Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #1

1999 Porsche Boxster

Hey all,
I am in the market for a different car. I came across a 99 Boxster and went for a test drive and absolutely love the car! I currently own an 01 A4.
I guess my questions are what to look and listen for on these cars as far as problems. The car has a 130k miles on it... Obviously very high but he has service records from a Porsche dealership for the past 6 years and has done the scheduled maintenance for every 15k miles. it has a new clutch and belts and tensioners done in the past 10k miles i believe. What do you guys think? the car seems very solid as well. Any opinions or past experiences that you might have had are greatly appreciated!!

forcefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That is a lot of miles, and your looking at a lot more maintenance cost, than with a lower mileage one. I don't know what your price range is, but I got my '99 a year ago with 17K miles for 20k. I would say if you can find a lower mileage car go for it.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #3

what's the asking price

What's the asking price? Get it inspected by Porsche. Have the fuel injectors been replaced? How's' the suspension and brakes? I once bout a 1991 300ZX with 105K miles and spent the next 3 months and a few $K fixing lots of stuff like new injectors, injector connectors, timing belt, etc. but if Porsche say's it's in good shape... Get a professional opinion.

Good luck.
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #4

If the previous owner didn't have wheel bearings and control arms and trailing arms replaced, you'll be doing these in the next 18 months. High mileage boxsters encounter a lot of suspension and wheel wear issues.

There's a bunch of other stuff that goes out on boxsters before 100k, so you better read up on that maintenance file before you buy it or you'll be doing those repairs too.

Check out my web site for details on what goes out on our cars.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #5

Thank you guys very much for the help!
He had brakes redone when he had clutch and such done... im going to take a closer look at the maintenance stuff tomorrow when i go look at the car again and look for the other things you guys have said(injectors, wheel bearings, control arms, and such)
Thanks again i will do a little more reading

I usually do alot more reading before i post for help but i have no time right now
and i really appreciate the help... LOTS!
Old 06-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #6

You failed to mention the asking price. Don't forget to check Edmunds. I'm going on a limb but I think any car with that many miles should go for under $10K.

I bought a 2001 S with 7,000 miles on it in 2007 for $28K. I think the Blue Book is now around $25K. Yes, these cars depreciate really fast. If you look really hard and can negotiate well, you can pick up a 1999 or 2000 911 with 30,000 miles for around 30K - depends on what you can spend!

With forums like this these cars are easy to DIY.

Good luck!
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #7

Sorry about that.. $11,500 and dont have much to spend an should probably save my pennies for less headache down the road. This guy is the second owner and like i said has all service records from the past 6 years. the car is immaculate and comes with the Porsche hardtop as well. Im pretty sure i can negotiate down a little bit. but i have been reading on here since like 8
Old 06-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
$11,500 is a bit high in my opinion. There are a lot of pampered Porsches around, so I would recommend to look at a few before you make a decision. And be sure to have a few grand in reserve for repairs, etc.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:27 AM   #9

Ya but most of those pampered porsches i cant afford.... So should i save my pennies for a year or see if i can talk the guy down?
What do you think would be a reasonable price?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 AM   #10

forcefed,

If you look at Kelley Blue Book :

$8,850 trade in
$10,700 private party
$14,550 retail

If you look at Nada Guide :

$11,225 low retail
$13,250 clean retail
$14,000 high retail

There are 17 - 1999 Boxsters for sale in the US on AutoTrader :

Highest Price : $19,850
Lowest Price : $9,990
Average Price : $12,959

( these all have over 100k miles )

According to Edmunds :

$8,505 trade in
$10,140 private party
$11,984 retail

I would say $10,500 would be a reasonable price...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #11

Holy crap. My 1997 with 105k is worth nothing, especially when I consider all I've put into it.

I can never sell my car. Period.

This seals the deal. I will drop a 3.6 in it like Tholyoak did before I consider selling it for a new one. I'll forge ahead with my leather interior work, and I'll save up for a proper paint job and new top.

Reminds me of the story about a city boy who used a farmer's outhouse while taking a drive through the country. Before he left the farm, he told the farmer that when he cleaned out the hole (ignorant assumption) that he should retrieve the pocket change that fell down into it.

The foolish farmer ran to his mattress, took out a fistful of cash, and threw it down the hole to his wife's horror and dismay. She said, "Why are you throwing our life savings in that stinky hole?"

He said, "If you think I'm going down there for a little pocket change, you're nuts!"

And so it goes with our aging Porsches. I'm throwing my life savings at this car to keep it running well although it's anything but an investment.

And now, back to the accurate valuation and condition of said 1999 Boxster, Forcefed!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #12

Nick,
Thank you for the pricing! That helps a lot, I looked it up on KBB but the other compairisons help as well!!

Randall nice story haha!
Im going again to look at it tonight and printed off a whole bunch of stuff from your website(the i want a porsche one) and am going to show that to the guy and take the service records and see what he has done. Th front drivers side control arm sqeeks a little when i was driving it... This usually means it needs replacing correct?

The car is in very very nice shape for how many miles are on it. There is a small pea size dent in the rear bumper and a few small scratches here and there.
The mileage is the only thing that worries me and i dont want my first Porsche experience to be a bad one

Thank you guys for the help once again!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #13
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I agree that $10,500 would be fair, if you could him down to $10,000 that would be even better. Good luck, with the purchase and post some pictures once you get the car!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #14

If i get i will do just that!... Someone will probably have to tell me how to do it though!

And if anyone else can tell me some stuff to check out on the car let me know please!

Thanks once again for all the help!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #15

Bad news... The guy backed out after i got approved for the loan and such!
Guess it wasn't ment to be! Soooo now the search continues!!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #16

Hang in there!

It took me months to find my Boxster. I kept calling right after they sold the car to someone else or like you the owner would back out. That happened twice. The only car where the seller was falling all over himslef for me to buy was a 2001 S that would not shift into second gear. (no thanks)

Stay after it and you will find your car. Try AutoTrader.com or Cars.com. I had to drive over 6 hours to pick mine up, but I have been in Heaven ever since

Greg
2002 Triple Black - Das Schwarzer Panther

gregdacat is offline   Reply With Quote