986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Spoiler deployment programming options (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/17197-spoiler-deployment-programming-options.html)

kurssat 06-16-2008 11:01 PM

Spoiler deployment programming options

Is there a way to program the spoiler to automatically deploy at a speed other than the pre-set 75mph?

Tool Pants 06-17-2008 03:05 AM

I have played around with a PST2 and did not see a function for doing something like this.

rick3000 06-17-2008 06:31 AM

In the past when this has been asked, it was concluded that there was no way to do it. Although you might me able to do something to the wiring of the relay, but I have no idea how.

Lil bastard 06-17-2008 06:38 AM

Why would you want it to extend at another speed? The spoiler is an integral part of the car's handling and at any speed higher than 75MPH, your car will become unstable before the spoiler extends. Extended at lower speeds will create excess drag affecting performance and mpg.

If you want it just for the 'look', there are kits to install a dash mounted switch for manual deployment so you can extend it at any speed while leaving the programmed default in place.

Jaxonalden 06-17-2008 08:20 AM

Like the Lil' Bastard said you can manually activate it from the consol with the optional spoiler switch (I have one installed), or just train your toes to flick the switch by your left foot on the fuse panel. If memory serves me correctly if you push the switch it will deploy the spoiler, without holding it down, and will stay out until you go over 75mph then drop below 50mph. If you don't exceed 75 it will just stay out. At that point you will have to hold the retract side of the switch until the spoiler in retracted because of safety reasons

rick3000 06-17-2008 09:26 AM

Do you know what the safety reasons behind having to hold the switch to make the spoiler do down are? I love that it goes up automatically, but having to hold the switch to put it down is annoying.

vipola 06-17-2008 10:44 AM

If somone stick his finger in the spoiler when it go down, you can stop the motion as soon you hear him yelling by removing your finger from the switch.. :)

deliriousga 06-17-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipola
If somone stick his finger in the spoiler when it go down, you can stop the motion as soon you hear him yelling by removing your finger from the switch.. :)

But don't remove his finger too fast. You wouldn't want him to fall off the trunk at 70mph. ;)

The reason I would like to change the speed when it goes up is so if I got pulled over and was told "we know it doesn't go up until 75mph" I can truthfully say no, mine is programmed to go up at 60mph (below the speed limit). :cheers:

kurssat 06-17-2008 11:13 AM

The max speed limit for most of the roads around here is 65mph. Frankly I am not sure if the spoiler will deploy automatically or not. Most of my high speed runs have been short and I have been focused on the road not the spoiler.
If I could re-program it I would set it for 65-70 mph that way I could periodically verify that it is automatically working properly while driving along the highway.

vipola 06-17-2008 11:54 AM

No cops will know enough your boxster to tell you that you where speeding because your wing to out at 65mph.. :P and if that really happen just tell him you moved it up manually before leaving to show off in front of a chick on the sidewalk.. :P

rick3000 06-17-2008 12:36 PM

The original concept Boxster did not have a switch in the footwell. Porsche specifically added it so you can't get busted for speeding by a cop knowledgeable about Boxster's.

If you want to deploy the spoiler at a lower speed, install a switch. It is really simple to add, just remember to put it down when you get off the freeway.

Jaxonalden 06-17-2008 12:47 PM

If you want to save yourself the trouble just use the footwell switch. Trust me, the pain you go through just to fill a switch position so you can get a "chubby" by activating the spoiler will wear off fast. I now only use mine to raise it up so I can wash it, I could have done that through the footwell switch.

I'm more involved with watching out for cops than giving my Boxster an erection.

ekam 06-17-2008 01:36 PM

Not sure why I would want to manually erect it either, other than showing it to friends how cool it is.

But really, it's just part of the function of the car. Too bad I can't see it when driving. :matchup:

Lil bastard 06-17-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurssat
If I could re-program it I would set it for 65-70 mph that way I could periodically verify that it is automatically working properly while driving along the highway.

That's what the fault light on the dash is for.

rick3000 06-17-2008 02:50 PM

My spoiler switch has had a practical application a few times. While driving on the freeway at 70mph in high winds, I have deployed the spoiler to improve the cars handling and it made a difference in such strong wind.

Your little chat has reminded of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VsGjXkHeg