Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #1

Dash Airbag Cover Removal?

Hi guys, does anyone know how to remove the airbag cover from the front of the passenger-side dash? My original one got scratched badly by the dog. I purchased a new one from Sunset Imports, but it is in no way obvious to me how to replace it from looking at it and Sunset claims that they are not "permitted" to give me any instructions. I am loathe to go through my local dealer for assistance, so if anyone has insight it will be greatly appreciated.

gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
gball:

Do you have a Bentley Manual? I don't have mine with me right now but used it to remove my whole passenger airbag. I removed mine to aid in removing and replacing the horizontal strip that separates the upper and lower dash.

I don't remember if the whole process is needed just to replace the cover, but it seems like I had to remove a couple layers of foam to access underneath the dash; them maybe I needed to disconnect an air conditioning vent; and finally loosen two vertical bolts. This allowed the whole unit to slide out toward the passenger seat where I disconnected the airbag while I worked on the horizontal strip. It seems like the airbag cover hinged somehow from the top, but I just can't remember any details.

Of course I disconnected the battery for at least 15 minutes before working with the airbag and my car is a MY 2000. 987 models are probably different.

If someone has access to the Boxster Bentley manual they detail the process nicely.

Best of luck,

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote