Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #1

What headlights do I have?

I know newb question, but I'm pretty sure i have Litronics or Xenon. At night they are a bright bluish color and do not look like bulbs, i have a 2001 S so not sure which one it is? They also adjust themselves up and down when the key is turn on and off.

BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #2

If your lamps move up and down, you have Porsche Litronics, which are what they call true xenon bulbs. Litronic = xenon. Same thing, different name.

The standard halogen beams do not self-level or move up when the brights are flashed.

Pray they don't fail any time soon. MUCH more expensive to replace a xenon bulb over a halogen bulb. I think they're well over $100 each.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #3

Litronics not coming on consistently.

I'm so relieved to see this thread. I have the same lights on my 2001S. The other night I encountered a problem with them coming on consistently when I turn the switch to the "on" position. It was both lights. I could see them in a store window in front of me and the flickering was bilateral. They sort of fluttered and refused to light up. Eventually they did come on after I repeatedly turned them from the off to on, over and over. This was disconcerting the other night when my wife and and I went to dinner before the sun went down and left the restaurant after dark. I don't want this car to be a "dayly" driver. Anybody with suggestions for what the problem could be?

pacific986 is offline   Reply With Quote