Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #1

Small issues, need help or advice...

Hey guys,

Its been a rough first month of ownership, but I'm finally down to ONLY two problems.

1) I have a rattle or shake sound that happens over bumps coming from what sounds like the driver's door and I can't figure out what it might be. It sounds kinda metallic and springy if that makes sense.

2) After it rains and I drive around I can hear water flowing around and the floor behind my seat gets pretty damp and wet. No actual puddles, but it is really annoying. The dealer (non-Porsche) I purchased the car from thought it was initially the top seals, but then later said upon inspection the door needed a slight re-alignment, and gave it back to me "fixed". Definitely not fixed. What do you guys think it may be?

Car is an 01, and its not an "S".

concept84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
BECAREFUL of the wetness around the driver seat carpet. It can build up a puddle underneath your seat where the alarm unit is.....mucho $$$$. Check the drain points that are accessible when the top is in service position.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:00 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept84
Hey guys,

1) I have a rattle or shake sound that happens over bumps coming from what sounds like the driver's door and I can't figure out what it might be.

2) After it rains and I drive around I can hear water flowing around and the floor behind my seat gets pretty damp and wet.
Lubricated the catch on the door that latches the frame when the door is shut. A spray or 2 of WD-40 fixed my door rattle.

As mentioned by Blink, make sure all of the drains are clear.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:56 AM   #4

For the noise from the door you can try lubricating the rubber door seal. My driver's door makes a squeaky noise, and using something like Lexol's Vinylex on the seals quietens it down for a while.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #5

I'm going to try and tackle all of this tomorrow. The pictures of the drain cleaning look easy enough; are there any that are tricky to get to?

Also, what should I look for in the door, to better describe the sound, it only happens over bumps, and it kinda sounds metallic as if someone shook a couple pieces of metal. And then it is gone just as quick as it came.

Also, thanks for the help!
concept84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #6

Another thing to look at is that your convertible top is properly aligned. The "clamshell" (fiberglass piece that lifts up when lowering the top) should sit tight against the weatherstrip located on the back of the convertible top. If there is a gap, there are several adjustment points. The most common culprit is the tension cables (located on the bottom of each side of the top), these connect to adjusters which have a bolt to set the tension. If there is too much tension, it will pull the rear of the top down tight enough to make a gap between the weatherstrip and clamshell. Also check that the "skirt" coming off the back of the top is properly spread out and connected to the plastic catches on the rear firewall. This helps any water which makes it past the weatherstrip to channel into the drain holes, which as mentioned before should be inspected for debris. If all else fails, sit inside the car while having someone take a hose slowly over the vehicle until you find where the water is entering.

releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote