986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New Boxster owner (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/17703-new-boxster-owner.html)

Mike_Yi 07-28-2008 11:17 AM

New Boxster owner

Hi guys. I've posted a couple of times, but I just bought my first Boxster, which is also my first Porsche last Saturday. It's a '99 with 46k miles and it's pretty bare bones except for the 18" wheels (which I love). It's in pretty good shape for its age and mileage. It's getting its 45k maintenance as I type this. Here's two pics.

http://www.yippee38.net/images/Boxster/P1000263.jpg
http://www.yippee38.net/images/Boxster/P1000272.jpg

Blkboxster 07-28-2008 11:21 AM

looks like its in great condition, congrats and enjoy!!

LoveBunny 07-28-2008 01:01 PM

Looks really nice. Congrats!

9eighty6 07-28-2008 01:04 PM

Congratulations! Welcome to the forum ... looks like you got a great example. The rims are really sharp too.

tboyer 07-28-2008 01:48 PM

Cool, looks like a nice '99, enjoy!

Adam 07-28-2008 03:49 PM

Wow... looks like it's been loved. Black is the hardest color to keep new looking.

RandallNeighbour 07-28-2008 03:56 PM

It's not as "basic" or stripped as you might think. That rear storage compartment is a pricey add-on and is exactly what you need for rear speakers.

Do you have rear speakers installed?

If not, that should be your first mod on the car. The PNP kits aren't expensive, easy to do yourself, and make a BIG difference in enjoying the sound system top up or down.

RobZ 07-28-2008 04:25 PM

Great looking car and wheels. I'm also a new owner and I'm having a blast with it compared to other cars I've had. :cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
It's not as "basic" or stripped as you might think. That rear storage compartment is a pricey add-on and is exactly what you need for rear speakers.

If not, that should be your first mod on the car. The PNP kits aren't expensive, easy to do yourself, and make a BIG difference in enjoying the sound system top up or down.

:o I don't want to hijack but where can I find good info on the rear speakers? My 02 has the same rear storage compartment and I'm in serious need of an audio upgrade.

Adam 07-28-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobZ
Great looking car and wheels. I'm also a new owner and I'm having a blast with it compared to other cars I've had. :cheers:

:o I don't want to hijack but where can I find good info on the rear speakers? My 02 has the same rear storage compartment and I'm in serious need of an audio upgrade.

I think Sunset Porsche or Suncoast Porsche has the best deal on rear speakers. Under $200 if I remember correctly.

Brucelee 07-28-2008 05:14 PM

That is a very nice looking car. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your ride.

:dance:

RandallNeighbour 07-28-2008 05:27 PM

dang. I found them brand new for $95. They have five pairs on ebay too.

Snag these ASAP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-OEM-Rear-Speaker-Kit-NEW-Upgrade-Today_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em14Q2el131 8QQhashZitem320279750040QQitemZ320279750040

RobZ 07-28-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Do you have them installed? If so, how much do they improve the soundstage? I'm considering other options because Porsch seriously dropped the ball with the Boxster's audio.

RandallNeighbour 07-28-2008 06:24 PM

I have them installed. Paid double that for a used pair three years ago.

They're not the finest audio loudspeakers one can buy, but they really make the stereo worth turning on when installed. The grills fit perfectly and the sound quality isn't bad.

Like I said, I highly recommend buying them and doing the install yourself. It makes for a fun and frustrating Saturday :cheers:

fragdude 07-28-2008 09:54 PM

I bought a factory porsche short shifter (which I believe is just a B&M in a different color with the whole mounting console) and an EVOMS shift linkage used for a reasonable price. I think that it was an excellent mod! Shifting is much more involved and I have even more of a desire to put on a louder exhaust cause shifting is now so much more fun! It was only 215 for me, but you can buy a B&M shifter from www.bumperplugs.com for $200 + shipping.

They are easy to install and I think its fantastic!

Lil bastard 07-28-2008 11:37 PM

Great color combo !

Good Luck !!

E Kaplan 07-29-2008 01:29 AM

Enjoy the car! I have a triple black '00. I did not like the looks of the gray front grills and installed black metal mesh made to fit over the grills. It looks 100% better. They usually sell the kits for about $60 on ebaymotors. Easy to install. I don't have any pics, but if your interested, let me know and I will take a few.

Eric K

Mike_Yi 07-29-2008 08:01 AM

Quote:

No rear speakers . . . yet. $95 off eBay sounds like a great deal, but I think I might spend the money to get those PnP speakers. I have heard that they are much better speakers.

Actually, the first mod I do on the car will be a hardtop. I will probably go with a GT Motorsports fiberglass top. I know they've had some problems with finish, but they are light and available. Used tops are hard to come by and expensive.

Mike_Yi 07-29-2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E Kaplan
Enjoy the car! I have a triple black '00. I did not like the looks of the gray front grills and installed black metal mesh made to fit over the grills. It looks 100% better. They usually sell the kits for about $60 on ebaymotors. Easy to install. I don't have any pics, but if your interested, let me know and I will take a few.

Eric K

Do you have a picture of that?

Mike_Yi 08-04-2008 11:07 AM

Heh. I'm ending up doing the rear speaker mod first after all. Got a line on a used hardtop though. Just waiting for the guy to get back to me.

Perfectlap 08-04-2008 11:41 AM

time to harvest those pumpkins :D (deamber).