Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #1

Shift linkage BROKEN!

I dropped my car off over the weekend to get my side skirts installed and they are done, but I got a call this morning saying that my shifter is broken, specifically the shift linkage.

Maybe those upgraded shift linkages are actually worth it, even though everyone always say they are a waste of money...

I'll post pictures later, and make a new thread with pictures of the skirts installed with the new wheels.

JoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #2

That's exactly why I installed one. My engine will blow up long before before the linkage breaks. Wait, was that supposed to be reassuring?
Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #3

so what's the best deal anyone can find, I'm trying not to spend too much time on this at work...
Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #4

[QUOTE=JoshMD]I dropped my car off over the weekend to get my side skirts installed and they are done, but I got a call this morning saying that my shifter is broken, specifically the shift linkage.
[QUOTE]

Was it broken when you took it in? Did they take it for a "spirited drive" and break it? I'd be pissed!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #5

The shop works on very expensive bentlys and ferraris and such, so they seem to be very responsible there. I was told the car is on video every time it was moved and, he said that the broken shavings look like they have been there for a while, so this was inevitable. Oh well better that it happened there than in the ghetto or something at night.

I got a schnell one from vertex for a good price, but I won't get it until friday, looks like I'll be cabbing it until friday unless I can talk my insurance company into getting me a car.

The amazing thing is, this part "996 424 147 00" is actually used somewhere on the CGT, see below:

Old 05-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #6

pictures

looks like it just wore out, too much hard shifting I guess...

The bastard part:

Looks like the inner bushing just wore out, nothing to do with the piece being plastic:

This is what it's supposed to look like new, next to the schnell one:

So basically, the moral of the story is you DON'T need a metal shift link. The part that actually wore out is just as susceptible to wear on the upgraded aluminum link. Oh well, I already ordered it....
Old 06-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #7

OEM flimsy

The OEM ball joint plug is made out of flimsy ABS plastic as well as the part itself, the plug is supported by a rubber boot. In the Schnell replacement. the plug is made of a harder nylon type plastic and supported by aluminium, I had replaced the original at 46k miles with OEM and at 57k with Schnell 3k miles later it looks new and still tight.
Marcelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #8

How many miles on your car when this gave it up? I replaced my shift cables at 60,000 as there was some fairly significant wear.

litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote