Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #1

Spec Boxster Build

Check this out...

http://www.barrickpickeringracing.com/_mgxroot/page_10733.html

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That is really cool! I know that Top Gear did a BMW race car conversion in a week, but have never seen anyone actually do it in such a short time.
Also, isn't that Todd from Epiq's car? I think he has one of the pictures of that car in his signature.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:27 AM   #3

The page mentions Epiq a lot and how they couldn't have done it without Epiq's help.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #4

The owner lives near me but I have never met him. He is going to do this on a 1999 996.

There are 2 spec racing sites.

http://www.boxsterspecracing.whsites.net/phpBB2/

http://www.boxsterspec.com/index.php?act=idx

That car and a few others were at Laguna Seca.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #5

with the price of boxsters so low, it has crossed my mind more than once (even though I really cannot effectively afford to do so) to ditch my miata and pick up a second boxster and dedicate it to autosports. The boxster seems to be very diy friendly, and the new boxster spec series seems to have good momentum.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Bill Pickering and Brad Roberts are at the forefront of the Spec Boxster class. I see their cars at major events and time trials but don't know them personally. Nice how to journal on taking a street car to track car. Spec 986 and Spec 944 is a great way to go if your interest is points racing. They regularly outrun cars that are "supposed to be" much faster in their little 2.5's on a stock motor.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #7

yah, I've seen and watch them in person and even on the same grid on my last AX..all I could say is, they could kick major arse in the track and on auto x.

I agree with kabel..just look at the price of the boxster below

1999 Porsche Boxster Cabriolet 2D
$9,988
http://veracom.com/preowned.inventory.php?thisVehicle=J3543B
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
For under $10k with 34k miles there has to be something wrong with it, probably a salvage title. But you can get into an older Boxster with 50-60k+ miles in the sub-$10k range.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
For under $10k with 34k miles there has to be something wrong with it, probably a salvage title. But you can get into an older Boxster with 50-60k+ miles in the sub-$10k range.
naahh, I don't think it's a salvage title. I know the owner of the dealership and he's a pretty straight up guy, bought a car from them last year and other guys that i know who has bought from him, i think he just want to get rid of it and the same time it attract people to see other cars..if you could see, he marked down a lot of his cars coz' car dealers here are suffering like how the housing market is
Old 06-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #10

Geez, Gerry, you scared me there for a second

I did a quick check on AutoTrader. There are 231 - 1999 Boxsters for sale in the US with an average price of $16,719

There are 81 - 1999 Boxsters for sale in the US with a manual transmission and under 60k miles with an average price of $18,238

I bought my car for $22k two years ago with 28k miles.

I have put 24k miles on my car so far, and it has depreciated $4k

I don't think that's too bad

Something about the price of that car in San Mateo doesn't make sense...

I did find one cheaper, though :

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=0&address=60195&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=POR&model=BOXSTE&make2=&start_year=1999&end_year=1999&min_price=0&max_price=10000&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #11

OMG..now I'm depressed. You could get one for under 4k

My son just got his driver license, you think he would like that car

Good find, Nick!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #12

Don't get depressed by the Boxster on Autotrader for under $4K. 99.9999% it's a complete scam. I did a lot of shopping on Autotrader a few months ago when I was going to ditch my old Honduh DD. What I found was that every time I found a nice car for an unbelievable price it was a scam. If it's too good to be true on Autotrader, then it probably is!

As for the $10K Boxster from a dealer, I would be a bit weary of that one. The front trunk just looks wrong to me... no spare tire, trunk light out of place, some of the carpeting clearly pulled out where it shouldn't be, plastic covers missing, etc. This would suggest possible front end damage repair. I'd look at this one pretty carefully at that price.

I saw something similar at a local dealer - 2001 Boxster S. The dealer claimed no previous accidents or repairs. The problem was that I could clearly see that the radiator shroud on the passenger side was missing. Now this is a huge piece of rubber that directs air over the radiator. It can't just fall out! The ONLY way it could be missing is if the front bumper was removed... obviously for damage repair. The dealer was unquestionably lying.

Bottom line though I could care less how much our Boxsters depreciate. I absolutely love my car. I'm in it for the long haul and will keep this car just as long as I can, so I'm not really concerned with its resale value. Some of these low prices though do entice me to get another Boxster down the road to replace my Honduh as my DD.

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote