem. Just looks so much better.
Yeah. Then give the amber litronics to me.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:27 AM   #16

My car is white and I dont mind the amber at all. All personal preferences.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:31 AM   #17

I bought my used '02 with a few mods already done to it, de-ambering was one of them. Never really had given it a thought until I started noticing other Boxsters with the amber lenses lol. Like amber or not, it's funny how something so small can really change the look of a car.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:38 AM   #18

Wink

I'm with GMBoxter. I kinda like the amber on white. My first car, a '48 Renault 4CV, had amber headlights, which I thought looked pretty cool then. Probably still do.

[IMG]986 11/07.jpg[/IMG]
2003 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton, White/ Black
2006 Mini Cooper S Silver Grey/Black
1972 Chance HOP ROD, red /w Yellow handlebar
wifesmainwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
Yeah. Then give the amber litronics to me.
No such animal as amber litronics. All factory cars equipped with litronics include the headlight washers and are clear / partial smoke lenses which made me want to upgrade.

My car is red so once I changed over to the oem smoked side markers and clear tailights, it really made it look great.

If you have standard halogens with amber, then I might just stay amber, but with litronics, it's a natural transition to go on with the euro lenses. Very classy looking in my opinion.

Last edited by jwade; 08-10-2008 at 11:28 AM.
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #20

I have a silver 1997 and the amber never bothered me. It does look a bit odd on a speed yellow.

When the clear tail lights came out for model year 2003 everyone wanted them, but back then it was hard to get the US version. I have a friend in Germany that does work for Porsche and he got the US version clear lights for me and sent them via DHL as "samples."

Never put them in. Stayed in a box in my garage. Still had my amber headlights and side markers. Thought about selling the clear tail lights.

Then I got backed up into by a truck, and broke my amber headlights. I took this as a sign from the Porsche god it was time to deamber.

I told the body shop not to replace the headlights. Shop gave me about $850 for the lights that were not replaced. Borrowed amber headlights from a friend who switched to litronics for a few months earlier, while I looked for cheap 996 clear headlights.

I found 996 clear headlights for $300 and the side markers were $30. The tail lights were free.

If it was not for the accident I would still be amber.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote